Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default There is beauty in the cold...

My window, sundayName:  window 2-15-2015 PM.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  42.0 KB

Nice. I'm enjoying finding funny faces in that image.

Our neighbor has an odd furnace exhaust. It exits through a side wall and vents downward. There's a five-foot stalagmite icicle forming beneath it, growing on the seat of a bench.

I should snap a photo but I probably won't.

^^

Thats what I thought too! It looks like a crowd of people with their arms up : )

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  11.4 KB

^^^ Think spring HT, THINK SPRING!

I see a face or two or three. How scary is that?

Perhaps the inside of my kitchen sink cold water line looks like this if illuminated? Seeing as how no running water has come out of it for days!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Nice. I'm enjoying finding funny faces in that image.

Our neighbor has an odd furnace exhaust. It exits through a side wall and vents downward. There's a five-foot stalagmite icicle forming beneath it, growing on the seat of a bench.

I should snap a photo but I probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Think spring HT, THINK SPRING!
    Funny you say that, sent flowers to a health worker for my husband, that was the note on the card THINK SPRING!

... Perhaps the inside of my kitchen sink cold water line looks like this if illuminated? Seeing as how no running water has come out of it for days!
    A recommendation heard on the radio yesterday: Do not use a blow torch. It's a fire hazard. Instead, try warming it with a hair dryer. Start from the faucet and work backwards toward the coldest part.

Thanks for the advice J. Sadly, I have the thin plastic tubing/ piping so I can do nothing but wait and hope there are no cracks. I've been running the water 'drip-drip' but it did not stop the freeze of the cold line. Hot water line ok. Love a sink on an outside wall......
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-18-15 at 09:24 AM.

Zacha,
    I had the same problem. My plumber told me to leave that door open under the sink so the heat can enter there. It has worked so far.

Thanks I am 'a-waiting'. Fun washing dishes in hot only water! Birds are chirping by my window. How cool is that? What a great day to take off from work!

Thanks for the advice J. Sadly, I have the thin plastic tubing/ piping so I can do nothing but wait and hope there are no cracks. I've been running the water 'drip-drip' but it did not stop the freeze of the cold line. Hot water line ok. Love a sink on an outside wall......
    Leaving the doors open on the bottom of the sink cabinet to circulate heat is sound advice in these arctic temperatures. Put a space heater on low near the access, underneath the sink. [[be sure to keep an eye on it!) That should expedite the defrost cycle.

Thanks I am 'a-waiting'. Fun washing dishes in hot only water! Birds are chirping by my window. How cool is that? What a great day to take off from work!
    I love the bird chirping comment, birds seem to leave here in fall. I put out feeders but the other critters attack. I am a super morning person, when my birds return I am a super happy person!

I have an outdoor plumbing issue, turned off the water but know I have to deal with that in the spring $$$$$

Every day is a great day to take off from work!

FYI-this will probably get moved to a "Non-Detroit" area, but I applaud your efforts. I, rather like the monolithic serenity of winter. Especially blankets of snow and overcast skies [[also in cities where the sky catches the city lights in a strange haze-like mist up there-even if, at times, it takes on a halogen-bruised type coloring).

Any art fans?: check out the winter works of John Henry Twatchman [[like "Greenwich Hills in Winter", "Old Holley House, Cos Cob", "Frozen Brook", and "Snow Scene in Utica"), Willard Metcalf [[especially the "Winter's Festival"-http://www.wikiart.org/en/willard-me...ter-s-festival-awesome!-hints of what we saw above and "The White Veil"), and-I'm going to hate myself for this one, since it's something I feel that is a bit of a secret that I don't want a run on the market for...but-any of the winter scenes by Kaii Higashiyama [[including "Winter [[Village Tops)" and "Winter Flower").
    Last edited by G-DDT; February-18-15 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    FYI-this will probably get moved to a "Non-Detroit" area, but I applaud your efforts. I, rather like the monolithic serenity of winter. Especially blankets of snow and overcast skies [[also in cities where the sky catches the city lights in a strange haze-like mist up there-even if, at times, it takes on a halogen-bruised type coloring).

Any art fans?: check out the winter works of John Henry Twatchman [[like "Greenwich Hills in Winter", "Old Holley House, Cos Cob", "Frozen Brook", and "Snow Scene in Utica"), Willard Metcalf [[especially the "Winter's Festival"-http://www.wikiart.org/en/willard-me...ter-s-festival-awesome!-hints of what we saw above and "The White Veil"), and-I'm going to hate myself for this one, since it's something I feel that is a bit of a secret that I don't want a run on the market for...but-any of the winter scenes by Kaii Higashiyama [[including "Winter [[Village Tops)" and "Winter Flower").
    Check out some of the Guy Madden films sometimes. Though most of them are a bit strange, some of his snow/ice shots are magical and genius.