Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another Craft Beer Coming to Midtown

"DETROIT, MI - Jolly Pumpkin's signature sour beers should be available on tap in Detroit's Midtown neighborhood by April, bringing another craft beer destination to the city.

Tony Grant, a principal of Northern United Brewing Company, said the Jolly Pumpkin team is working to fill the completely empty 5,000-square-foot 441 West Canfield space in order to hit their early 2015 target opening."

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...l#incart_river

Yeah I wish them luck, but unfortunately, I can't stand sour beer, so I'm out. Even their stout is sour.

Its the CASS MOTHERFUCKIN CORRIDOR. Fuck a Midtown.

Raise a glass to Cass Corridor FOREVER! ----

What makes it sour? The hops, the water or the timing [[fermentation)? I love a blond micro brew at WAB in Ferndale the rare times I do a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Yeah I wish them luck, but unfortunately, I can't stand sour beer, so I'm out. Even their stout is sour.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    "DETROIT, MI - Jolly Pumpkin's signature sour beers should be available on tap in Detroit's Midtown neighborhood by April, bringing another craft beer destination to the city.

Tony Grant, a principal of Northern United Brewing Company, said the Jolly Pumpkin team is working to fill the completely empty 5,000-square-foot 441 West Canfield space in order to hit their early 2015 target opening."

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...l#incart_river
    That is the target opening but we know how the city of Detroit deals with businesses who have target openings. Sister pie bakery target opening was supposed to be in March but is being pushed back to an unknown date. The Outdoor Adventure Center target opening was to be in May but now it's reported that the opening will be in late summer. There is still corruption and incompetence in city government for any businesses to make a target opening and stick to it. Get rid of Gary Brown, Charles Beckman, and all the other corrupt incompetent retread out of city government and maybe there will be progress

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What makes it sour? The hops, the water or the timing [[fermentation)?
    They use open fermentation to make their beer. Open fermentation allows in wild yeasts, which give beer a more sour flavor.

Basically, you're letting in what traditional brewers consider to be contaminants.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Its the CASS MOTHERFUCKIN CORRIDOR. Fuck a Midtown.
    You sound stable. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Basically, you're letting in what traditional brewers consider to be contaminants.
    It depends on the brewers, and what tradition. Belgian gueuze or lambic beers have a long history of brewing this way. Most other traditional brewers prefer civilized yeasts.