Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Jewish Cemetery on Jefferson?

A little help from the hivemind - when I was little, we'd take rides up Jefferson from downtown out through Grosse Pointe [[so I could "see the mansions" - I've been an architecture aficionado since a very young age), and I could've sworn that my parents used to point out what, so they told me, was the oldest Jewish cemetery in the area.

Now in my memory, it was on the east side of Jefferson *somewhere* in the immediate vicinity of the Joseph Barry sub, but when I look on both Google streetview and Bing birds-eye view, there are no cemeteries to be found.

Though there *are* a couple of suspiciously newer-looking houses just about where Lodge comes out at Jefferson.

So I ask you: has anyone ever had any knowledge of an old East-side Jewish cemetery being either moved or demolished? Or am I completely imagining things?

Maybe you were driving on Lafayette?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&CRid=2274772

Thanks for the response!

I don't think so though, because I distinctly recall that it was on the right - they may not have been right about the "oldest cemetery" part, but I remember there was a low concrete [[?) wall separating the cemetery from Jefferson, and I know that when my parents showed me the Manoogian Mansion, we took a right turn very shortly after passing the cemetery...

When was your childhood?

There certainly hasn't been a Jewish cemetery on Jefferson in my 55+ year lifetime. The nearby Jewish cemetery on Lafayette adjacent to Elmwood is actually the oldest one in Michigan though [[started in 1850 by Temple Beth El). There are a few others on the eastside, but further to the north.

There is couple on Van dyke north of Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    There is couple on Van dyke north of Jefferson
    Do you have anymore information about them? Are they within the city limits or beyond?

Hm. This would've been in the mid- to late 1980s. It's possible that I imagined it, but it was pointed out to me more than once...

I suppose it's possible that my parents just pointed out a cement wall and assumed, incorrectly, it was the one adjacent to Elmwood. This may have been a waste of a thread. I apologize.

There is an old Jewish cemetary on Van Dyke, but it is north of Gratiot, just south of Grinell. But that would not be close to Jefferson Ave. or The Manoogian mansion area.

There is a cemetery the grounds of the Poletown plant. I believe it is open to the public one day every year, but it is maintained by GM.

Check this out, it's the one on Van Dyke south of Grinnel, it has the wall\height difference you described: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4004...mQZBDV5Icg!2e0

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Check this out, it's the one on Van Dyke south of Grinnel, it has the wall\height difference you described: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4004...mQZBDV5Icg!2e0
    Awesome research and pic. I am always impressed at what DY provides in information.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    There is a cemetery the grounds of the Poletown plant. I believe it is open to the public one day every year, but it is maintained by GM.
    That would be the Beth Olem Cemetery.
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; February-19-15 at 02:24 PM.

Covered here in the Lost Synagogues of Detroit site.

Then there is Beth Olem Cemetery and Beth David.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    That looks very familiar, thank you, it's possible that that's the one!!! Not sure what we'd have been doing over there, but by sight if not geography, that may be it!

Thank you everyone who helped out, I knew I could count on DY!