Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Diamonds in the Rough - Boston-Edison House Bargains

Boston Edison neighborhood, a alley that's kept up and 3000 sq. ft. directly across the street from a park. All investments have risk but this one has tons of upside potential.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...33-20733?row=1

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the purpose of the little third-story pop-up is? I noticed that the garage of this house has something similar on it too.

If I were going to buy a house in B-E, which isn't likely because I don't really want a house that size, I would like a house on Voigt Park. That porch is pretty nice too.

You are talking a lot of money to fix it up though. Also, I think the 3000 sq. ft. estimate is low.

The third story pop up is probably a way to get light and air to the attic.

It's nice to see that the owners in the forties and fifties resisted the temptation to paint the woodwork on the main floor.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the purpose of the little third-story pop-up is? I noticed that the garage of this house has something similar on it too.
    The technical name is "dormer".

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    The third story pop up is probably a way to get light and air to the attic.

It's nice to see that the owners in the forties and fifties resisted the temptation to paint the woodwork on the main floor.
    Painting the trim white is still very popular, it depends on what you like. You may be surprised how beatiful old trim and wood panel walls can look when painted with a white enamel paint. It was night and day in my house, it really pops now. Not to mention it brightened everything up. I used an upscale Graco sprayer[[no brush strokes) to white-out my trim/stairway/panel wall/pocket doors... I have pine trim, not oak, so that made the decision easier..

I am hearing you. Heating and cooling is a factor as it takes a great deal of money to heat these massive home, some still with radiator heat. And no central air.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    If I were going to buy a house in B-E, which isn't likely because I don't really want a house that size, I would like a house on Voigt Park. That porch is pretty nice too.

You are talking a lot of money to fix it up though. Also, I think the 3000 sq. ft. estimate is low.

Since there were often servants quarters on the third floor, natural light is nice.

As for painting the trim white: if your house has old looking, black baseboards and trim, it's more than likely mahogany. Most houses built in the teens and twenties had mahogany as an option, kit houses included, and usually added $200 to the original price tag, [[so the house cost $1100 instead of $900). Oak and southern yellow pine....well, that's firewood, or most often, flooring, although southern yellow pine usually cost more than oak [[they had to get it from down-south).

I've been in plenty of houses where that red trim was painted white, only to strip it and find, tada, cherry, but these were usually Boston Edison, Indian Village, or University District where someone didn't know better, or care, in the 50, 60, 70's and painted.

Finally, and there's not alot of it left in these parts, but there's a house I work on regularly in Woodbridge that features American Chestnut pocket doors and stairway, including the treads and landings and balustrades. Often mistaken for pine and oak, raw chestnut has the same "yellow" look and tan graining as pine, but the tightness of oak. White oak grain in its raw form has no color, until you wipe thinner accross it to expose it. There are very few houses left in Detroit from that era, as there was a huge Chestnut blight beginning around 1910 that wiped out all the American Chestnut by the late 30's. Houses built before 1920, especially in Woodbridge, [[not much left in Brush Park), are the likely suspects to have Chestnut, but that "pine" you might be looking at on the first floor built-ins of a BE walk-thru is probably chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Since there were often servants quarters on the third floor, natural light is nice.

As for painting the trim white: if your house has old looking, black baseboards and trim, it's more than likely mahogany. Most houses built in the teens and twenties had mahogany as an option, kit houses included, and usually added $200 to the original price tag, [[so the house cost $1100 instead of $900). Oak and southern yellow pine....well, that's firewood, or most often, flooring, although southern yellow pine usually cost more than oak [[they had to get it from down-south).

I've been in plenty of houses where that red trim was painted white, only to strip it and find, tada, cherry, but these were usually Boston Edison, Indian Village, or University District where someone didn't know better, or care, in the 50, 60, 70's and painted.

Finally, and there's not alot of it left in these parts, but there's a house I work on regularly in Woodbridge that features American Chestnut pocket doors and stairway, including the treads and landings and balustrades. Often mistaken for pine and oak, raw chestnut has the same "yellow" look and tan graining as pine, but the tightness of oak. White oak grain in its raw form has no color, until you wipe thinner accross it to expose it. There are very few houses left in Detroit from that era, as there was a huge Chestnut blight beginning around 1910 that wiped out all the American Chestnut by the late 30's. Houses built before 1920, especially in Woodbridge, [[not much left in Brush Park), are the likely suspects to have Chestnut, but that "pine" you might be looking at on the first floor built-ins of a BE walk-thru is probably chestnut.
    I'd like to add that varnishes from that time era were heavily petroleum based and not that pure. Over the years they have a tendency to darken. A light, liquid stripper, [[such as Formby's) and some #0000 steel wool, will do wonders in putting the snap back into the grain without a lot of sanding and restoration. This is not a Winter project, since all the windows should be opened, and plenty of fans running. I don't think I've ever worked with Chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I am hearing you. Heating and cooling is a factor as it takes a great deal of money to heat these massive home, some still with radiator heat. And no central air.
    I guess it's in the eye of the beholder but I don't think 4 bedrooms 3 baths at 3000 sq. ft. Is "massive". Large and roomy for sure but certainly not unmanageable. If fact I believe it's size not being huge is what gives it tremendous upside. Any one conserned about the heat bill should never even consider it. She deserves a proper restoration by a owner occupier and given a period of years I believe they would be building good equity in their home. Building wealth in a individuals primary residence is exactly how citizens of Detroit can take part in the revival of the city.

I am currently in the market to buy a house and Boston Edison [[BE) has been on my radar lately. I guess my question is what is the crime like in BE? My realtor has also tied BE in with LaSalle Gardens, another neighborhood with charm, but surrounded by blight.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I guess it's in the eye of the beholder but I don't think 4 bedrooms 3 baths at 3000 sq. ft. Is "massive". Large and roomy for sure but certainly not unmanageable. If fact I believe it's size not being huge is what gives it tremendous upside. Any one conserned about the heat bill should never even consider it. She deserves a proper restoration by a owner occupier and given a period of years I believe they would be building good equity in their home. Building wealth in a individuals primary residence is exactly how citizens of Detroit can take part in the revival of the city.
    Judging by the pictures and it's location the house is almost certainly larger than 3000 square feet. The two main floors are probably ~3500. Basement and attic will double that and even if they aren't being used as living space they still suck up heat and maintenance dollars.

Speaking from experience, dusting a house this size can be unmanageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Judging by the pictures and it's location the house is almost certainly larger than 3000 square feet. The two main floors are probably ~3500. Basement and attic will double that and even if they aren't being used as living space they still suck up heat and maintenance dollars.

Speaking from experience, dusting a house this size can be unmanageable.
    Well that's why they come in different sizes and styles to meet everyones desires. Still willing to bet that having a basement vs slabs or crawls will always make it even more desirable. I guess you could get around the attic part by looking for a flat roof or cathedral upstairs ceilings but again having a attic will never hurt it in resale, if nothing else it just makes it that much easier to upgrade insolation.

658 Longfellow sold for cash within hours of being put up on this board. Obviously Lowell deserves a thank you from someone for the advertising

MAcc Guest

^^ For a $500K home, does anyone know what est.:

- Utilities per year
    - Taxes
    - Insurance, home and auto
    - Maintenance
    - Catholic school per kid [[$800/month)

Add to the per month costs of owning one of these Detroit mansions versus a newer build in say Novi or Northville? $500K buys you a very solid house in a top burb.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post

- Utilities per year
    - Taxes
    - Maintenance

Add to the per month costs of owning one of these Detroit mansions versus a newer build in say Novi or Northville? $500K buys you a very solid house in a top burb.
    I thought it was interesting that the house selling for $65K was assessed at $66K and property taxes were $4,700, but the house selling for $500K was assessed for $57K and taxed at $3,400.

- Utilities per year
    - Taxes
    - Maintenance

Very few people would make that comparison. There is reason it's discounted... everyone understands why. The comparison is what the like built home would cost in suburb x....versus the extra costs of living in Detroit. Not comparing this home to some 1994 bland mc mansion.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Very few people would make that comparison. There is reason it's discounted... everyone understands why. The comparison is what the like built home would cost in suburb x....versus the extra costs of living in Detroit. Not comparing this home to some 1994 bland mc mansion.
    I didn't know everything not in Detroit was a "bland 20-year-old mcmansion." For $500K you're getting a really nice quality house in Novi, probably less than 10 years old.

- Utilities per year
    - Taxes
    - Maintenance

Ok?...but I'm sure most people going to buy a Detroit mansion know about the trade offs. Where are you going to find a home with the similar features at that price in the metro area[[old and new)? I'm sure the next ones has to be at least $1.6 million

No heat bill

Attachment 25900

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by D_Town View Post
    Ok?...but I'm sure most people going to buy a Detroit mansion know about the trade offs. Where are you going to find a home with the similar features at that price in the metro area[[old and new)? I'm sure the next ones has to be at least $1.6 million
    Why are you so hostile? I didn't ask to prompt a debate or feisty exchange. I asked for real numbers, to gain real insight to the true costs of living in Detroit. If the extra costs of living in Detroit are as high as I assume, you're not comparing a $500K mansion in Detroit to a $500K house in Novi, it might be fairer to say compare a $500K mansion in Detroit to a $750K house in Novi. But that really depends on the numbers I'm waiting for someone to post. I hear about the highest taxes and highest insurance rates in the state. e.g. $800-1000 in auto insurance per month for a pair of cars? I pay $2000 annually for two luxury cars in the burbs. Someone please enlighten me.

- Utilities per year
    - Taxes
    - Maintenance

But $500k in the burbs doesn't buy true old world craftsmanship or historical significance. More often than not it buys a mcmansion. In sprawl. Sometimes it's not always all about money.

I didn't know everything not in Detroit was a "bland 20-year-old mcmansion." For $500K you're getting a really nice quality house in Novi, probably less than 10 years old.
    And again, I don't think someone looking at that house would view a cookie cutter new construction house, be it 5,10 or 20 yrs old on some cul-du sac in exurban Novi as a comp.

Before you even get to the detroit specific issues of higher auto insurance and property taxes... maintaining, heating, and insuring a house of that age, size, and with that level of irreplaceable craftsmanship is going to be wildly different from new construction no matter the location. Find an 8800 squrfoot house of similar quality and vintage in the suburbs that have them....perhaps then there'd be a comp. I'd guess that an actual comp in the burbs would be well over a million. Put it on Lake shore or anywhere along the lake in the GPs and it'd be 2 mill+. Tuck it away in Franklin.... probably even more.

My only point is that reasonable people aren't comparing Alden Park homes to new construction in Novi. I fail to see what your point is in comparing them.
    Last edited by bailey; February-18-15 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    No heat bill

Attachment 25900
    The air conditioning bill, however.....

And in hurricane land.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast