Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Woodward between Canfield & Mack Rail Contruction: Restaurants, Businesses?!

For the most part I avoid Woodward ala the rail construction, however I've noticed on the east side of Woodward between Canfield and Mack several business are nearly inaccessible. The Bangkok Express looks closed and they were already not getting much business.

The Sprint store seems lit -- I think people will walk over a lake-of-fire to get to that if that's there thing! But the inability to park changed my mind when considering the Falafil mid-east takeaway on the corner.

The other side of Woodward, Union Street and other folks have it better as the road is not closed. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-16-15 at 04:35 PM.

They are far from inaccessible. John R is open that entire length. All the side streets between Woodward and John R are open. The only difference is the lack of cross traffic at Willis and Alexandrine, and no street parking on Woodward [[which affects both the east and west sides of the street.

I live on West Willis and have been to Falafill 4X since they opened. I only have to walk a block up to Canfield to cross and cut back. Not a big deal. And well worth it.

Bangkok Express never had people in it when Woodward was 8 lanes wide and open in both directions. I'm not quite sure how it's managed to stay open so long. I don't think I've ever seen more than one table in there.

I don't know if it's that much of an issue since most of the places along that stretch of Woodward are largely destination places.

But this was a similar issue for the businesses along Second Avenue in Manhattan that had their storefronts blocked during construction of the Second Avenue subway line. However, I think those places were much more affected because they lived and died on pedestrian traffic.

Accessibility has to be a factor to some extent especially if you don't have a parking lot such as the dumb McDonalds across the street. Or like Union Street and other business down the road a bit. I am not driving down Woodward in that area much now, instead I'm using John R. But I doubt I'll walk from John R. up to Woodward much.

Spoken like a true Detroiter! I won't walk 500 feet to save my life. Let me get in my car to go from Target to Kohl's across the parking lot. Ridiculous!!

Key strokes don't know folks! You don't KNOW me or the station of everyone [[true Detroiter) to judge. I work out moderately, employed and walk daily withstanding that I'm currently in physical therapy for a chronic issue that affects my walking and balance -- particularly on ice. I have a handicapped placard that I use as 'needed'.

I prefer to drive, park near an entrance as they are available, or walk as I am able [[depending on condition and my sense of safety): that IS my prerogative. You dig.

Back to the OT, it's going to be interesting to see the 'long-term' effect upon the businesses with the change in accessibility Woodward east thru construction conclusion. Especially during the winter months with the ice and snow.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-15 at 11:58 AM.

True that. But you're OK with denigrating McDonald's and the large number of people for whom that is the only affordable food in the area?

OK, I see. It's all about you. You're only concerned about your ability to access those businesses, but pose the question as if the construction is an impediment to everyone, not just a very small segment of the population consisting mostly of you.

You already said:

I think people will walk over a lake-of-fire to get to that if that's there thing!

Well for thousands of people those businesses are their thing, so I'm sure they'll be walking across that lake of fire often.

Ummm, breathe and relax. That is not my only concern [[my ability to get there). It is not just about me. Re. the McDonalds hit, what's so personal about that? To most they are just another fast food giant [[albeit with shrinking sales) who can defend themselves, and do. Heck from time to time I eat Mickey Dees, hah!

And my comment about Sprint was just a joke for general consumption as most of us must keep our communications lines going. You've read what you want to into my comments.

I only offered my specific situation AFTER YOU made your disparaging general broad-brush comment [[Spoken like a true Detroiter...) that did not sound like a joke [[re-read what you wrote) so I shared my reasoning. Again, that is my prerogative.

And others may feel the same, or not - but to continue to broad-brush?!

I never said EVERYONE, or all or any other absolutes. That's your thing. Own it.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-15 at 05:49 PM.

Absolutely incredible how you think I'm the one who needs to breathe and relax.

I'm not the one who took a comment that I thought was very clearly a joke and got all offended.

I don't think there is one person who can say they haven't seen a person get in their car and drive to the other side of a parking lot...on many occasions. It's a character trait of Metro Detroiters. I've done it. I think we've all done it regardless of mobility issues.

I only countered with the McDonald's claim to show how easy it is to misconstrue the intention of a statement. Dumb McDonald's...what if I was the owner? Or I considered it codespeak for your dislike of the clientele it attracts? You can't claim that something offends you then turnaround and be just as derisive about something else, then claim it can't possibly be offensive.

And your comment about Sprint was an obvious joke? I missed the punchline just like you missed mine I suppose. It sounded like a statement to me. One that could be attributed to any business on the street that has that rabid a following. Hence why I followed with the statement that the businesses that do will have no trouble during construction.

Well, ok. Think SPRING! I think the weather has everyone a bit tense. Can we be friends?

Let's meet at Union Street......'figuratively' speaking, that is. They have the greatest clam chowder worth navigating any ice wall or orange construction cone to get to!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-15 at 10:22 PM.

OMG, you mean traffic has been inconvenienced by long-term construction in a major American city? Quelle horreur! Seriously, did this need its own post? How about this? How about you help out the local businesses you're so concerned about and stop bitching because you realize that there are a thousand other construction projects going on in hundreds of other American cities causing the same headache? I mean, profound thought, right?

I swear, I wonder how some of you on this website are able to dress yourselves in the morning.

Hah-Mon Dieu indeed! Then you'd have loved the 'nashing of the teeth' and angst [[smile) discussed here re. businesses and restaurants in Royal Oak complaining of lost revenue during the annual Woodward Dream Cruise. It' a varied forum. Some threads are stunners, others well....

Anyway, I think I'll go up to Falafill on Woodward soon, order my fav combo and ask THEM how they are doing with the long-term construction. Call-in orders may do the trick, parking along the side streets. Problem solved.

I think Bangkok Express is 'done' cookin' though.
    Not that they had so many patrons in the first place. But they had a mean sour soup.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-18-15 at 08:21 AM.

Right you are, http://www.bangkokcuisine.net/ How can they possibly compete with McDonalds right across the street? I stopped in there once and thought the food on par with Thai frozen dinners. I love Thai food, but never went back.

^^^ Yeah per their link they're officially CLOSED. Have you tried Falafill a few doors down? Yummy.

But McDonald's is not doing too well, construction or not, nationally. They're loosing revenue big time and had this this 'Give Lovin', Get Lovin' free food campaign?

http://www.takepart.com/video/2015/0...alds-pay-lovin

Last edited by Zacha341; February-18-15 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Have you tried Falafill a few doors down?

But McDonald's is not doing too well, construction or not, nationally.
    I work, for the most part, in Falafill Land, so going out for some after work or on my day off is kind of anti-climactic for me.

I'm lovin' it.........