Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Post Offices Studied for Closing...

As we've all heard in the news lately, the USPS is having severe money woes... and as you may or may not have noticed your neighborhood mailbox may have disappeared.

The USPS is studying the closure of over 700 Post Offices in the USA, maybe more.

Anyway here's the official website of what's being studied for closure [[official website). Due to the vast number of hits on this website, this link is very sloooooooooooooow:

http://www.prc.gov/prc-pages/default.aspx

So here's a quick access list of what's being studied for closure...

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/167508...20list_120.pdf

Note: the Michigan Post Offices that are being studied for closure are in 3 separate categories in this list... DETROIT, GREATER MI, SOUTHEAST MI.

GREAT LAKES DETROIT ANN ARBOR-SOUTH UNIVERSITY STA-FIN STA ANN ARBOR MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DEARBORN-MAPLE-FIN STA DEARBORN MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DEARBORN-TELEFORD STA-STA DEARBORN MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DETROIT-FISHER BLDG FINANCE-FIN STA DETROIT MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DETROIT-HAMTRAMCK-FIN BR DETROIT MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DETROIT-HARPER-STA DETROIT MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DETROIT-LINWOOD STA-FIN STA DETROIT MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DETROIT-OLD REDFORD-FIN STA DETROIT MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT DETROIT-PENOBSCOT POSTAL STORE-FIN STA DETROIT MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT WAYNE-WESTLAND-WESTLAND MALL-FIN STA WAYNE MI
    GREAT LAKES DETROIT WAYNE-WESTLAND-WESTLAND-BR WAYNE MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI GRAND RAPIDS-KENTWOOD-BR GRAND RAPIDS MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI GRAND RAPIDS-WYOMING-ROGERS PLAZA POSTAL STORE-FIN STA GRAND RAPIDS MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI GRAND RAPIDS-WYOMING-WYOMING-BR GRAND RAPIDS MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI KALAMAZOO-ARCADIA CREEK-FIN STA KALAMAZOO MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI LANSING-DELTA POSTAL STORE-FIN STA LANSING MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI LANSING-MERRILL STREET STATION-FND STA LANSING MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI MUSKEGON-MUSKEGON HEIGHTS-BR MUSKEGON MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI MUSKEGON-NORTH MUSKEGON-BR MUSKEGON MI
    GREAT LAKES GREATER MI SAGINAW-WHEELER STATION-STA SAGINAW MI
    GREAT LAKES SOUTHEAST MI FLINT-CODY-STA FLINT MI
    GREAT LAKES SOUTHEAST MI FLINT-DOWNTOWN FLINT-FIN STA FLINT MI
    GREAT LAKES SOUTHEAST MI FLINT-MOTT PARK-FIN STA FLINT MI
    GREAT LAKES SOUTHEAST MI FLINT-NORTHSIDE-STA FLINT MI
    GREAT LAKES SOUTHEAST MI MOUNT CLEMENS-SELFRIDGE ANGB-FIN BR MOUNT CLEMENS MI
    GREAT LAKES SOUTHEAST MI PONTIAC-PHOENIX-FIN STA PONTIAC MI
    GREAT LAKES SOUTHEAST MI ROYAL OAK-BERKLEY-BERKLEY-FIN BR ROYAL OAK MI

The last one is a bit confusing - do they mean the PO in Berkley, the one in Royal Oak, or the fleet service center across the street from the RO PO?

I live in Flint, and this one hits near and dear to my heart. If they close both the Cody station [[mine) and the Main [[downtown) where do we get or mail services at? There would be only one office left open, and it's out in Flint Township. You have to stand in line in there already for service-it's so busy. Imagine how long you would have to wait for service if it's the only Post Office left servicing the City of Flint?

IMHO, if they want to save money, start with dropping Saturday home delivery service. Most people are out and about on Saturday and worrying about catching the mail is a pain.

Wow, up until I moved last fall I lived a block from the Harper/Morang station, and it was always busy. Now that I moved to Toledo, they are planning on closing my local post office here as well! They already closed our license bureau [[like SOS in MI), causing me to have to drive 8 miles instead of walking 1.

Hey, we can't all have post offices in our communities. We've got to suck it up. There are bombs to buy and banks to shower with money!

Milesdriven, I'm not sure if that is the Harper/Morang Post Office or not.... the one at that corner is called "Kensington Station". Is there another one on Harper?

From reading this it looks like they are closing the big P.O. in Westland while the older one in Wayne stays open. Looks like I will have to snail mail my postal cousin for an offical answer.