Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Origin of the name 'Cass Corridor'..?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell us the origin of the given name, "Cass Corridor", and when it was first used?

Good question. All I know is that I live in the Cass Corridor and I don't know where the fuck a Midtown is. Fuck a Midtown.

^^^ Uh-oh you're up early ready to rumble Dj......!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-16-15 at 07:51 AM.

My guess is the late 70s through to the 80s? That's really when it was most populated and had an urban bohemian vibe as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Good question. All I know is that I live in the Cass Corridor and I don't know where the fuck a Midtown is. Fuck a Midtown.
    HEY! For once I agree with you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    HEY! For once I agree with you.....
    DJ & HT
    I second that emotion...but I'm old school as well

Not to deviate from the original question, but I don't suppose a slight image segue will hurt

Name:  Midtownbollox.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  79.6 KB

Are we really still doing this? The Cass Corridor is one specific part of Midtown, which covers a much larger geographical area, including other neighborhoods like Brush Park, Art Center, etc. All are Midtown; not all are Cass Corridor. There is no conflict. Just like Greektown is part of Downtown. Nothing to debate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Waymooreland View Post
    Are we really still doing this? The Cass Corridor is one specific part of Midtown, which covers a much larger geographical area, including other neighborhoods like Brush Park, Art Center, etc. All are Midtown; not all are Cass Corridor. There is no conflict. Just like Greektown is part of Downtown. Nothing to debate here.
    Thank you, the bug some people have up their ass about the Midtown thing is stupid.

I imagine it has to with how the Corridor was set up the replace Michigan Ave skid row. There is a thread on this with scanned articles about city council deliberating what to do with those displaced. Of note on the scanned articles one of the community group opposing it, the Midtown Community Action Council.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-Cass-Corridor
    Last edited by MSUguy; February-16-15 at 11:12 AM.

Well, in a pure, historical sense, Lewis Cass owned the land north of Michigan Avenue between Cass and Third. That long, narrow "corridor" of land takes its name from him. Anyway, sounds more urban than "the Cass farm," which is really what it was.

Midtown was a fabrication created by people who wanted to avoid truth and history. That Midtown has been adopted by the greater Cass Corridor is simply more 1984-speak.

Nobody today uses Cass Corridor. It like Negro. Or Bombay. The corporate-loving rebranders won this battle. Detroit has lost a unique place name, and gained a generic term used by half the cities in the world where a strong cultural reference held sway.

In a way I don't mind either, and happy to see most of the development in both areas. I will say this: the term "Midtown" is not that recent.

I knew of a small business in 1978 bearing Midtown as part of its name on the upper end of Cass heading towards Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    In a way I don't mind either, and happy to see most of the development in both areas. I will say this: the term "Midtown" is not that recent.

I knew of a small business in 1978 bearing Midtown as part of its name on the upper end of Cass heading towards Baltimore.
    You see? In the late 1970s somebody was using the same name that dozens of cities use, even though Detroit had a name rooted in more than 150 years of history already. Do you SEE? YOU SEE what RICHES we TREAD OVER?

I just tell people that Midtown was founded in 1817 by Cornelius R. Midtown, a well-known pimp and operator of opium parlors.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You see? In the late 1970s somebody was using the same name that dozens of cities use, even though Detroit had a name rooted in more than 150 years of history already. Do you SEE? YOU SEE what RICHES we TREAD OVER?

I just tell people that Midtown was founded in 1817 by Cornelius R. Midtown, a well-known pimp and operator of opium parlors.
    I remember reading about him in History books..... I think.

Obviously, gentrification is rapidly changing the demographic of the Corridor and what it was, will be a ghost of the past. What I object to is the attempt at blotting out its history by attempting to remove the name.
    Besides, if I were into gentrification, where would I rather live? In a monochrome wasteland in which there is no past, or a location that has gutsy historic flavor?
    What real estate and merchant types don't seem to realize, is that the reason people pay the sky-high prices in Soho, NY is in part due to the name association.
    For that reason, in their rush to 'sanitize' the area by expunging the Cass Corridor name, they are essentially devaluing the property in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    My guess is the late 70s through to the 80s? That's really when it was most populated and had an urban bohemian vibe as far as I can tell.
    It was known as the Cass Corridor way before the late 70's.

Hah! Arguably for that northern end at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    ...I just tell people that Midtown was founded in 1817 by Cornelius R. Midtown, a well-known pimp and operator of opium parlors.

My personal preference is Cass Corridor, but I like Detroitnerds post, and will borrow it if I am asked about this.
    "...I just tell people that Midtown was founded in 1817 by Cornelius R. Midtown, a well-known pimp and operator of opium parlors..."
    Last edited by Bobl; February-16-15 at 08:54 PM.

Say it loud, I'm a CCC and I'm proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Nobody today uses Cass Corridor. It like Negro. Or Bombay. The corporate-loving rebranders won this battle. Detroit has lost a unique place name, and gained a generic term used by half the cities in the world where a strong cultural reference held sway.
    Did I miss something? Since when do people not use the term Cass Corridor? I hear it used all the time, when referring to the appropriate area.

Here is a Susan Mosey presentation at the The Economics of Urbanism Symposium in Birmingham Michigan, 2014, re-coining the Cass Corridor into "Midtown", attempting to erase decades of history pertaining to a thread that leads for better or worse, to an exceedingly colorful cultural past, all in the name of short term financial expediency.

Throughout my life, I have done my best to keep these folks at arms length, and now they have finally caught up with me, ready to erase the very existence of my memories, to obliterate the Cass Corridor as if it never existed.
    Although the presentation is plainly about the Cass Corridor, see how many times you can hear her mention the Cass Corridor in this presentation. I got half way through before I needed to do something more constructive with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by esteban View Post
    Here is a Susan Mosey presentation at the The Economics of Urbanism Symposium in Birmingham Michigan, 2014, re-coining the Cass Corridor into "Midtown", attempting to erase decades of history pertaining to a thread that leads for better or worse, to an exceedingly colorful cultural past, all in the name of short term financial expediency.

Throughout my life, I have done my best to keep these folks at arms length, and now they have finally caught up with me, ready to erase the very existence of my memories, to obliterate the Cass Corridor as if it never existed.
    Although the presentation is plainly about the Cass Corridor, see how many times you can hear her mention the Cass Corridor in this presentation. I got half way through before I needed to do something more constructive with my life.
    You talk about wanting to do something more constructive with your life so you opened a new thread on the Cass Corridor??

See if any of the old threads are constructive enough for you before opening the same old can o' worms....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...Alley-District

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...um-coming-soon

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...nabis-Industry

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...sed-to-blossom

Back in the 40s and 50s, you would rarely hear areas called by a name [[Brightmore, East English Village, West Village). Areas were referred to by the major cross streets [[I live near Harper & Chalmers). "Downtown" was a vague thing meaning "down by Hudsons".

I hate that we keep going over this. Cass Corridor is neighborhood within Midtown. It's just that simple. It ain't that deep for anyone to be getting angry or hyper-territorial over. Call whatever locality whatever you want within the district; but don't try to pretend that Midtown was meant to erase the identity of any of the localities within it. If anything, it was meant to give these neighborhoods within the district an umbrella to shield themselves under if they chose to do so. These areas are better off for the umbrella. Look on either side the Lodge of Chrysler to see what happens when everything else was meant to fend for itself in the old inner-city. Only Woodbridge has any semblence of being a cohesive neighborhood and it's only because Wayne State was across the way.

Grow up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast