Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State names Belle Isle vendors

Interesting move by the State. I wonder how much it makes from these licenses.

I would like to see the canoes come back to the canals but I don't see anything mentioned here.

Also this article says the state has invested 12 million in the island and I am asking, "Really? Where?" There is little visible evidence. The must be including law enforcement cost but technically that is not investment.
    Last fall, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources asked area businesses to bid on 12 contracts for recreational and concession opportunities on the island. In total, 28 firms entered bids, with 10 Detroit-based companies submitting proposals. [[Just as a side note: Where were y’all? How could there only be 28 bidders for 12 plum contracts?)

Today the DNR released the winners:

• Athletic complex, including scheduling athletic fields [[two bids): Come Play Detroit in partnership with Healthy Detroit and New York City-based Biederman Redevelopment Ventures
    • Golf driving range [[four bids): Francine Pegues, president of Detroit-based Dan Teak LLC, who was most recently responsible for developing “lists of prequalified businesses and general contractors working on the $300 million Wayne County Consolidated Jail Project,” according to her LinkedIn page.
    • Mobile food services [[three bids; two winners): Nancy Kuykendall [[no further information); Gino Maisano, owner of What’s Up Dawg, which was formerly open in Dearborn
    • Mobile ice cream services [[five bids; two winners): Hamtramck-based NYC Yogurt, owned by Saad Almasmari; Detroit-based Edible Liz, owned by Liz Godwin
    • Kids row food concession [[five bids): Bert Dearing, owner of Bert’s Warehouse in Eastern Market
    • Watercraft/bike/snow sport equipment rental [[three bids): Wyandotte-based Riverside Kayak Connection
    • Electric carriage ride service [[two bids): Farmington Hills-based Andre’s Carriage Tours, owned by Dave Ducharme
    • Porta-potty and handwash station rental [[one bid): Ypsilanti-based Parkway Services Inc.
    • Mobile toy sales [[two bids): Joselyn Jackson, who owns St. Clair Shores-based Glitter-N-Glow Novelties
    • Beach chair/umbrella rental [[one bid): Detroit-based Caliente Detroit, owned by Alicia Chapman and a brand of her firm Chappy Group Investments LLC

The most high-profile contract is for the athletic complex, which was awarded to Come Play Detroit. The Detroit-based company has been organizing sports leagues on the island for the past five years and last year was awarded the contract to manage the permits and scheduling for the playing fields. That will continue this year while CPD founder Justin Jacobs will also be looking at a major overhaul of the complex.

"We're definitely looking to take the lead on a fundraising campaign to completely renovate the athletic complex and turn it into a state-of-the-art hub for health and wellness," Jacobs said.

Because that is a such a significant overhaul, Jacobs asked New York City-based Biederman Redevelopment Ventures to partner with him since it has been involved with such high-profile projects as Bryant Park in NYC and Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston.
    Belle Isle is a Michigan state park. Former Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr leased the 982-acre park to the state for 30 years beginning in February 2014. Since then, the state has invested nearly $12 million in the park, including removing hazardous trees and renovating and reopening bathrooms.
    Source: Crain's Detroit Business

"Watercraft/bike/snow sport equipment rental [[three bids): Wyandotte-based Riverside Kayak Connection"

Hopefully, Riverside will be handling canoe and kayak rentals. They have a store in Wyandotte and I've heard nothing but good reviews from their customers.

what's the time frame for all this stuff to be incorporated into the island?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Also this article says the state has invested 12 million in the island and I am asking, "Really? Where?" There is little visible evidence. The must be including law enforcement cost but technically that is not investment.
    They probably filed the so-called law enforcement euphemistically under "Cleaning", so it could be counted as such.

As for the princely sum...road construction is notoriously expensive. That western tip must've cost a good deal. I just hope the surface is up to snuff for the Gran Prix, it seemed a bit bumpy from one slab to the next...I was surprised how it felt at 20 mph...cannot imagine it at 100+ in a vehicle with very limited suspension travel.

Don't forget the tree removal. That was during the winter last year, wonder if it was cheaper than during the warmer seasons...it didn't make much sense when they did that work.

And they've done some extensive drainage work around the area where we used to have the picnic...that zone won't have the same water retention issues that used to keep that grass somewhat muddy underneath. That was also done when the weather was poor, I wish I'd kept track but it seemed they were there before the frost left...but then again we had a terrible winter last year. Big freezes everywhere...I guess a good backhoe doesn't flinch at such. [[or else none of the line breaks would get fixed in the wintertime) But it must've made the project that much more difficult, and thus more expensive...but my guess is it had to be done before the spring rains.

Oh, and those signs every twenty-five feet near the beach...and the new speed limit signs...those must've cost a few million or so.

Just keep that tab going, so the city can keep track of how much it'll cost to buy them out of that stupid-ass lease early!

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; February-15-15 at 10:20 AM.

Golf driving range [[four bids): Francine Pegues, president of Detroit-based Dan Teak LLC, who was most recently responsible for developing “lists of prequalified businesses and general contractors working on the $300 million Wayne County Consolidated Jail Project,” according to her LinkedIn page.

Really? Prequalified for what? Good lord...

Gannon, you always amuse and make me think and then re think.

I sure don't see the result of the "millions of dollars spent" I could do more with with 200K.

Still mad about the flack with "It's Jeff" memorial. Haven't dropped that at all and have a whole file and better contacts to be pursued in March. The state employees in charge are absolute arrogant little bastards but since I am a perfect bitch when pursuing right, I'll win.

Sumas

Hope we can race our gas-powered 1/8th scale unlimited hydroplanes once again.....

Name:  DSCF3300.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  46.5 KB

It's always fun reading your hyperbole about Belle Isle Gannon, but there really are improvements done to the park..... it;s just that a lot of changes are not easily spotted... such as structural improvements, new roofs, the long covered skylights at the Aquarium, the $150,000 worth of tree plantings last fall, including 115 flowering Cherry trees planted along the isle's roadway.

Just found this nice Youtube clip from last summer....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-bVaEU42E

Even City Council has refrained from criticism...
    Feb. 9, 2015.... "As state officials left the Detroit City Council chambers last week having discussed the first year of state management at Belle Isle, the consensus among them was the meeting went well."

It took 40 years of neglect to get the island to its' current condition... anyone who expects miracles is just being unrealistic....
    Last edited by Gistok; February-15-15 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ...the $150,000 worth of tree plantings last fall, including 115 flowering Cherry trees planted along the isle's roadway.

Geez, even John Hantz had the good sense to get volunteers to plant his trees.

I don't see where you read criticism in my post, Gistok. I was detailing the changes I have seen to Lowell, helping HIS perceptions and understandings.

And a well-run meeting does not imply everything is cozy between the council and the state's DNR...just that they were able to behave on both sides!

The only miracle I'm praying for is for this whole damn nightmare to end and our jewell return to the full possession and operation under the auspices of Detroit City government.

Cheers!

So no proposals to redevelop the larger golf course that is no longer in use?

I think it's funny that the state conservation officers had to get carny licenses to operate the giant slide! The only ones in the state! I heard the kayaks will not be by the beach. That is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    I heard the kayaks will not be by the beach. That is a shame.
    Hopefully, they're back on the canals where they belong. Would love to relive [[and have my nephews and nieces live) the canoe trips I took as a kid, finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The only miracle I'm praying for is for this whole damn nightmare to end and our jewell return to the full possession and operation under the auspices of Detroit City government.
    Being able to use and enjoy the "jewel" is far more important than whose name is on the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Being able to use and enjoy the "jewel" is far more important than whose name is on the sign.
    I agree in principal that I don't care who runs it but last summer state police took it over like it was an occupation situation. It was creepy. The whole atmosphere was hostile.

I don't even take my dogs for walks there now. I have my car pass, don't do drugs, don't blare music, no public intoxication albeit I still smoke but never flip the filters. Just was such a bad vibe.

Hopefully, the tranquility will return along with restored services. The battle zone attitude has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Hope we can race our gas-powered 1/8th scale unlimited hydroplanes once again.....

Name:  DSCF3300.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  46.5 KB
    I hope so too. I've attended the "Mini Gold Cups" multiple times. It was always interesting and fun. Why did the Mini Gold Cups end?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    So no proposals to redevelop the larger golf course that is no longer in use?
    If you're talking about the old golf course with the covered bridge, last summer it was operating as a disc golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    If you're talking about the old golf course with the covered bridge, last summer it was operating as a disc golf course.
    Not all of it, just a small section near the road. Still, it was good to see it being used for Frisbee golf.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    I think it's funny that the state conservation officers had to get carny licenses to operate the giant slide! The only ones in the state! I heard the kayaks will not be by the beach. That is a shame.
    I guess you don't realize just how strong the Detroit River current is.... once out in the river current, or downriver of Belle Isle... it would likely not be possible to Kayak back to the island... unless perhaps you have Olympics training in endurance....

All Kayaks and canoeing will only ever be allowed within the inner canal system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Geez, even John Hantz had the good sense to get volunteers to plant his trees.
    Like I said John.... you need to ease off on the hyperbole...and also Google is your friend...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ting/19049767/

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I guess you don't realize just how strong the Detroit River current is.... once out in the river current, or downriver of Belle Isle... it would likely not be possible to Kayak back to the island... unless perhaps you have Olympics training in endurance....

All Kayaks and canoeing will only ever be allowed within the inner canal system.
    I do not believe that this can be true. They ran this last summer:

http://greenveiloutdoor.com/oabi-race/
    Last edited by mwilbert; February-16-15 at 11:10 PM.

It's possible to paddle up stream in the Detroit River, but offering the general public rental kayaks on the river would not be a great idea. Strong winds and current, boat [[and freighter) traffic ,the close proximity of an international border. It would be a recipe for disaster and I can totally understand why they would limit the rentals to the island's interior.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-16-15 at 11:50 PM.

Yes.... the current isn't as bad as I thought... but there are other issues as Johnny5 said... as mentioned here.... [[with Homeland security being near the top of the lists!!)....

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/f...howtopic=61939

Anybody have that great shorpy photo [[I think Ray posted it) of the people enjoying the canals or streams of Belle Isle. Can't seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I agree in principal that I don't care who runs it but last summer state police took it over like it was an occupation situation. It was creepy. The whole atmosphere was hostile.

I don't even take my dogs for walks there now. I have my car pass, don't do drugs, don't blare music, no public intoxication albeit I still smoke but never flip the filters. Just was such a bad vibe.

Hopefully, the tranquility will return along with restored services. The battle zone attitude has got to go.
    It would be nice to be able to secure the island with a couple of boozy caretakers with flashlights. Unfortunately, island goers require a tiny bit of "adult supervision".

Well, I kayaked by the beach last summer and went thru the lagoon of the DYC over to the river and went downstream back to the beach. I'm old and decrepit and loved it! Another couple rented at the same time and the young lady was 8 months pregnant and she kayaked into the river to the bridge and back and also loved it!
    The island could use a bait/fishing license store especially since they are building a weir to open the lake by the lighthouse bridge so there'll be a lot more fish in there. The bait shop on Jefferson/Van Dyke and the one on Jefferson/Iron west of the BI bridge are good but think of the kids who could learn to fish on the island and buy bait right there! Also more licenses could be bought if they sell them on the island.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast