Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default State Senate pushes for plush new offices amidst cash crunch

Why not? Just add the bill to the other taxes the people of Michigan will have to pay.

Will it ever end ?

I have a question.

HOW, HOW, HOW does this state have a budget shortfall?

Leaving politics out and just stating facts.

Certain segments of the population are being taxed that weren't before.

Cuts have been made everywhere.

Revenue sharing for all municipalities are down.

Credits have been reduced or eliminated.

The executive and legislative supermajority were just reelected on how fiscally responsible they are. There's talk of huge rainy day fund.

WTF is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I have a question.

HOW, HOW, HOW does this state have a budget shortfall?

Leaving politics out and just stating facts.

Certain segments of the population are being taxed that weren't before.

Cuts have been made everywhere.

Revenue sharing for all municipalities are down.

Credits have been reduced or eliminated.

The executive and legislative supermajority were just reelected on how fiscally responsible they are. There's talk of huge rainy day fund.

WTF is going on?
    Didn't Snyder cut revenue more than expenses?

While conservative Michigan legislatures were busy putting our tax dollars in their pockets. Governor Snyder, the Nerd is busy paying his medical bills from the blood clot operation by using our tax dollars. That's a why this Great State of 'Mich-ississippi' is broke like Mississippi today!

I really like the comment that the politicians need a office with a view. When I was in school I always tried to get a seat by the window so I could look out and daydream. But I didn't get paid a salary and benefits to do it either.

Update! Total cost with with interest: $134 million

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...te-134-million

Quote Originally Posted by Pazen Hingree View Post

Glad to see my new tax increase going to a worthy cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazen Hingree View Post

You sure make it sound bad with the total cost shouted from the tallest building in Detroit. That $134 million building cost is over 30 years. [[$134 million/30 years) That figures out to be about $4.5 million per year.

I did a search of the cost of resurfacing one mile of a two lane road. The best figure I could find is about a half a million dollars. That means that the new building will cost us taxpayers the resurfacing of about nine miles of roads a year for 30 years.

Michigan has 120,256 miles of paved roads so every year for 30 years, a whole 9 miles of roads do NOT get resurfaced. BTW 9 times 30 is 270 so that is the figure that will not get resurfaced over a 30 year period. 120,000 miles of roads are not effected. Color me unimpressed!

Now, do I think they should buy the new building for their new offices? Not no, but HELL NO! If all Michiganders must tighten their belts, so must the Senate.
    When will they ever learn . When will they ever learn .

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    You sure make it sound bad with the total cost shouted from the tallest building in Detroit. That $134 million building cost is over 30 years. [[$134 million/30 years) That figures out to be about $4.5 million per year.

I did a search of the cost of resurfacing one mile of a two lane road. The best figure I could find is about a half a million dollars. That means that the new building will cost us taxpayers the resurfacing of about nine miles of roads a year for 30 years.

Michigan has 120,256 miles of paved roads so every year for 30 years, a whole 9 miles of roads do NOT get resurfaced. BTW 9 times 30 is 270 so that is the figure that will not get resurfaced over a 30 year period. 120,000 miles of roads are not effected. Color me unimpressed!

Now, do I think they should buy the new building for their new offices? Not no, but HELL NO! If all Michiganders must tighten their belts, so must the Senate.
    When will they ever learn . When will they ever learn .
    As long as Joe Public keeps buying the bullshit, they'll just keep spooning it out.

Those tax and spend Democrats are at it again. Huh? What? The Republicans control all branches of state government now? But, but...