Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cheerleader-in-Chief's State of the City

That was a strong start...made me wonder if previous mayors even knew all the names of council members.

Hopefully the folks who need to hear again about what his administration is doing to help them keep their homes are listening. He spent a good deal of time detailing that program.

Dude knows he's making history.

Love hearing the ambiance of the Redford Theater in WDET's broadcast.

He will win me over when he mentions an urban gardening program. More than merely a breeze-by...ok, twice...the term comes up with regard to land use.

Geez...he's just gaining momentum. This is good.

It'd be curious to compare with previous administrations...he's in a very unique position showing where the jobs are being created, and how trades are apprenticing now to get folks available to fill 'em.

This is one helluva ride. That room must be electric right now.

For a city that needed a Mayor that could swing for the fences while walking through a minefield more than anybody we sure have found one. In politics and marriage, time will tell.

I thought it an excellent speech. Full of positive actions being taken. He is a bridge builder.

Admit though I am a little smug that when we supported him certain neighborhood activists poo poohed his run. They adore him now. It's so fun to be right.

I did enjoy that he mentioned Chrysler School winning a national Chess championship. They didn't have that club when our son attended there. Our son was playing chess when he was three, poker at four. I wouldn't take him on, by the time he was five, at either. I suck at chess. Good at poker but a 5 yr old doesn't drink.

DetroitBoy Guest

Default Mayor Mike Duggan State of the City Address

Just finished watching Mayor Mike's State of the City address. It was a home run!

The confidence in the City of Detroit is coming back and the momentum continues to build. I have never seen a State of the City speech where the Mayor received multiple [[3 or more) standing ovations from the audience. The reaction was very positive as well from the commentators who watched the speech.

There is still a long way to go, but it is clear that we are on the road to once again being one of the great cities in the country!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I thought it an excellent speech. Full of positive actions being taken. He is a bridge builder.

Admit though I am a little smug that when we supported him certain neighborhood activists poo poohed his run. They adore him now. It's so fun to be right.

I did enjoy that he mentioned Chrysler School winning a national Chess championship. They didn't have that club when our son attended there. Our son was playing chess when he was three, poker at four. I wouldn't take him on, by the time he was five, at either. I suck at chess. Good at poker but a 5 yr old doesn't drink.
    Those eight year kids should be throw a parade on woodward on the first Saturday in may. I clapped to my TV they deserve more.

The imported or just stupid news reporters said it was being broadcast from the historic Redford Theater in downtown Detroit???

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Those eight year kids should be throw a parade on woodward on the first Saturday in may. I clapped to my TV they deserve more.
    I hope you are serious, its awesome such young kids won a national championship. I clapped too!

I'm going to leave politics out of this post, and state simply that I have not seen such optimism and positivity about this town since my hair was brown and half way down my back.
    That is a long time.

DetroitBoy Guest

He was wonderful! We are on the road to once again becoming one of the great cities in the country!

The imported or just stupid news reporters said it was being broadcast from the historic Redford Theater in downtown Detroit???
    That is pretty sad...

It just goes to show the very little relevance this city has to most folks [[in the state/region and the entire country)

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That is pretty sad...

It just goes to show the very little relevance this city has to most folks [[in the state/region and the entire country)
    It is sad. Look at national news and Detroit or Michigan rarely get mentioned. So much talent here and we get stuck with reporters that can't pronounce our street names much less identify city quadrants.

DetroitBoy Guest

It is sad. Look at national news and Detroit or Michigan rarely get mentioned. So much talent here and we get stuck with reporters that can't pronounce our street names much less identify city quadrants.
    We just got a week of great press on the Robertson story including him being named ABC network Person of the Week. What more do you want!

I hope you are serious, its awesome such young kids won a national championship. I clapped too!
    100% serious. What a awesome accomplishment for those kids. I am sorry I missed it when it happened last may. I must have been overly preoccupied by the events being hashed out in the federal court house at the time. Was it big news then? It should have been way bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    We just got a week of great press on the Robertson story including him being named ABC network Person of the Week. What more do you want!
    Sorry missed that.

DetroitBoy Guest

Sorry missed that.
    Hi,
    just saw this one. Now even USA Today is running the story! I will check to see if CNN has it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ions/23105197/

A very professional speech by Mayor Duggan. Hopefully the positive momentum will be maintained, and he will be proactive, even in crisis times.

I missed the full context of the interview but WDIV has a brief soundbite of the snarky LBP who apparently was in attendance at the State of the City and made some comment to take a jab at the City.

LBP continues to be a moron and even more out of touch with reality than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    I missed the full context of the interview but WDIV has a brief soundbite of the snarky LBP who apparently was in attendance at the State of the City and made some comment to take a jab at the City.

LBP was there? Perhaps he was drunk and just got lost.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post

I wouldn't call it a "jab".
    "I thought it was a rouser," Patterson said. "He left them screaming on their feet. I'm going home to list my condo in Clarkston; I'm moving back to Rosedale Park."

^^ If it wasn't a "jab" then what was it? We all know he isn't moving to Detroit. LBP always disrespects Detroit. I'll be glad when he decides to retire, he's nothing but negativity personified unless it benefits Oakland County.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ If it wasn't a "jab" then what was it? We all know he isn't moving to Detroit. LBP always disrespects Detroit. I'll be glad when he decides to retire, he's nothing but negativity personified unless it benefits Oakland County.
    Hyperbole describing a great speech. Just like hearing a great advetisement and saying, "makes me want to run down to the store and buy one now". He was giving Duggan a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hyperbole describing a great speech. Just like hearing a great advetisement and saying, "makes me want to run down to the store and buy one now". He was giving Duggan a compliment.
    Yes, probably that. I don't believe LBP Would just show up to throw a wrench in the Motown engine. That would be like an act of war wouldn't it?

Gannon, he did mention lots for sale and/or 3 yr rents for vacant lots. My area still has plenty of density but my block is kindly refered to by LEAP as spacious residential. Our block club desparately wants to buy the many lots that are vacant. Always a glitch here and there. We need one house removed that has been on the demolitian list for years. The adjacent neighbor could buy each lot in turn as adjacent. She wants to put in solar panels to feed the energy needs for our block in part of it. Its do able but need that one house gone.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yes, probably that. I don't believe LBP Would just show up to throw a wrench in the Motown engine. That would be like an act of war wouldn't it?
    LBP declared war on Detroit years ago. Its a different regime now, we expect to see far more cooperation now between the counties. Maybe they can work on uniting bus services now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast