Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Food/Drinks You Love To Smell But Hate To Consume

So I'm over a client's house doing some work and I smell a pot of coffee they were brewing. Mmm mmm, it smelled so delicious. I love the aroma of a freshly brewed pot of coffee. However, I'm not a big coffee drinker. I only drink coffee every once in awhile and I could not tell you the last time I had a sip. It had to be years and years ago.

Popcorn is another food that I love to smell. Yum. I think it's the butter that I love. Again, popcorn is not one of my favorite foods either. I will confess, you're far more likely to catch Mr. Pavement eating popcorn than drinking coffee.

Name some foods you love the smell of, but don't really enjoy consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    So I'm over a client's house doing some work and I smell a pot of coffee they were brewing. Mmm mmm, it smelled so delicious. I love the aroma of a freshly brewed pot of coffee. However, I'm not a big coffee drinker. I only drink coffee every once in awhile and I could not tell you the last time I had a sip. It had to be years and years ago.

Popcorn is another food that I love to smell. Yum. I think it's the butter that I love. Again, popcorn is not one of my favorite foods either. I will confess, you're far more likely to catch Mr. Pavement eating popcorn than drinking coffee.

Name some foods you love the smell of, but don't really enjoy consuming.
    Coffee, definitely. Especially the smell of it brewed in a church basement on a weary cold, Sunday winter morning. Popcorn, yes; however, corn acts like a neuroexcitotoxin on me. Yet, I don't have that problem when I wash it down with straight up squeezed lime juice. Guess, the Mayans had something there. It staved off pellagra and made them less likely to sacrifice folks like the Incas, Aztecs, and Toltec.

I guess I could add lobster and crab, because I'm more of a straight fish-eating pescetarian [[like Ben Stiller, David Duchovny, and Alyssa Milano---awww, but think of the poor cold-blooded fish). Sometimes Bar-B-Que ribs grilling in the summer twilight reminds me of growing up in Detroit. Yeah, those are good. I can't eat sweets anymore, but the smell of a Kit Kat bar just opened out of the wrapper is neat.

I love the smell of tea, but never drink it. Popcorn is one of mine, too, too much trouble to eat, what with sticking in my teeth tenaciously. Licorice, stewed plums, raspberry jam. That's about it.

Bacon. But of course it is high in fat and what not. I really don't want to eat it, but....

Bananas. The texture is just gross
    Pies. I just don't like them except for chocolate pies

It's not a food, but I love the smell of pipe smoke. Tried it once. Definately nothing enjoyable about the taste.

Kopi Luwak Eeuuw!

The opposite might be entertaining too, repulsive things enjoyably consumed, like garlic, haggis or balut.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-10-15 at 11:10 PM.

Garlic...? Oh my, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Kopi Luwak Eeuuw! .
    Civet cat poop coffee. $200/lb or so

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Garlic...? Oh my, love it.
    Got to love pungent roots like garlic, onions, ginger, and [[horse)radish!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Got to love pungent roots like garlic, onions, ginger, and [[horse)radish!
    Speaking of horseradish, I love the smell and even the taste of horseradish sauce. However, man does it burn my sinuses. I avoid horseradish sauce for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Speaking of horseradish, I love the smell and even the taste of horseradish sauce. However, man does it burn my sinuses. I avoid horseradish sauce for that reason.
    Maybe it's my misperception, but I've always taken the burning that certain foods [[Indian cuisine, garlic, horseradish, hot peppers, etc.) cause to be them doing some wonders for the sinuses. Could just be me.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Maybe it's my misperception, but I've always taken the burning that certain foods [[Indian cuisine, garlic, horseradish, hot peppers, etc.) cause to be them doing some wonders for the sinuses. Could just be me.
    Your body senses them as an irritant, kicks mucous production into high gear and flushes out your sinuses really well.

Cinnebon always smells awesome, but after trying it once I'll never eat another again. Louis CK does a hilarious bit about that...

Like that green paste [[called wasabi) sold with some Sushi!! Forget about it. Horseradish to the tenth degree! Takes the top of my head off -- a common reaction I hear! Some say is just a nuisance that is not even suppose to be used with Sushi:

http://sushiconcierge.tumblr.com/pos...bi-and-its-not

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Your body senses them as an irritant, kicks mucous production into high gear and flushes out your sinuses really well.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-16-15 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Like that green paste [[called wasabi) sold with some Sushi!! Forget about it. Horseradish to the tenth degree! Takes the top of my head off -- a common reaction I hear! Some say is just a nuisance that is not even suppose to be used with Sushi:

http://sushiconcierge.tumblr.com/pos...bi-and-its-not
    For some reason I had the delusion that it acted like some kind of anti-bacterial/anti-septic to run counter to any risk of lingering, harmful bacteria in the sushi-and the thinly-cut slice of pickled sushi was supposed to smooth that out. Horseradish does seem far more natural to consume than wasabi, which seems-I don't know-chemically enhanced to me. I just know you shouldn't eat too much sushi or you will end up like Jeremy Piven. Hope he's doing better.

As a rule I don't eat raw sushi and I understand the green paste is food-color dyed. I think the best, cleanest time for consuming raw fish is behind us/ and the planet now. I don't want any pin worms and other toxins in my system so I try to minimize that by just having the cooked or vegetarian options. Looked up the Piven story. Looks like he had a bad turn ala sushi...

http://www.people.com/people/article...247781,00.html

To me, there are very few food condiments that compare with real wasabi. It's hard to find, but to me it's an addictive source of heat. Chances are, you've never really had real wasabi. But if you do, and love heat, very few things are better. Most wasabi is just horseradish with coloring.

I grow and make my own horseradish. It's hot and to me almost like a wonder drug. But real wasabi, ....... bring it on.

Yeah. I think I've only had fake Wasabi! I'm not very nuanced about Sushi.

Homegrown horseradish? Hmmm...sounds decent. No lie.

I hate pork. I even hate the smell of bacon. Yet, on a certain day-maybe a humid, summer day in Detroit, the smell of Bar-B-Que-even if it is pork ribs-is an awesome smell.

I agree with the Cinnabon issue.

Going along with Bar-B-Que in summer, I never liked most "grape" flavored anything as a kid, but the smell of grape Bazooka bubblegum [[again, most likely on a humid, summer day) smells great, and for some reason, it brings back memories of Detroit.

Lemon balm tea - It smells like lemon but tastes like brewed lawn clippings. It twice got rid of my shingles in 24 hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Civet cat poop coffee. $200/lb or so
    -

I'm so not metrosexual. Just Kroger less than label instant. From Germany.

Cat butt, been there, done that. They hate me.

I recently discovered the garlic double steakburger at Steak 'n Shake. I'd say it was good but the garlic was almost too strong to tolerate for me.

So for those who like garlic, there's your hamburger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast