Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why Should I Vote for Charles Pugh?

Look, I'm not knocking Charles Pugh for wanting to make things better for Detroit. I try to do my part to make Detroit better too, but I don't think I know enough about city government to be a city council member. Therefore, can someone convince me as to what makes Charles Pugh qualified to be a member of a major city's lawmaking body? Also, I want folks to remember that Martha Reaves also wanted to make things better when she ran four years ago. Well, you saw how that turned out. Is Pugh's number one showing based on name recognition? It definitely appears that way to me. What do you think?

2blocksaway Guest

I guess you just have to take a leap of faith.

I think he knows the problems facing the city.

He is employable outside of government so he doesn't need the job. Leading me to believe he is running for office for the right reason.

I think it is huge that he is out of the closet too. How many openly gay politicians are there? He is the ultimate minority in Detroit.

If it doesn't work out you can always not vote for him in 4 years. Right Martha?

MIRepublic Guest

It won't matter if you do. He's getting a seat on the council. This is about the zillionth time you've talked about him. Sorry it didn't work out exactly the way you wanted it to. There are eight other seats to bitch about, if you'd like.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-04-09 at 09:45 PM.

My co-workers used to make me listen to coco, foolish, and mr chase every morning. His job in media has given him lots of time to study, and think about what is going on in detroit politics. Also, he was never afraid to compleetly disagree with the other hosts/listeners on the show. I generally agree with his "perspective" on almost all issues in detroit politics.
    Weither or not he should be approving budgets, I have no idea. But he is smart, cool headed, and has good ideas, which is a start.
    Last edited by detr0itkid; August-04-09 at 09:46 PM. Reason: didn't finish

So, what exactly makes someone "qualified"? Do they have to have spent their entire lives in Detroit's political arena? Do they have to be "insiders" and "movers and shakers"?

Seems to me those are the exact folks we don't want. I welcome people who aren't "qualified" to run Detroit. Maybe they'll screw up and do things differently.

diver1369 Guest

Charles Pugh was one of the Problem Solvers on TV2 News in Detroit. It was in that role that I met him. A gas station in my neighborhood had a display case full of weapons; small axes and machetes, wands, brass knuckles starred knuckles, martial arts stars. I notified TV2 about this and Mr. Pugh came out to get the story. They had a minor buy some of the weaponry, then they showed their video to the DPD gang squad. The DPD gang squad did their own undercover buy and confiscated over 800 weapons from the gas station. I believe by his reporting on the issues that Detroiters bring to the station, Mr. Pugh has a unique insight into the challenges facing those in the neighborhood and the everyday problems they face. He seems to me to be an intelligent and sincere person who isn't in it for self-aggrandizement. If I lived in Detroit, I wouldn't hesitate casting a vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    ...I believe by his reporting on the issues that Detroiters bring to the station, Mr. Pugh has a unique insight into the challenges facing those in the neighborhood and the everyday problems they face. He seems to me to be an intelligent and sincere person who isn't in it for self-aggrandizement. If I lived in Detroit, I wouldn't hesitate casting a vote for him.

What and those of us who have lived in Detroit all of our lives, like myself, don't have a unique insight into the challenges facing those in the neighborhood and the everyday problems we face? I'm not questioning why you would vote for him, I'm just questioning if Pugh's unique insight makes him more qualified to sit on the council than other life long Detroiters. BTW, MIrepublic, I only recall one other post where I questioned Charles Pugh's qualifications [[and I brought up Andre Spivey's as well). Now that he has received the most votes for a city council candidate, I want to know why others would vote for him. Call it curiosity. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to vote for him. However, I see that you didn't bother to give me an answer to the question I have posed in this thread. Who appears to be trolling now?

MIRepublic Guest

You're a hater. It's really too bad for you that he's probably going to be the next council president, huh? And, as to "one other post" that's absolutely ridiculous. Everytime Pugh's name has been brought up you've never missed a beat in "concern trolling" him. You picked the wrong battle, and you continue to lose it. Face up to that fact and move on.

You're sitting here bitching about Pugh, while Kenyatta, Watson, and Tinsley-Talabi may very well get their seats back, and Brenda Jones who may as well be wallpaper? Really? What makes Pugh so much worse than any of these others incumbents? You're bitching about Pugh and you've got a black nationalist mortgage-walker, a tax cheat, a visionless church lady and wallpaper looking for sure to retain their seat. You better be asking yourself what your real problem with Pugh is that you see him as less deserving of a place on council than not just one of the other four I mentioned, but all of them.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-05-09 at 01:38 AM.

I didn't vote for Pugh because I hate voting for a famous name. We had enough with Reeves and Conyers. What concerns me is that Pugh was the top vote-getter and if it happens in November, he will become the City Council President and that is why the charter commission must make changes in how the council is elected and how the president is picked. I would prefer a setup in which 7 members of the new council vote either one of the two senior members of the council to become president and the other becomes the president pro tem. To have a flimsy setup in which the total number of votes would get you either the 1 or 2 spot is the reason why Detroit had to experience the Monica Conyers disaster for 4yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    A gas station in my neighborhood had a display case full of weapons; small axes and machetes, wands, brass knuckles starred knuckles, martial arts stars. I notified TV2 about this and Mr. Pugh came out to get the story. They had a minor buy some of the weaponry, then they showed their video to the DPD gang squad.

That's unethical as hell, getting a minor to break the law in order to get a story.

If the Fox 2 folks had information that this gas station was selling weapons to minors, then it behooved them to notify police.

Charles Pugh attended the DYES Picnic this summer, and I found him sincere and informed [[I never watched him on TV).

MIRepublic... although I know little about Brenda Jones, I find your labeling her "wallpaper" does her a great injustice... just because she's not a grandstanding media whore like some of her cohorts doesn't mean that she's not right on the issues that are important to Detroit.

I find that her refusal to sit among the others on stage at Kwame's last State of the City address at Orchestra Hall [[and her early call for his removal), her support of the inital Cobo deal and other important votes where she didn't side with the "wit" sisters [[half, nit, and dim... Reeves, Conyers and Collins).. give her an air of respectability, which is likely why she ended up near the top in the 18 top finishers.

Just because she's stayed under the media radar, doesn't mean that she's not good for Detroit...
    Last edited by Gistok; August-05-09 at 03:15 AM.

MIRepublic Guest

I'd like to make clear that I don't think she's bad for Detroit, rather I was trying to make the point that Pugh is certainly not any less deserving of spot than the four I mentioned, and most certainly more deserving than some of those I listed. Too me, Jones doesn't take anything away from the city, but I also find it hard to say that she's among the best Detroit has to offer. In other words, of all of the stuff Royce could be complaining about [[and, that's all he ever really does, anyway: complain) Pugh should not be one of them. He's not a problem, and this is not coming from someone who'd have chosen Pugh as my top pick. I'm not some fanboy, I just think this petty focus on Pugh says a lot more about Royce than it does Pugh.

You should not.
    I voted for him in the primarys, I really want him to be on city council, but he should not be the CC president. He will obviously get on council, so please don't vote for him so he does not become pres.

He is employable outside of government so he doesn't need the job. Leading me to believe he is running for office for the right reason.

Or, like many television personalities and local celebrities, he wants continued/more attention and limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdWoman View Post

Or, like many television personalities and local celebrities, he wants continued/more attention and limelight.
    Which is why the process for CC president should be seriously changed. As a "face" he would get the most votes because of his celebrity.

Does Charles still consult with Christine Beatty on his campaign? He was using her.

My wife reminded me that Charles Pugh was a huge Kwame Kilpatrick supporter. Does anyone else recall this?

gravitymachine Guest

pugh was an ardent kwame apologist during the scandal. no vote from me

I think City Counsel candidates should be required to post their resumes on the internet, then people would have something to review, rather than listening to their campaign hoopla. If I lived in Detroit, I would have wanted to vote for Pugh because I know his name and true he did a good job on the radio as well as on the news, but I would not have voted for him unless his creditials warranted my vote. He is buddies with Christine, he did support Kwame in the time of scandal and he is Moncon's cousin, so that in itself would require more proof that he is qualified via work experience and formal training [[i.e. college degree).

Does anyone else find it admirable that our city's top vote getter in the city council primaries is an openly gay man? First of all, there are very few openly gay politicians, and probably for good reason given our societal stance on the issue. Second of all, the black community [[streotypically) is not very tolerant of gay black men and in a city with a african american popluation of well over 80% the city council could possibly have an openly gay black man as president? Has anyone made an issue about this in the media? Personally, I think its an extremely progressive stance taken by Detroiters. For a state and city that has been deemed by the media as racist, stupid, and for lack of a better word antiquated, in my opinion, this is a very impressive and forward thinking outcome.

It could also just be that name recognition pushed him over the top and voters didn't even think about the fact that he is gay [[which might actually be even more impressive at some level), but thats a different discussion for a different day.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArmy View Post
    Does anyone else find it admirable that our city's top vote getter in the city council primaries is an openly gay man? First of all, there are very few openly gay politicians, and probably for good reason given our societal stance on the issue. Second of all, the black community [[streotypically) is not very tolerant of gay black men and in a city with a african american popluation of well over 80% the city council could possibly have an openly gay black man as president? Has anyone made an issue about this in the media? Personally, I think its an extremely progressive stance taken by Detroiters. For a state and city that has been deemed by the media as racist, stupid, and for lack of a better word antiquated, in my opinion, this is a very impressive and forward thinking outcome.

It could also just be that name recognition pushed him over the top and voters didn't even think about the fact that he is gay [[which might actually be even more impressive at some level), but thats a different discussion for a different day.
    As I posted previously, I have no problem with Pugh being gay and on the council. I would have a major problem if he becomes president. As Monica Conyers showed metro Detroit, experience matters. She was a novice and the residents rewarded her with the second spot. God knows what would have happen if she was the president at the time of Kilpatrick's removal.

I'm not saying Pugh would become Conyers pt. 2 but he would be also a novice who would be become president of a council that may have up to five new members including himself. You would need an experience council member to steer the ship, not a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    As I posted previously, I have no problem with Pugh being gay and on the council. I would have a major problem if he becomes president. As Monica Conyers showed metro Detroit, experience matters. She was a novice and the residents rewarded her with the second spot. God knows what would have happen if she was the president at the time of Kilpatrick's removal.

I'm not saying Pugh would become Conyers pt. 2 but he would be also a novice who would be become president of a council that may have up to five new members including himself. You would need an experience council member to steer the ship, not a novice.
    Greetings.

Let's get one thing straight. Pugh will not be elected Council President. He might make Pro Tem, he definitely will win a seat but he will not be the top vote getter.

Why you ask?

To paraphrase Smoky in the movie "Friday"-The Black Clergy will never, ever, ever, ever, ever suppport an openly gay man.

Is it right? No. While its not my thing what happens between two consenting adults is not my business.

But it will happen. Not overtly, but the closer you get to the general election the preachers will start using their "code words" and their flock will do as they are told.

Not exactly uplifting or correct but it is what it is.

I have more of a problem of a newcomer becoming President with no experience than anything to do with his sexual orientation.

Just my two cents.

we'll see what happens.. my hope is that he'll continue to work on getting community feedback on issues.. and continue to deemphasize his sexuality.. the most prominent local black clergy, including marvin Winans, glen Plummer, andrew merritt, wayne jackson, were ardent supporters of G.W. Bush during his tenure, especially within the context of the 'family-values' messages/policies.. I remember during K. Kilpatrick's first run for office, he did a TV 'interview' with several of those ministers [[TV-26? 38? 33?) and there were a couple of question for his take on the "h*m*sexual lifestyle" and protecting his sons from said influence...

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EDBL View Post
    Greetings.

Let's get one thing straight. Pugh will not be elected Council President. He might make Pro Tem, he definitely will win a seat but he will not be the top vote getter.

Why you ask?

To paraphrase Smoky in the movie "Friday"-The Black Clergy will never, ever, ever, ever, ever suppport an openly gay man.
    Really? Did you miss The News, today? If they were going to stop him, they'd have prevented him from catching fire and placing a commanding first place finish in the primaries. You don't try and derail a train after its long sense left the station. Seems to me that if there was any campaign against him because of his orientation, it'd have already happened. It's over; things have changed. The city's been brought so low people simply don't give a damn about this, anymore, obviously. You package this with a growing anti-incumbent electorate, and you may not even see folks like Tinsley-Talabi and JoAnn Watson make it all the way. To think that anti-change and pro-incumbent are going to grow from here on out is silly. Hell, I'll predict that Pugh will probably finish with an even greater percentage lead than he did in the primaries because of all of this.

Some Detroit churches have historically sermonized that homosexuality was a sin, but Pugh got the backing of both the AME Ministerial Alliance and the Council of Baptist Pastors.

Backing Pugh was a simple choice for the Council of Baptist Ministers, said the Rev. Lonnie Peek, a spokesman. "He was young and energetic, and he had good ideas," said Peek, adding that sexual orientation "never came up." "He's just the right person to bring about change. He did great."
    Detroit is changing on a lot of fronts mostly due to it being forced to change for simply survival. There is little that I've seen since the fall of Kilpatrick that has made me more cynical about the political and social situation of Detroit. As far as the political and social situation, the city long since hit rock bottom. Detroit needs to be given its due credit for 2009 in these arena.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-06-09 at 10:00 PM.

Why should you vote for him?

Because any one who made it through elementary and middle school with a last name like that has got to be one tough dude. I mean can you imagine any time someone let one fly? The kids must have said "Who Charlesed!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast