Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Downtown diva Guest

Default A New Day has Dawned

I havent seen this thread yet, but my guess is that at 10:30 we will start to see some results from the election.

I really hope that MonCon doesn't get alot of votes...while I know that some of you will scream "RACIST!!!" i really think that by encouraging her, and the Call Em Out People, you are just inviting the same old Detroit stereotypes.

I think Mitch Albom said it best when he said that Detroiters need to stand up and elect accountable people who will be responsible and make good decisions...well we all know about Mitch, don't we.

I guess I hope that Matthew Naimi wins. He seems like a good man....a stand up type of guy.

While he has had tax problems, he seems to be intent on working them out.

Unlike some of the people on this board [[who will go nameless), he is a guy who not only moved here becasue he wanted to make a difference, but he also is doing things to make a difference...just moving here or buying rental houses doesnt cut it. This guy is really trying to make a difference.

He isnt handsome, and he definitely isnt my type...i definitely wouldn't do him.

But I do hope that Detroiters gave him a chance.

Thoughts?

You can check results as they come in on http://www.vote4detroit.com
    Already seeing first batch of results coming in.

You wouldn't do him? When did you ever turn down a quick $15?

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    You wouldn't do him? When did you ever turn down a quick $15?
    hey,

would you even say that if you knew me?

You don't know me.

My price is much more than 15 bucks anyways.

And on a seperate note, did any of yo look at the number of white people who ran for city council? I find it striking that only Matthew, Austin and the guy with no vowels in his name are the only white people who ran.

Not that I look at those things, but a friend of mine just spoke with me about it at Mortons.
    Last edited by Downtown diva; August-04-09 at 08:53 PM.

MIRepublic Guest

Pugh is out to an early and commanding first-place lead last I checked the numbers with Cockrel coming in second. Yes, a new day has dawned.

But, downtown diva, was this really necessary:

He isnt handsome, and he definitely isnt my type...i definitely wouldn't do him.
    Your posts always seem so random as if you don't have any kind of filter, and a lot of it is TMI.

Downtown diva Guest

sorry about not having a filter....wanted to lighten it up.

will stay on point in the future

MIRepublic Guest

Oh buddy! As of 9:46 Alberta Tinsley-Talabi is number 10. She's going to have a hard time holding her council seat come November unless she gets back up into the top 9. Pugh continues to lead Cockrel, and Gary Brown and Saunteel Jenkins are making impressive showings amongst the incumbents

Martha Rose Reeves ain't anywhere to be seen [[in the 20's). Somehow, some idiots have given Monica 1,569 votes [[0.3%) as of 10:04. lol Something else of note, it looks like if things continue like they are until November, the council will only have three women which would be something that hasn't happened in many years.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-04-09 at 09:20 PM.

Out of the 165, are there any you WOULD do, Diva?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Out of the 165, are there any you WOULD do, Diva?
    WWDDD? Question for the ages. Just a little bit TMI. But accurate.

Since the Vote4Detroit website is overloaded, I thought I'd post some preliminary contents I was able to pull from it as of a few minutes ago:

City Council
    1. Charles Pugh 43,937 8.78%
    2. Ken Cockrel Jr. 35,875 7.17%
    3. Gary Brown 29,998 5.99%
    4. Brenda Jones 21,863 4.37%
    5. Saunteel Jenkins 21,383 4.27%
    6. Kwame Kenyatta 20,783 4.15%
    7. Jo Ann Watson 18,416 3.68%
    8. Jai-Lee Dearing 16,643 3.33%
    9. Andre L. Spivey 14,831 2.96%
    10. Alberta Tinsley-Talabi 14,781 2.95%
    11. James Tate 14,275 2.85%
    12. Lisa Howze 8,990 1.80%
    13. Shelley I. Foy 8,470 1.69%
    14. Raphael B. Johnson 7,982 1.59%
    15. Fred Elliott Hall 7,745 1.55%
    16. Mohamed Okdie 6,672 1.33%
    17. David J. Cross 6,590 1.32%
    18. John K. Bennett 5,832 1.17%

Charter Commission
    1. Freman Hendrix 33,633 10.47%
    2. Rose Mary C. Robinson 20,595 6.41%
    3. Teola P. Hunter 20,230 6.30%
    4. Ken Coleman 16,157 5.03%
    5. Jenice Mitchell Ford 15,403 4.79%
    6. John Johnson 11,642 3.62%
    7. Jeffery D. Robinson 10,643 3.31%
    8. Reggie Reg Davis 10,200 3.17%
    9. Jonathan C. Kinloch 9,303 2.90%
    10. Cara J. Blount 9,244 2.88%
    11. Ken Harris 9,154 2.85%
    12. John R. Eddings 8,391 2.61%
    13. Tonya Myers-Phillips 7,990 2.49%
    14. Patty Fedewa 7,652 2.38%
    15. Sarah D. Lile 7,169 2.23%
    16. Olumba-John Olumba 6,982 2.17%
    17. Warren A. Crockett 6,904 2.15%
    18. Elena M. Herrada 6,689 2.08%

Go Patty!

Nah, it's the same old day. With two lame ducks, one jailbird and one hummingbird, changes with Council were to be expected. There were no incumbent Charter Commissioners. It looks like the public pretty much went with the Free Press picks. Nothing new there. But the real telling sign that things haven't changed is when you look at the School Board. The top three vote getters at this time are all incumbents. We even put that drooling idiot, Reverend David Murray back in for the moment. If we aren't willing to get rid of the school board members that have been screwing over our kids, nothing has changed.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown diva View Post
    hey,

would you even say that if you knew me?

You don't know me.

My price is much more than 15 bucks anyways.

And on a seperate note, did any of yo look at the number of white people who ran for city council? I find it striking that only Matthew, Austin and the guy with no vowels in his name are the only white people who ran.

Not that I look at those things, but a friend of mine just spoke with me about it at Mortons.
    i think it is a little odd than no white people are even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown diva View Post
    i think it is a little odd than no white people are even close.
    This probably will be the first time in Detroit's history that none of the members of city council will be white. Don't be surprised if someone like Joann Watson brings up that fact in an attempt to block council by districts.

But remember one thing. Mel Ravitz, Jack Kelley, Maryann Mahaffey and Sheila Cockrel all decided not to run. They were never voted off. So it's not an unwillingness of Detroiters to not vote for someone white. There just wasn't a white candidate with enough name recognition. Oddly enough, a lot of people thought that Steve Tobocman would be a shoo-in for Council. But he didn't run.

Worked my ass off. Started a city service that was needed, necessary and now utilized by 1000 households a week. Got drilled by an 18 year old, the polish guy who got rolled by his mail order bride, and martha reeves....

What really blows?

Downtown Diva thinks I am unattractive and undoable.

I need another round.

the recycling guy

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Nah, it's the same old day. With two lame ducks, one jailbird and one hummingbird, changes with Council were to be expected. There were no incumbent Charter Commissioners. It looks like the public pretty much went with the Free Press picks. Nothing new there. But the real telling sign that things haven't changed is when you look at the School Board. The top three vote getters at this time are all incumbents. We even put that drooling idiot, Reverend David Murray back in for the moment. If we aren't willing to get rid of the school board members that have been screwing over our kids, nothing has changed.
    I'm not real worried about the school board. I don't see Granholm giving control back to the school board. She will either extend Bobb's contract or the legislature will have a bill ready to turn it over to the mayor. The board powers if there is one will be weakened like it is now.

I just hope that the charter commission will address the huge number of council candidates in this election. I hope to never see this many people run again. Maybe we can increase the number of signed petitions to reduce the number of candidates running.

Firstandten, the number of candidates running for city council doesn't bother me because it's everybody's right to run for political office if they want to. I took the time to look at the 100 plus video or audio interviews conducted by the candidates. Some candidates made it easy for me to eliminate because they didn't do a video or audio interview. Others were eliminated based on education and experience. The rest were eliminated after listening to them talk for about twenty seconds. It took a little time to go through these interviews but it wasn't impossible. Voting council candidates by districts would definitely eliminate having to review so many people. However, the idea of only being able to vote for the person in your district and two or three at-large candidates is a little unsettling as well. I'm still on the fence regarding council candidates from districts. The thought that I could not not vote for Martha Reaves and she got back in the council because the people in her district voted for her, would give me nightmares.
    Last edited by royce; August-05-09 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by The Recycling Guy View Post
    Worked my ass off. Started a city service that was needed, necessary and now utilized by 1000 households a week. Got drilled by an 18 year old, the polish guy who got rolled by his mail order bride, and martha reeves....

What really blows?

I need another round.

the recycling guy
    Don't get so down. If the Rev. David Murray can get elected to the DPS school board, there's certainly hope for an unappealing tax-cheat with a good back story.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I'm not real worried about the school board. I don't see Granholm giving control back to the school board. She will either extend Bobb's contract or the legislature will have a bill ready to turn it over to the mayor. The board powers if there is one will be weakened like it is now.

I just hope that the charter commission will address the huge number of council candidates in this election. I hope to never see this many people run again. Maybe we can increase the number of signed petitions to reduce the number of candidates running.
    But it's still a sign that, under normal circumstances, we're still going to vote the same way we've been doing it.

So much for a new day. Five of nine incumbents finish in the top nine. Considering three weren't running anymore, this is not the outcome that presents a new day. Well, there's still the November election.

OK, so it may not be a "new day" exactly, but still, a little historical perspective please. 5 incumbents in the top 9 is a historically low number, and an incumbent [[Martha Reeves) being eliminated in the primary is pretty much unheard of. Tinsley-Talabi could certainly still be picked off, since she finished just a very few votes ahead of Rev. Spivey, and it's not wholly impossible that JoAnn Watson could still be beaten as well. That would leave Ken Cockrel, Jones, and Kenyatta from the previous group, all of whom I personally would want back. And if Pugh is indeed the top vote-getter in the general election it will be the first time I can ever remember [[and my memory goes back into the mid-'60s) someone from outside the previous Council winning the presidency.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    OK, so it may not be a "new day" exactly, but still, a little historical perspective please. 5 incumbents in the top 9 is a historically low number, and an incumbent [[Martha Reeves) being eliminated in the primary is pretty much unheard of. Tinsley-Talabi could certainly still be picked off, since she finished just a very few votes ahead of Rev. Spivey, and it's not wholly impossible that JoAnn Watson could still be beaten as well. That would leave Ken Cockrel, Jones, and Kenyatta from the previous group, all of whom I personally would want back. And if Pugh is indeed the top vote-getter in the general election it will be the first time I can ever remember [[and my memory goes back into the mid-'60s) someone from outside the previous Council winning the presidency.
    It's an oportunity for those newcomers at the front of the pack with a realistic chance of winning. Picking off the low hanging fruit of the incumbents should be a shared priority, with targeted mailings and media ads.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    So much for a new day. Five of nine incumbents finish in the top nine. Considering three weren't running anymore, this is not the outcome that presents a new day. Well, there's still the November election.
    Did you really expect nine new members of Council? This city need a council with experience. True a few of the members were airheads but they are going away.

I suspect that Cockrel, Watson, Kenyatta and Jones will get reelected. Tinsley-Talabi is on the bubble. She has been there for a long time but she has been exposed as inept and if I'm one of the 13 possible newcomers, I'm ripping her apart to ensure that I get her seat.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Recycling Guy

What really blows?

I need another round.

the recycling guy

Don't get so down. If the Rev. David Murray can get elected to the DPS school board, there's certainly hope for an unappealing tax-cheat with a good back story.
    The recycle guy must have a good back story if he got drilled by an 18 year-old.

Looks like Martha Reeves is OUT! She won't be dancin' in the streets anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    The recycle guy must have a good back story if he got drilled by an 18 year-old.
    Depends on your definition of 'drilled'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast