Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Indian Village Light the future/Preserve the past campaign

Would highly encourage forumers to consider contributing to this gofundme.com campaign and spread the word!

http://www.gofundme.com/IVStreetLights

Really cool. A similar campaign for similar "shepherd's crook" streetlamps was wildly successful in Brooklyn Heights, NYC, last year. It even involved removing some modern arch lamps and replacing them with shepherd's crooks replicas, which I'd also encourage if applicable for Indian Village.

Couldn't quite hit the $2,500 benefactor level, but I did kick a little in.

Although I have a small beef with those lights still, since I was nearly crowned with one in front of Nichols Elementary School on Burns in a windstorm when I was 11 years old. Missed me by thaaat much...

I would love to see Indian Village return to being a premiere neighborhood with a whole foods like grocery store and
    L

Well it's already great, but I get what you're saying-- a few nice amenities nearby would really make the district phenomenal. Whole Foods is looking for a second Detroit spot, they say. Might I recommend the nice empty swath fronting Jefferson on the Whittier plot?? Not that there's anything wrong with the Indian Village market...

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Well it's already great, but I get what you're saying-- a few nice amenities nearby would really make the district phenomenal. Whole Foods is looking for a second Detroit spot, they say. Might I recommend the nice empty swath fronting Jefferson on the Whittier plot?? Not that there's anything wrong with the Indian Village market...
    Funny that! Indian Village market is my go to store, not generally high end type items but spread my shopping, Harbortown has a little higher end stuff but pricing is nuts. Parkway is feeling its way as a new grocerer our way.

If Indian Village cared more about its sister historic villages [[They don't) I'd be inclined to be more genererous. They have lights we don't. But I am a total sucker for historic preservation, so yeah will send a bit.

Just donated to the campaign. Encourage everyone to also donate, even $10 helps!

Is everyone broke? [[besides EastsideAl) I mean even ten bucks is better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Is everyone broke? [[besides EastsideAl) I mean even ten bucks is better than nothing!
    Hey that's not fair I said I'd donate. I pay all my bills first. Last payment for a bill comes out the 12th. Don't like to do much on Friday the 13th. bad memories, a friend died tragically on a Friday 13th sad memories. I balance then my budget. So Saturday the 14th might work.

Remind me.

Was going to give $25 but snarky comments make me less generous.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Couldn't quite hit the $2,500 benefactor level, but I did kick a little in.

Although I have a small beef with those lights still, since I was nearly crowned with one in front of Nichols Elementary School on Burns in a windstorm when I was 11 years old. Missed me by thaaat much...
    I like the Maxwell Smart quote!

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I like the Maxwell Smart quote!
    Seemed appropriate, since it was roughly contemporaneous with the incident in question.

I hope the lamp portion of these new streetlights are better tethered to the polls than the old ones. I remember when I was a kid that once the wires got a little old and brittle all it took was a hard gust of wind or a decent bump from a car being poorly parked and down came the lamp with a big crash. Of course, many of those streetlights had been there since my grandmother's childhood.

It would be nice if someone could fix up the Village gaslights as well.

If I remember correctly, back in the 70's Indian Village was lighted by decorative gas lamps.