Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Ilitch's Choice: The Eddystone Hotel Lives, Park Avenue Hotel to die

According to the Detroit News the Ilitch organization has announced that as a part of the new hockey arena arrangements the Park Avenue Hotel will be demolished and the Eddystone Hotel converted to a moderate income residence. No mention was made of the fate of the nearby Fort Wayne Hotel recently purchased by Ilitch from Dennis Kefallinos.

Below L-R The Park Avenue, Eddystone and Fort Wayne Hotel ruins in 2003.

Click image for full screen view

In the News article the reason for demolishing the Park is that Ilitch states it violates Homeland Security protocols but in the Freep article Cushingberry states that the Park is too dangerous and too far gone. They should get their stories straight.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    In the News article the reason for demolishing the Park is that Ilitch states it violates Homeland Security protocols but in the Freep article Cushingberry states that the Park is too dangerous and too far gone. They should get their stories straight.
    Both stories are most likely correct.

If in fact the Park is too far gone, I want to see pictures from the inside. If it's worse off than the Book-Cadillac, then maybe they have a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    The idea that it's too far gone is just a lousy excuse. Look at the picture Lowell posted! Park Avenue looks in better condition than Eddystone yet Park Avenue is the one too far gone? Give me a break.

Now sure, it might cross into some homeland security boundary, but there's plenty other NHL stadiums with buildings just as close and seemingly don't violate any rules.

http://goo.gl/maps/j1BFi

It's a load of BS. They said it themselves, Park Avenue doesn't fit with "their vision" for a mid-rise development. That's all their is to it. Whatever else excuse they come up with is just to feed to the city council to get it demolished.

The mention of homeland security is just an excuse. There is no law in place dictating anything about having living quarters next to a stadium. It is just a recommendation by homeland security & Illitch is using it as as the justification to tear the buildings down.

Not to mention, people freeze when they hear the name "homeland security" and just go along with whatever is said.

If this is a REAL ISSUE, tear down all the residential buildings surrounding Wrigley Field in Chicago stat.

Whoops, I forgot terrorists prefer hockey stadiums over baseball stadiums. Sorry, my fault.

That being said, this whole issue is causing issues within the construction of the arena since there are still questions about the scope of construction plans. Construction is not delayed but big money is on the line to get things done on time and big money may override any future for either of these 2 buildings.
    Last edited by rjlj; February-02-15 at 01:47 AM.

I'm surprised to hear of these security protocols. How and why? Hopefully one of the news or info outlets files a FOIA request for all emails and documents related to zoning issues and regulations that may result in the demolition of an historic structure. Just seems outrageous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    The idea that it's too far gone is just a lousy excuse. Look at the picture Lowell posted! Park Avenue looks in better condition than Eddystone yet Park Avenue is the one too far gone? Give me a break.

Now sure, it might cross into some homeland security boundary, but there's plenty other NHL stadiums with buildings just as close and seemingly don't violate any rules.

http://goo.gl/maps/j1BFi

It's a load of BS. They said it themselves, Park Avenue doesn't fit with "their vision" for a mid-rise development. That's all their is to it. Whatever else excuse they come up with is just to feed to the city council to get it demolished.
    DHS in Canada??

Also, Wrigley Field is 100 years old. Was no DHS back then.

Oh yea, sorry, Canadians aren't worried about terrorism.

Anyway, as stated in a previous Freep article, the DHS or even the NHL, don't require this security guideline to be followed. It's completely up to the discretion of those designing the arena.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...oric/19047511/

NHL spokesman John Dellapina could not confirm that the league has adopted the homeland security guidelines and requires its teams to abide by those rules at their facilities.

Grunow, of the arena neighborhood group, said he's researched newer arenas in Pittsburgh [[Consol Energy Center) and Brooklyn, New York [[Barclays Center) and their commitment to the 100-foot security zone appears dubious.

"There are buildings well within 100 feet of an arena built within the last few years," he said. "There's definite precedent for having stuff within or proximate to the 100 foot mark."

Well, I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this.
    Anyone who is interested in playing 'human shield', keep an eye out. As soon as more details are announced, we will begin to mobilize.

Not to mention that isn't the stadium building supposed to have some residences built into it or at least there are new apartments being almost as close.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    That picture is from 2003.

This is what they look like now:

Pretty similar from the outside. The Park Avenue/Harbor Light could be hiding some serious structural issues or something. It's also bigger [[and therefore more expensive to renovate) and on the same side of Sproat as the arena, both of which I'm sure are considerations.

The homeland security bit is such a lame cop-out. First, there is no automatic bar. Second, not sure I get how the entire arena plan is supposed to work, if indeed they need to follow this protocol. They say that the arena is going to be 100% surrounded by full time retail, office, and residential, literally framining the "galleria" structure of the concourses. Won't all of those accessible uses be subject to the same scrutiny? Olympia are talking out of their asses.

How does Ford Field work, moreover? There is office space, home to Lowe Cambell Ewald and Bodman PLC, literally built into the structure.

Also, City Council and residents have a right to know the site plan in intimate detail. What, exactly, will replace the Hotel Park Avenue on that site? Will it be a beneficial use for the community-- i.e. will it look good and be functional, will it be housing and retail or plaza surrounded by same, or will be be a garage/lot or some sort of utilitarian thing that can go elsewhere? The days of demo'ing without a plan to replace are long gone, Olympia.
    Last edited by Mackinaw; February-02-15 at 11:38 AM.

I'd like to see the engineering study that says it's too far gone to save. Then I'd like to have the engineer who wrote it meet the engineer on the Book Cadillac project who renovated that dilapadated pile of shit into what it is today so he can laugh in his face and say "really? You're kidding right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    The homeland security bit is such a lame cop-out. First, there is no automatic bar. Second, not sure I get how the entire arena plan is supposed to work, if indeed they need to follow this protocol. They say that the arena is going to be 100% surrounded by full time retail, office, and residential, literally framining the "galleria" structure of the concourses. Won't all of those accessible uses be subject to the same scrutiny? Olympia are talking out of their asses.

How does Ford Field work, moreover? There is office space, home to Lowe Cambell Ewald and Bodman PLC, literally built into the structure.
    When is Olympia NOT talking out their asses? At least Illitch and Co have a new excuse for never building the "district" part of their "Stadium Districts". I wonder if they'll just blame DHS when none of that adjoining retail office and residential gets built and is instead a moat of parking just like CoPa?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Also, City Council and residents have a right to know the site plan in intimate detail. What, exactly, will replace the Hotel Park Avenue on that site? Will it be a beneficial use for the community-- i.e. will it look good and be functional, will it be housing and retail or plaza surrounded by same, or will be be a garage/lot or some sort of utilitarian thing that can go elsewhere? The days of demo'ing without a plan to replace are long gone, Olympia.
    Based on this, hard to say:

The site plan shows the Harbor Light Building, but just as a grey box. Would that end up being more plaza space? Loading docks? Maybe the parking garage will get bigger?

Kinda weird that they designed the whole thing with that building in place, and then decided to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'd like to see the engineering study that says it's too far gone to save. Then I'd like to have the engineer who wrote it meet the engineer on the Book Cadillac project who renovated that dilapadated pile of shit into what it is today so he can laugh in his face and say "really? You're kidding right?"
    Indeed. At this point it's been proven in this city that just about anything that's not burnt to the ground or completely fallen in on itself can be saved where there's the will. Just a few blocks north of these buildings a pair of 4-8 story apartment buildings that were in comparable shape have been/are being converted into stunningly beautiful affordable housing. The buildings look like they belong in modern day Brooklyn or Manhattan. They will soon be joined by market and affordable housing at the Strathmore, near Willis-Woodward. The City is dotted quite heavily with beautiful old buildings, largely containing market housing, that at one point were empty, blown out, compromised, and water damaged. If I had the time I'd make a list, and its length would be stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Actually, neither story is correct. If they had an engineering study to show they would have shown it and if the Homeland Security issue existed than why the proposed adjacent residential on the south side?

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    If in fact the Park is too far gone, I want to see pictures from the inside. If it's worse off than the Book-Cadillac, then maybe they have a good reason.
    I doubt the Park is too far gone, but I'm willing to hear this out if the Ilitches can provide a report on this.

If this effort is not in good faith or they do not supply a report, they should be willing to allow an independent authority to check out the building and make a determination about if it is feasible to be saved now or in the future.

If Ilitch wants all this public money, he better man up and return both of these buildings back to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    If Ilitch wants all this public money, he better man up and return both of these buildings back to the public.
    Illitch has his public money regardless. The problem is in giving it to him and then expecting he do anything different from what he has done for the last 20 years.

Another point, if leaving the Park Ave. Hotel up violated Homeland Security, then why are apartments/residential a part of the actual building that will house the arena.

Explain that one Ilitch.

Both are silly, made-up excuses. I can't believe Ilitch is at it again!

Although I am usually all for preservation, I think both buildings should be torn down.

There is no historical significance to me with either of these 2 properties.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Although I am usually all for preservation, I think both buildings should be torn down.

There is no historical significance to me with either of these 2 properties.
    Of course not... but "Historic Preservation" isn't about historical significance... it's about ARCHITECTURAL significance.... and these properties are great examples of Louis Kamper work....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast