Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Detroiter walks 21 miles in work commute

Only in Detroit [Metro]. I don't know whether to go 'wow' or cry after reading this amazing Freep story of a Detroiter with a factory job in Rochester and his commute. No matter how much controversy this situation may and should stir, James Robertson is truly admirable.

"His job pays $10.55 an hour, well above Michigan's minimum wage of $8.15 an hour but not enough for him to buy, maintain and insure a car in Detroit."

"I set our attendance standard by this man," says Todd Wilson, plant manager at Schain Mold & Engineering. "I say, if this man can get here, walking all those miles through snow and rain, well I'll tell you, I have people in Pontiac 10 minutes away and they say they can't get here — bull!"

As he speaks of his loyal employee, Wilson leans over his desk for emphasis, in a sparse office with a view of the factory floor. Before starting his shift, Robertson stops by the office every day to talk sports, usually baseball. And during dinnertime each day, Wilson treats him to fine Southern cooking, compliments of the plant manager's wife.

"Oh, yes, she takes care of James. And he's a personal favorite of the owners because of his attendance record. He's never missed. I've seen him come in here wringing wet," says Wilson, 53, of Metamora Township.

Sadly, can't replicate this right now if I worked across the Rouge River-I don't want to walk to the SMART stop at Fort and Eureka, ride the bus up to Outer Drive, then walk further up Fort and be greeted by a closed and raised drawbridge.

It's the life Robertson has led for the last decade, ever since his 1988 Honda Accord quit on him.
    I hope he gets a car out of this somehow. No one should have to go through that.

Damn, that's some hardcore dedication. Is there really no bus running down Woodward south of 8 Mile?

Why would anyone want to live in a place where you have to walk 21 miles for an almost minimum wage job? No wonder Detroit's economy has been in the crapper for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Damn, that's some hardcore dedication. Is there really no bus running down Woodward south of 8 Mile?
    Only SMART buses from 3-6 PM.

Keep in mind though, that's a LONG route from 8 Mile to downtown....

Default He could buy a bike

What's wrong with a bike?

I feel bad for the guy, but my guess is that something else is going on here. A nine hour commute to put in 8 hours is flipping nuts! He'd be better off moving closer to his job, finding a job closer to home [[Even with the lousy job prospects in Detroit with his dedication to work it would have been possible sometime in the last decade), buying a beater of a car, buying a scooter, riding a bike [[It would be way faster), car pooling, etc. Again, I feel really bad for the guy and admire his determination,but this just doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-01-15 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    What's wrong with a bike?
    What's wrong with giving him a raise? Or at least his company could send a car to pick him up at the bus stop.

I salute Mr. Robertson!

This man's work ethic and dedication are to be admired and should serve as a lesson to many folks out there. If this man can do it rain or shine, winter or summer, then folks out there who do have a car but are too lazy to work should be ashamed of themselves.

The world needs more folks with James Robertson's mettle.

Someone made the point that he'd be better off working two minimum wage jobs closer to home. One full-time minimum wage job and another for the amount of time he commutes. Honestly, the guy is just a little crazy to commute like that for $10.55/hour.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Someone made the point that he'd be better off working two minimum wage jobs closer to home. One full-time minimum wage job and another for the amount of time he commutes. Honestly, the guy is just a little crazy to commute like that for $10.55/hour.
    As usual, we don't know the whole story. Perhaps there's something else that might explain it.

Maybe this job has future potential. Maybe he likes the work more than he'd like 2 other min. wage jobs. Maybe he has a girlfriend there he has his eye on. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I admire his mettle, and expect that it will pay off for him in the future.

And what a sad state of affairs that our bus system can't do better for the James Robertsons of our area. You can't ride the same bus on Woodward from Davison to 13 Mile? Can anyone justify this? Both SEMTA, SMART, SEMCOG, DDOT, DSR, Wayne County, Oakland County, and Governor Snyder should be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I salute Mr. Robertson!

This man's work ethic and dedication are to be admired and should serve as a lesson to many folks out there. If this man can do it rain or shine, winter or summer, then folks out there who do have a car but are too lazy to work should be ashamed of themselves.

The world needs more folks with James Robertson's mettle.
    He's working his ass off day after day, depriving himself of sleep and ruining his health, and he's still exactly where he started. Meanwhile the factory owner who only knows him as "that guy with the really good attendance record" is getting richer and richer year after year off James Robertson's work ethic and dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    You can't ride the same bus on Woodward from Davison to 13 Mile? Can anyone justify this? Both SEMTA, SMART, SEMCOG, DDOT, DSR, Wayne County, Oakland County, and Governor Snyder should be embarrassed.
    Nor can any of the bus systems get him closer than 7 miles to his job, apparently.

The 465 Auburn Hills Limited could take him back and forth from work if he worked a different shift.

DDOT Route 53 but apparently not at 2 am.

Quote Originally Posted by wesley mouch
    Maybe this job has future potential. Maybe he likes the work more than he'd like 2 other min. wage jobs. Maybe he has a girlfriend there he has his eye on. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I admire his mettle, and expect that it will pay off for him in the future.
    According to the article, he's been doing this about a decade. His girlfriend lives in Detroit. He's making a little over $2/hr over minimum wage. If he's good at industrial work he should be able to find a wage competitive to that much closer to home [[in Detroit or a border suburb).

OK, fine. If he really likes walking that many hours a day to and from work, than more power to him. But that's just crazy.

This is sad. I admire the guy for sure. but it pisses me off he can't get to work faster.

$29,450 has been raised for him in just 9 hours: http://www.gofundme.com/l7girc

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    $29,450 has been raised for him in just 9 hours: http://www.gofundme.com/l7girc
    Looks like he'll soon be sitting in traffic like the rest of the commuters.

That's a tough situation, glad to see his dedication. I'd hope he'd be able to find a nearby apartment and a bike or something.

I live in Rochester Hills and I would have voted YES on SMART. Hopefully a regional system can fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Looks like he'll soon be sitting in traffic like the rest of the commuters.
    He runs counter commute like I do. He'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    He's working his ass off day after day, depriving himself of sleep and ruining his health, and he's still exactly where he started. Meanwhile the factory owner who only knows him as "that guy with the really good attendance record" is getting richer and richer year after year off James Robertson's work ethic and dedication.
    This is not communist Russia. Mr. Robertson is doing this by choice. If he thought like you did he would not be doing it. And thank God that there are people like him who do have a good work ethic. Spare us the "oppressed workers slaving away for the man" nonsense. This man is a shining example to all. He is emblematic of what makes this country great. He could easily lay around his house saying "woe is me, I have no car, I cannot work". Instead he does what he needs to do to be a productive member of society instead of being a leech.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; February-01-15 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    This is not communist Russia. Mr. Robertson is doing this by choice. If he thought like you did he would not be doing it. And thank God that there are people like him who do have a good work ethic. Spare us the "oppressed workers slaving away for the man" nonsense. This man is a shining example to all. He is emblematic of what makes this country great. He could easily lay around his house saying "woe is me, I have no car, I cannot work". Instead he does what he needs to do to be a productive member of society instead of being a leach.
    The USSR under Stalin venerated "Stakhanovites," whose strong work ethic led them to produce quantities greatly in excess of their production quotas.

Stakhanov and other "model workers" were promoted in the press, literature and film, and other workers were urged to emulate their heroic examples. What is more, the achievements of Stakhanovites served as an argument in favor of increasing work quotas.
    Emphasis mine.

Again, the choice to do what he does lies solely with Mr. Robertson. If he did not want to do what he does he could move closer to his job, find a job closer to his home, or simply not work and be a leech on society.

He is doing a good thing. Quit trying to make this an argument about the evil "man". The evil "capitalist boss". Nobody is forcing Mr. Robertson to do what he does.

Why don't you celebrate the man for having a good work ethic instead of trying to make this into something it is not? The only person whose opinion matters is Mr. Robertson. And he obviously doesn't have a problem doing what he needs to do to be a contributing and productive member of society.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast