Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit RFP Summary + Gilbert Raiding Into Ilitchville? Sets eyes on Brush Park

As the fun names of Gilbertville and Ilitchville have emerged so it seems there has been an informal border between the two empires at Grand Circus Park. To the south Gilbertville, to the north Ilitchville.

Now I read that the restless Dan Gilbert is at it again. In an excellent summary of the status of City of Detroit RFP's by Crain's Kirk Pinho [Link] the lead story is about the Brush Park RFP that Bedrock [Gilbert] seeking the city's approval to redevelop a portion of the 100-acre-plus neighborhood. There are nine bidders. He's proposing to cross Grand Circus Park. Should we expect a clash between the two private security armies? I kid of course.

The status of the other RFP's [each deserving its own thread] are:
    Brewster Wheeler Recreation RFP site - "John Roach, communications director for Mayor Mike Duggan, said the Brewster Wheeler RFP process is complete and the redeveloper selection process is under way."

Brewster-Douglass housing projects RFP - "Roach said there is not a firm timeline, but an RFP issue is planned soon. The Detroit Housing Commission owns the land but cannot sell it without approval from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development because $6.5 million of HUD funding to the commission paid for the demolition..."

Herman Kiefer Health Complex RFP - "Roach said in regard to Herman Kiefer, the RFP process is complete and the selection process is under way. He declined to name the developer the city is in discussions with. The final redeveloper selection of the complex had been expected by June 2. "

Brodhead Naval Armory RFP - "The DEGC won't consider any proposals that require demolition of the existing armory, which would likely end up as a mixed-use development with residential and commercial space."

South District Recreation Department Building RFP - [Piquette Avenue between John R and Brush] - Calls for future "deconstruction hub" where materials from demolished homes are offered for sale or provide value-added services, such as using them to make furniture or other goods"

The 162,000-square-foot former Lighting Department building - [Grinnell Street between Van Dyke and Gratiot ] - "The building, which sits on 11.5 acres, is just south of the municipal airport. Proposals have been received and are being reviewed. "

Where Gilbert actually develops property, Ilitch has yet to demonstrate his grandiose plans involve anything more than drawing a few big circles on a map around his new arena and hoping developers show up to make him look good.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Where Gilbert actually develops property, Ilitch has yet to demonstrate his grandiose plans involve anything more than drawing a few big circles on a map around his new arena and hoping developers show up to make him look good.
    That's pretty much my opinion of Ilitch. He's demonstrated his ability to demolish and create surface parking. He's demonstrated his ability to profit off of tax-payer funded stadiums. But he's done very little development in Detroit.

I hope Ilitch lives up to his recent promises. It would be a good thing for his legacy.

Herman Kiefer being developed would be awesome for the Virginia Park neighborhood. I think it's a long shot, but it would be awesome.

Gilbert jumping from downtown to brush park is a great idea. It will diversify his holdings even more and take his renovations out of downtown and into a neighborhood. Where Gilbert goes others will follow. I hope this keeps going right up into the north end.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-02-15 at 11:13 PM.

I wish that there were a developer for Lafayette Park. It is a historical area but has a couple of slumlords owning prime real estate in the area. On another topic; Gilbert hit the ground running with his development while Illitch sits on his and want taxpayers to flip the bill for him. Had work restarted on the stadium?

Is not Illitch's legacy Comerica Park and the Fox Theatre? It appear to me that the power structure in the city at the time of those development rode Illitch's ass to make sure he didn't lolly gag around.

i have felt that much of the illitch's plans for the cass corridor were a result of what dan gilbert has been doing. gilbert is praised as a billionaire investing and improving the city and the illitch family has looked like chumps by comparison. gilbert going into brush park will continue to push the illitch's to follow through on developing their side of woodward. it will be hard to say there isn't a market or they cant afford it if their billionaire counterpart is busy developing lots in the area.

The Brewster Housing site is going to, I hope, be a signature development for the city. I'm not talking about 5- 80 story towers or anything like that. But considering that that site is one of the first things you encounter when you enter downtown from the north, it should be impressive. I liked Gilbert's vision for Gratiot entering downtown from the east [[obviously still up in the air on that one), but the Brewster site has the potential to begin the creep toward Midtown along with the new Red Wings site. I feel like traversing 75, 94, and the Lodge are a mental barrier to continuing spreading out growth to the neighborhoods surrounding Downtown. It's not just along Michigan Ave and Woodward where stores and apartments are popping up anymore. There's action on sidestreets off the beaten path happening now.

With Brush Park between Downtown and Midtown, and nearly a true blank slate for the area, it may just be one of the defining developments of property that the city will see and may shape the next 25 or 50 years of development moving forward.