ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Winter Storm of Feb 1, 2015

Stay safe everybody.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A
    WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM
    SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST MONDAY.
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/

We are warming up and expect a low of 70 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8peBC9GlDDQ

I look forward to seeing a lot of over-turned Jeeps. They seem to forget that 4x4 only gives you an advantage in accelerating, when it comes to stopping, we're all on even ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I look forward to seeing a lot of over-turned Jeeps. They seem to forget that 4x4 only gives you an advantage in accelerating, when it comes to stopping, we're all on even ground.
    Never had a problem starting or stopping with mine.

YAY La Nina, way to go little girl. Now half the nation will hibernate.

Thank you Jesus for the snow.

...Winter Storm Warning in effect from 1 am Sunday to 7 am EST Monday...
    The National Weather Service in Detroit/Pontiac has issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow which is in effect from 1 am Sunday to 7 am EST Monday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.
    Hazardous weather...
    * moderate to occasionally heavy snow...beginning late Saturday night and persisting through early Monday morning.
    * Accumulation of 6 inches or greater during late Sunday afternoon and evening...and total accumulation of 8 inches or greater mainly south of M-59.
    * Localized blowing and drifting snow Sunday afternoon and Sunday night.
    * Wind chill falling to about 10 below zero...and possibly 20 below zero by sunrise Monday.
    Impacts...
    * snow covered roads and reduced visibility resulting in hazardous conditions for travel and outdoor activity.
    Precautionary/preparedness actions...
    * a Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow is expected or occurring. This will make travel very hazardous.

I'd say we lucked out so far this winter, no snow in December, not much in January. I know it's been cold but I don't think it's been too bad all things considered.

It's January. Bring it on. Snow cleanses the air and covers the grit of the city, and diamonds appear at night.

Some of the latest weather models are indicating that this could be one of Detroit's worst snowstorms on record [[giving 1974 a run for its money).

TWC's is going with 12-18" right now...

Being me, I figured the predicted snow was my fault. With no for knowledge, I stocked up on salt and have numbers for 2 young men down the street. Gave away my snow blower earlier on in the season.

Have not seen any snow yet, but have appointments Tuesday. Maybe it will just arrive later then expected.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Some of the latest weather models are indicating that this could be one of Detroit's worst snowstorms on record [[giving 1974 a run for its money).

TWC's is going with 12-18" right now...
    Now the Weather Channel says 13-21".

I wouldn't doubt it...this storm is huge, and is moving so slowly.

Glad we only had plans to hibernate and party at home. If anything, this is a blessing in disguise...our snow-thrower had issues with its primer button the first time I tried using it and I haven't yet ordered the part, so I'll have to clear it all manually, and the exercise will surely burn off whatever I eat and drink in excess today.

But it is starting, finally...so beautiful, so peaceful.

Stay safe, everyone!

Ahhh...The weather

Everyone talks about it but does nothing about it.

The only weather I need to know is whether she will or she won't. Now that is actionable.

I get a better idea about what a storm's doing from weather radar animations than from what I hear from the media meteorologists. It's useful to bookmark several different radar websites. I suspect they all use the same raw data but I've noticed they map that data to different color bands so that details will show up better on one website than another.

It's starting to look like the slow rotation of this storm is going to position the tail end of the snow such that it will head right over us! No glancing blow this time.

For those of us blessed to be inside and toasty, it is a beautiful site. It is also falling how all big Detroit snowstorms do - fine snow blowing in from the east.

I just plucked a dead bird out of the driveway. From the way the snow was disturbed, it looked like he flapped his wings a few times before keeling over. It's snowing so fast that it must have happened recently to leave any such evidence.

Now what could have killed it? It's not that cold out there.

Not a good omen.

Somebody back me up on this. Doesn't it seem like the great majority of major snow events around here over the past few decades have taken place on Sundays?

I remember the one that started on a Saturday a few years back, maybe '95. It is pretty from this side of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I just plucked a dead bird out of the driveway. From the way the snow was disturbed, it looked like he flapped his wings a few times before keeling over. It's snowing so fast that it must have happened recently to leave any such evidence.

Now what could have killed it? It's not that cold out there.

Not a good omen.
    Maybe a mid air collision due to zero visibility?

We're getting snowed-in in Rochester Hills. Our city leaders are reporting that side-streets will not be touched until sometime Monday. Our schools are closed, my wife's school closed, and I probably will have to work from my house tomorrow via VPN.

It will be interesting to see how Detroit performs. Does anyone know if they're still using private contractors to do side-streets? Or is the city in-housing it now?

Stupid jet stream had to decide to dip south in the Dakotas

We're getting snowed-in in Rochester Hills. Our city leaders are reporting that side-streets will not be touched until sometime Monday. Our schools are closed, my wife's school closed, and I probably will have to work from my house tomorrow via VPN.

It will be interesting to see how Detroit performs. Does anyone know if they're still using private contractors to do side-streets? Or is the city in-housing it now?
    Not sure how you plow streets that are full of parked cars.

So which is the best strategy? Fire up the snowblower tonight and clear it again tomorrow or just wait until it's finished tomorrow and clear it all at once? Last I heard they're predicting a total of 12 inches around Detroit by the time it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Not sure how you plow streets that are full of parked cars.
    You don't.

But saying that doesn't make for good PR...

And it would be impossible for the city to enforce a snow emergency...

During a snowfall we had a week or two ago, a city-owned salt truck came down my block twice...

That said, I do know for certain it's contractors that are doing the plowing while MDOT is handling the state highways in the city...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast