Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Public School's $33 million TV studios UNUSED after a decade

This is just inexcusable. Detroit could have been cranking out the next generation of folks running our TV stations.

There should have been an active vocational program training DPS youth in various broadcast production skills. There could also have been employment for local people trained in these various broadcast news and editing related functions. Specs Howard could be brought in as a co-partner. If I had known about this I'd have tried to make a pitch myself. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; January-30-15 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    There should have been an active vocational program training DPS youth in various broadcast production skills. There could also have been employment for local people trained in these various broadcast news and editing related functions. Specs Howard could be brought in as a co-partner.
    Your plan makes too much sense. Instead, Detroit now has outdated, yet unused equipment.

Scrappers will get it.

This is a really awful waste of money. Almost as bad is it sounds like some idiot heard one of those radio campaigns that Specs Howard used to buy when they would blow up the airwaves with hundreds of commercials a week and thought "we should teach that in DPS!" Good educations don't need to have the crap advertised out of them and you would think a educator would know that.

I'd bet that DPS is the last-remaining large-city school district in the country that still has analog-only TV facilities if the studios ever reopen.

That's a wrap for Detroit Public Schools. Snyder, the nerd will come in the dissolve the school district.

DSA lost much of their enrollment in part when CCS [[College for Creatives Studies) opened its own charter High School a few years back, nearby. Technology cannot be 'moth-balled' -- it is changing too fast. I think it may be too late to use the DSA studio equipment.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-30-15 at 10:35 PM.

Uh yeah. The dissolution [[and dissolving) in part started under governor Granholm. Or if you really want to go back, Engler. But Granholm is a more recent memory, pre Snyder. Let the games 'continue'....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That's a wrap for Detroit Public Schools. Snyder, the nerd will come in the dissolve the school district.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-15 at 07:00 AM.

This is why we need to raise our taxes, because our children deserve to get a great education. Ok, I'm done.

^^^ Hah! Our taxes are going up anyway 'because' the government continues to expand, promising ever more, and the ruling oligarchy members 'deserve' greater access of more money off the top!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-15 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That would be an interesting scenario. When the state dissolves districts, it annexes the territory to neighboring districts.

DPS is simply too big to dissolve.

33 Million? I hope they researched that before promoting that kind of figure. If 33 Million was spent, then Kwame and his crew raked 30 off the top..

Wasn't 2009 the same year they abandoned 50 buildings and left them open to scrappers? Who manages DPS anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Wasn't 2009 the same year they abandoned 50 buildings and left them open to scrappers? Who manages DPS anyway?
    Charters siphoned away the money for the implementation. This was a great plan, nearly ready to launch, but it was thwarted by lack of funds.

P.S. Bobby Ferguson says 'thank you' for the fully-funded retirement plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Hah! Our taxes are going up anyway 'because' the government continues to expand, promising ever more, and the ruling oligarchy members 'deserve' greater access of more money off the top!
    Hah! Our taxes are going up anyway 'because' our geographical footprint continues to expand, and the ruling oligarchy members 'deserve' greater access of more money off the top!

There. I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Charters siphoned away the money for the implementation. This was a great plan, nearly ready to launch, but it was thwarted by lack of funds.
    Are you refering to the "implementation" of the TV Studio? They already spent an exorbitant amount of money on the studio itself, it's ready to go. What was left, a gala Hollywood grand opening? Those evil charters.

Well I thank you for that addendum......

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Hah! Our taxes are going up anyway 'because' our geographical footprint continues to expand, and the ruling oligarchy members 'deserve' greater access of more money off the top!

There. I fixed it for you.

A friends daughter exhibiting strong art talent was all set to attend DSA [[2012). But the school was sorta in a flux ala DPS. Their funding was cut, and they'd just lost their long time principal who retired after having held things together for many years.

Recall the parental protests re. cuts to DSA funding etc., it was unclear what their class offerings were going to be, etc. http://www.myfoxla.com/story/2328352...f-and-programs

She just said to heck with it and started her daughter at CCS's Henry Ford Academy: School for Creative Studies High School down the street.

Charters vary in re. to quality and ethicacy, got that. But in this case with so many charters surrounding DSA [[There's another charter two blocks north attached the now name Michigan Science Center) some parents just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are you refering to the "implementation" of the TV Studio? They already spent an exorbitant amount of money on the studio itself, it's ready to go. What was left, a gala Hollywood grand opening? Those evil charters.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-15 at 09:10 AM.