Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Planned I-75 Downriver Routings

During the 1950's, the Michigan State Highway Department was considering finding one of three routes to place I-75 on through Downriver.

What interests me is that one of those routes would've taken it through Electric Street-this alignment would've possibly destroyed many Wyandotte neighborhoods. This alignment was an interesting topic of debate:
    http://www.downriverthings.com/old-quotes.html

I would like to know if maps exist of these original proposed alignments.

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing mtburb!

Earlier, I found a book about I-696 with maps, but I'm unable to find similar information about I-75. I'll keep searching

For those of you wanting similar information about I-696, there's a topic here: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ould-Have-Been
    Last edited by Scottathew; January-29-15 at 09:42 AM.

I haven't seen the maps, but I believe the Electric Ave. alignment was the originally favored one. In large measure because the median was already publicly owned land, due to its original construction as an interurban right-of-way, and public acquisition of land after the systems bankruptcy. I know friends of ours in Ecorse were afraid that they were going to be in the path of the highway's construction.

Eventually, of course, the I-75 alignment ran along a railroad right-of-way, mostly to the west of the population centers that then existed.

I have no idea what the third proposed alignment would have been. Perhaps along the other rail ROW closer to the river, or along Dix, since that was the former main highway between Detroit & Toledo.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I haven't seen the maps, but I believe the Electric Ave. alignment was the originally favored one. In large measure because the median was already publicly owned land, due to its original construction as an interurban right-of-way, and public acquisition of land after the systems bankruptcy. I know friends of ours in Ecorse were afraid that they were going to be in the path of the highway's construction.
    The article linked does mention something about similar concerns by residents on Emmons Boulevard, so there may be some sort of connection.

The potential construction at Fort St & Southfield [[LP), where Electric is just over a block from the intersection would have been a nightmare. The traffic congestion afterwards a nightmare. About three years ago I while doing some other research related to I-75 in Lincoln Park, I gathered some links and maps related to the construction and opening of I-75 through LP. Unfortunately, unable to locate them on this computer. Did find this yesterday, which includes two late-1940s early-50s books, which may provide some insight: Act 51 of 1951 http://www.michiganhighways.org/history5.html

I'm going to request the below book, I'm hoping it may shine some light on it, but I don't think it will cover downriver.

"Fisher Freeway route location study, Interstate Route 75in the city of Detroit from southwest city limits to Gratiot Avenue [[US 25) [Engineering and planning report to]Michigan State Highway Department"

http://search.mel.org/iii/encore/rec...eng&suite=gold

While doing the same research, I attempted to locate any information on what properties were acquired prior to the construction of the freeway in LP and was unable to locate any. Not even at LP City Hall and the Bldg. Dept.. As a youngster I recall seeing the homes boarded up and a lengthy newspaper article in the Mellus [[i. e., News Herald) of how sellers were given the option of moving their home or demolition. I also recall some of the homes being moved by truck through the city and relocated to other properties.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    The article linked does mention something about similar concerns by residents on Emmons Boulevard, so there may be some sort of connection.
    that section of Emmons near Electric [[in fact a few streets both North and South in both directions) remains today one of the nicer areas for homes in LP.

48307, The LP Historical Society has a full press run of the Lincoln Parker [[Mellus) newspaper [[basement; the papers are fragile). None are digitized and you would have to go through the papers manually. They are most cooperative at the Society, however their hours are minimal. http://www.lphistorical.org/

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    48307, The LP Historical Society has a full press run of the Lincoln Parker [[Mellus) newspaper [[basement; the papers are fragile). None are digitized and you would have to go through the papers manually. They are most cooperative at the Society, however their hours are minimal. http://www.lphistorical.org/
    You know, the Downriver Genealogical Society is currently in the process of digitizing every edition of the News-Herald from 1945 to 2004, so we should find out new information about the routings when that's done.

mtburb, I've not had any recent insight into their progress. I did have some communication with them as the process was about to begin and there were some financial and technical obstacles that were unnecessarily imposed due to their lack of awareness [[technical) and compliance [[beyond their actual requirements).