Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PLA tells us we have street light again

PLA, public light authority sent out a self congradulatory circular saying they have installed and/or replaced lighting.

So not!

Lights out still on our major streets. Certainly not on, in residentials. Have dealt with issues but to get an expensive notice saying all is cool really sucks.

Have you contacted the PLA?

Looks like sunlight on my block.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Have you contacted the PLA?
    Yes I sent an email. Will call the mayors office and numerous agencies, and other depts.

Regardless of what people think of Detroit, we have good connections to neighboring communities. Neighborhoods have lived on nada for years. We exist because we self police.

They got the same notice and are pissed too.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Yes I sent an email. Will call the mayors office and numerous agencies, and other depts.

Regardless of what people think of Detroit, we have good connections to neighboring communities. Neighborhoods have lived on nada for years. We exist because we self police.

They got the same notice and are pissed too.
    Interesting enough, someone I know who lives on a block in Islandview Village has 3 new mid-block lights on their residential street, and it is bright as the sun like the other poster stated. The hilarious part is majority of the homes on this street are vacant.

Meanwhile, we have only one measely mid-block light on our street [[there were 3 before, and the other 2 were taken down) and our working alley light was removed, so it's much darker here in the wake of the lighting "improvement."

[[Yep, brightening a mostly vacant street like a Christmas tree while leaving a densely populated street with much less light makes perfect sense to me!!!)

Understandably though, the PLA doesn't plan to be finished with the entire city until 2016, and the main/secondary streets will be the last ones to be re-lit.

That said, if enough people complain to them often, maybe they will then try to expedite the process to complete the re-lighting and even add more lights to the areas left too dark...
    Last edited by 313WX; January-28-15 at 09:42 PM.

I could not agree with sumas more. I could not read my flyer at night on the front porch.

She will have the phone lines burning tomorrow. We called several neighbors in area block clubs and they are as irritated as we are.

DTE and PLA can spend an extreme amount of money on a multi-colored glossy public service announcement saying the street lights are on and I am wary of driving Kercheval and Vernor at night because I cannot see where I am going. I would be safer on a country road with my lights off.

DTE can afford to buy naming rights and sponsorships to every venue they prefer in the metro area. Zacha 341 is right. Watch your energy recovery bill closely. We have allowed the legislature to railroad us into a monopoly situation for too many years.

I am blind and still cannot see.

PLA, public light authority sent out a self congradulatory circular saying they have installed and/or replaced lighting.

So not!

Lights out still on our major streets. Certainly not on, in residentials. Have dealt with issues but to get an expensive notice saying all is cool really sucks.
    Give them hell, sumas, and I mean it. Their crap is getting older than dirt. You don't have lights, IV has a light show going on, one night they're on, two nights they're off. I can't remember the last time we had lights. This area is too populated and we pay too many tax dollars to be putting up with this kind of poor service.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Give them hell, sumas, and I mean it. Their crap is getting older than dirt. You don't have lights, IV has a light show going on, one night they're on, two nights they're off. I can't remember the last time we had lights. This area is too populated and we pay too many tax dollars to be putting up with this kind of poor service.
    The circular just irked me. We had street lights that worked and after removal, just one. Actually I should be the last to bitch since the one is in front of my house in the middle of the block. It is a quality of life issue however. Crime exists under cover of darkness. The only redeeming situation is that a church on the corner had a break in and now leave many exterior lights on all night, which helps at that end a bit. I've made many phone call and emails this AM. I don't care to be patronized. I understand the goals set and it's a lie that the work is "FINALIZED".

The circular just irked me. We had street lights that worked and after removal, just one. Actually I should be the last to bitch since the one is in front of my house in the middle of the block. It is a quality of life issue however. Crime exists under cover of darkness. The only redeeming situation is that a church on the corner had a break in and now leave many exterior lights on all night, which helps at that end a bit. I've made many phone call and emails this AM. I don't care to be patronized. I understand the goals set and it's a lie that the work is "FINALIZED".
    Well if they already put one working LED streetlight in the middle of your block, then they're finished with the re-lighting job on your street under the current plan [[65,000 LED lights, a reduction from the 88,000+ streetlights before) The other working streetlights you had aren't coming back on, unless they adjust the current plan to add additional streetlights beyond the current 65,000 goal...

The new LED bulbs are brighter, but they lack diffusers and leaves areas not immediately under them pitch black [[and having fewer working streetlight poles with these LED bulbs just adds insult to this injury). The old lights meanwhile whould light up half a block or even a block with just one lamp and streetlight pole.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-29-15 at 11:40 AM. Reason: v

Thank you 313WX. Your explaination is far clearer than any I've gotten from city officials. Apparently, the corner lights come under connector streets designation which will be done last. So apparently we will have small islands of light surrounded by vast darkness for a long time to come.

I hate these lights! I hate the plan!
    on our little, narrow street the new light in the middle of a street only eight lots long and so narrow that it has to be one-way, the LED-lit circle is glaring, unforgiving, over bearing light pouring into homes, upstairs bedrooms and living rooms in the front of the houses, but NOT LIGHTING the environs, the itch-dark alley-ways, creating unnerving shadowed spaces outside the small umbrella of light.
    For the few homes in the bright umbrella all night, there is some danger. Plenty of scientific evidence that long-term ambient light exposure during dark night hours creates a significant breat-cancer risk.
    you can't escape the glare!

I have noticed on the rare occaision we need to be out in the dark early AM or the dark PM more and more folk on the street carrying big flash lights. Wondered a bit... was it for personal protection or just wanting to see their way. I imagine it is a bit of both.

I have two grants in front of me for neighborhood improvement. 5K and 3K Think I'll tear them up and start over. Will request Flashlights, the big heavy ones, rape whistles and solar lawn lights. Most likely the grantors will laugh their asses off but at least I will have made a statement. I'll sent copies to applicable agencies.

Thank you 313WX. Your explaination is far clearer than any I've gotten from city officials. Apparently, the corner lights come under connector streets designation which will be done last. So apparently we will have small islands of light surrounded by vast darkness for a long time to come.
    The reason city officials are being so vague about the new plan is because they know people won't like the results. It's polishing turds by the Duggan administration so to speak [[so instead of a city government that was corrupt but transparent, we have a city government that's corrupt but not held accountable). They keep claiming the new lighting meet "national guidelines," but I have yet to see these so-called "national guidelines" they're referring to. But note that other major cities [[NYC and Seattles) aren't removing working streetlights in their transition to LED lamps to meet so-called "national guidelines."

Recall that the PLA was Bing's baby, and his goal with the PLA was to eliminate half of the streetlights in the city [[part of the Detroit Works "shrink the city" blue print). Basically, the PLA has been executing Bing's streetlighting plan, but with adjustments.

I've stop shoveling snow at night because you can no longer see if sketchy people are lurking around [[unlike underthe old streetlighting configuration), especially given all of the news I've been hearing recently of snow shovelers being attacked...
    Last edited by 313WX; January-29-15 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I hate these lights! I hate the plan!
    on our little, narrow street the new light in the middle of a street only eight lots long and so narrow that it has to be one-way, the LED-lit circle is glaring, unforgiving, over bearing light pouring into homes, upstairs bedrooms and living rooms in the front of the houses, but NOT LIGHTING the environs, the itch-dark alley-ways, creating unnerving shadowed spaces outside the small umbrella of light.
    For the few homes in the bright umbrella all night, there is some danger. Plenty of scientific evidence that long-term ambient light exposure during dark night hours creates a significant breat-cancer risk.
    Actually never thought about it but you are right, when power went out in our area for 1.5 weeks we spent a lot of time in our front rooms as that lighting did flood in.

Not much into conspiracy theories but it is strange that for no reason, one side of the street goes out, then the other side, than two blocks over etc.

Plenty of scientific evidence that long-term ambient light exposure during dark night hours creates a significant breat-cancer risk.
    At my home we use blinds and drapes to block light from coming into the home. They've been very effective.

I understand how the flyer would be frustrating, it reminds me of something else...

Name:  mission-accomplished.jpg
Views: 24738
Size:  43.4 KB

I understand that some neighborhoods are going to get done before others. They have to start somewhere, and when you have to do 140 square miles, sometimes it won't always make sense.
    Last edited by Scottathew; January-29-15 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    At my home we use blinds and drapes to block light from coming into the home. They've been very effective.

I understand how the flyer would be frustrating, it reminds me of something else...

I understand that some neighborhoods are going to get done before others. They have to start somewhere, and when you have to do 140 square miles, sometimes it won't always make sense.
    Sorry could not open the attachment. No worries anyone who knows me totally understand electronics go frizzy around me. Total truth!

48214 was supposed to be completed January, 2015. They claim it is, but isn't. Our local state rep said she didn't approve of the authority because they had no accountability. She got that right. Our lights were removed if I recall correctly, July 18th, 2014

Initially told 5 to 7 weeks, then 10 weeks, then December, then January.

Curious as to which hotel [[and in what state) do they plan to party at for a job not done.

Sorry could not open the attachment. No worries anyone who knows me totally understand electronics go frizzy around me. Total truth!
    The attachment was\is the "Mission Accomplished" banner from GWB's speech saying that we're all-set in Iraq. I'll see if I can fix it.

To 313WX, I loved the phrase, "polishing turds" may I steal that.

Most likely this is my last post regarding this subject. I have made my calls, sent my emails.

Did go on the city website and no email was listed, so I called. Got some bimbo named Kitty who suggested I e mail because she couldn't possibly write my message regarding lighting.

The web site for the city does not list emails for the mayors office. She gave it to me. Tediously spelling over and over without my input or request how to spell MAYOR. That's what she thinks of residents, no comment on my opinion of her, kind of obvious.

No doubt calls are flowing in. I am one voice in many.

I do love my home, my neighbors and neighborhood. I am just one voice among many that insist communities get support.

Sumas, it's going to be people like you that bring and guide change.

I'm watching at a distance [[21 Mile Road), but you're in the trenches, invested, and driving for change.

I wish you luck.

"At my home we use blinds and drapes to block light from coming into the home. They've been very effective."

Yes, very effective. I do have a brain in my head, you know.
    I spent about $150 recently to purchase custom blackout roller shades for one room.
    But it is winter. Great to keep the windows all covered up.
    On summer evenings I won't want to have blinds and drapes impeding fresh air. I guess that now I have to get central air reto-fitted - just to sleep on summer nights away from the glare.

It is a problem that they put these glaring lights within feet of small homes on small lots. Alley lights would have been a way better solution for us. We don't need light in the middle of our little blocks. We have porch lights, etc.

The pitch-dark alleys don't have light and we have way too much pouring into our homes.

Astonishingly bad planning and solutions in my opinion.

I can tell you all that the Plan was developed with a lighting engineer consultant from the University of Michigan:

From Council Minutes:
    "Submitting reso. autho. Contract No. 86092 - 100% City Funding – To Provide
    a Strategic Consultant – Sridhar Lakshmanan
    –Contract Period: July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012 – $125.00 per hour -
    $1,000.00 per diem - Contract Amount Not to Exceed: $100,000.00 PUBLIC
    LIGHTING [[REFERRED TO THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY STANDING COMMITTEE 07-25-11)

So, if you want to comment on the Plan itself you might email him. maybe he would appreciate comments from the end-users:
    Sridhar Lakshmanan, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor

[[313) 593-5516
    224 Engineering Laboratory Building [[ELB)
    University of Michigan - Dearborn
    Dearborn, Michigan 48128

It is a problem that they put these glaring lights within feet of small homes on small lots. Alley lights would have been a way better solution for us. We don't need light in the middle of our little blocks. We have porch lights, etc.
    Most resident complains that I've seen\heard is that the streets are too dark, and not everyone has the funds to install\light a porch light 24/7.

Not trying to discount your opinion, it certainly matters, but you might be in the minority of folks.

When it comes to alley lights, I have heard other folks saying the same thing. There is a program with DTE where they'll install the alley light for $100, and you'll have to pay $17 a month for upkeep\electricity. I would imagine it would be much cheaper to get a bright floodlight.

Really, I think most homes in Detroit have a porch light - this isn't new build, you know. Most houses have been at least 50 years in existence. The planner should have taken the ubiquity of residential lighting in dense neighborhoods [[like mine) into consideration. And as to how expensive it is to run a light a maximum of 10 hours per 24-hour period - I believe it is pennies.

I don't think that i'm in the minority of folks. The complaints about the lighting plan are huge in many neighborhoods. You should see what they say in IV about the plan.

Just so second-rate [[what did I expect, I guess))

As to a "bright floodlight" - that WOULD be expensive. We pay pay for our porchlights and we taxes for the other places - why should we have to pay to light the alleys?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Sumas, it's going to be people like you that bring and guide change.

I'm watching at a distance [[21 Mile Road), but you're in the trenches, invested, and driving for change.

I wish you luck.
    Thank you and very kind. My really evil activist days are over. Mostly an arm chair bitch now. I am getting amazing response however from my calls etc. Kind of pleased I haven't lost my touch. We are now, nobodies.

I guess I lied, spied on the thread, quality of life, remains important no matter what community.

We did live briefly [[9 mo) near 20 mile and Romeo plank. For a city person it was wierd, mostly nice people though. My youngest was in second grade. He had a super stellar teacher.

Call backs amaze.

Appros of nothing, I wonder if any other Hudsons ex employees remember nobodies.

I guess the noisy wheel gets the call backs, but the proof in the pudding is results.

As to a "bright floodlight" - that WOULD be expensive. We pay pay for our porchlights and we taxes for the other places - why should we have to pay to light the alleys?
    I've converted wholly over to LED\CFL for all my lighting needs. CFL doesn't work too well outside for a light that's on a motion sensor, as they have to "warm up" in the winter time and don't provide full brightness for sometimes 5-10 minutes depending on the temperature outside.

But I hear what you're saying, you probably pay more in taxes than what I do, but receive less services, and that sucks. The decision to cut alley lighting was a pretty hard-hitting one, especially when they're going in and ripping out functioning lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast