Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Fury13,

7 VO bar was/is on 7 Mile just East of Schoenner.

A Boomba is just a large draft beer, usually a rounded shape glass.
    about the size of a small fish bowl would be OK.
    Thanks. I had never heard of the 7 VO. I assume it's still open?

I do know what a boomba is.

LodgeDodger Guest

The History of Boomba Records

In 1990, Duffy Armstrong and Matt Merta, two Detroit musicians, decided to form Boomba Records. The label would help promote the city's thriving alternative music talent that performed at various venues, especially in the new-music bars of the inner-suburb of Hamtramck. Boomba [[Polish for "a glass of beer") has continued this endeavor, although it has narrowed its scope of music genre. ...

http://www.geocities.com/boombarecords/history.html

Good thing I went on this thread. Keeps me unpolitical. I sent the link to the Abicks article to a longtime now former SW Detroiter. He used to drink there with his Father who was a regular. Then he listed about every bar that has been posted in this thread and others in the Mich /Livernois area.Thanks Slick for making his day.

Manya is the greatest, everybody needs to go to Abicks atleast once. Good People, Good atmosphere, Good drinks.

Do they serve food there or did they ever have fish fries? My deceased father in law used to do every bar in SW Detroit back in the 40's that had a fish fry.

They do serve food. There is always the standard bar fare [[wing dings, chicken fingers, poppers, etc.) and then Manya usually has something amazing prepared...pierogi, sloppy joes, pulled pork, THE BEST borscht in the midwest...the list goes on & on. They also have fish fries. And Eric, Manya's grandson, fries up a killer turkey, using the Detroit firehouse "Cooks Club" recipe. I think he only pulls that out once or twice a year though - always for the March charity event.
    Last edited by 4Oranges; August-07-09 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...r-going-strong

Great article on the every corner bar. Dont think I was ever at Abicks. Being an eastsider, I can name a few, a vanishing breed. The bars not the eastsiders.

Grew up in Poletown, now a Cadillac plant. Delivered newspapers to a few.
    Tippin Inn, Ford Service drive and Ellery,
    Anna's Ford service drive and Elmwood,
    Melody Inn, Piquette and Mitchell
    Poppy bar, McDougal and Farnsworth
    Nicks, Ferry and Moran

These were from when I was a kid, did not drink beer in these establishments.
    Most of my drinking was in Hamtramck
    Mr. Joe's Bar,
    For a true neighborhood shot and beer joint...HIPPOs in Hamtramck on Conant[[the Conger bar across the street in Detroit is now closed) and the WHISKEY IN THE JAR.

How about Roosevelt Bar?

Yes Roosevelt bar and Hippos defintly fit the category.
    Whisky in a Jar is the old Mr Joe's.

so many bars, so little time

Default East Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Enough with the nostalgia. What's a good eastside bar NOW?
    I have had some good nights at the East Bar on Mack just east of Alter. Get the homemade tacos. They are cheap and super delicious!

K-Andy on W.Vernor in SWD was a favorite of mine. They had a great shuffle board table and every year Mike F put on a really nice St. Pat's party. K-Andy was the only neighborhood bar I felt at home in.

I agree, but I may be a bit partial. I used to tend ar at the Ebb Tide <3, miss that place and all the good times and people!

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    First Place, yeah, OK... but Nikki's was a LOT better when it was the Ebb Tide.

^^^ Welcome to Detroityes holidazed!

Quote Originally Posted by holidazed View Post
    I agree, but I may be a bit partial. I used to tend ar at the Ebb Tide <3, miss that place and all the good times and people!
    Correct me if i'm wrong but in the early 80's, didn't Ebb Tide have Three Stooges marathons on a particular night?

Jake's Bar, Farnsworth and Mitchell. The Kessler's was kept in the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    For a true neighborhood shot and beer joint...HIPPOs in Hamtramck on Conant[[the Conger bar across the street in Detroit is now closed) and the WHISKEY IN THE JAR.
    I checked out Hippos in streetview. The place looks like an emoji or a Lac-man type character ready To swally you up from the sidewalk. Don't want anybody on acid walk in there.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I checked out Hippos in streetview. The place looks like an emoji or a Lac-man type character ready To swally you up from the sidewalk. Don't want anybody on acid walk in there.
    Oh. Ha! It was demolished.

To be clear, it was still there at the time of kellyroad's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Oh. Ha! It was demolished.

To be clear, it was still there at the time of kellyroad's post.
    Oops! Sorry to hear that.
    Probably pitch a tent and turn the vacant lot into a chicha smoking
    Bar for Hamtramck Muslims. Not too many shots and beers served there. Lol

Abicks bar is great - but I have fond memories of Polka Inn on McGraw - used to have to go in and drag my dad home for dinner some nights - I still have a boomba glass that he later told me he got into a bar fight over that glass but he didn't go into details... the glass is very think and heavy - I should have gotten rid of it years ago when cleaning out his house but it's a memory I just can't throw away.

I don’t know if you are still active here but I am curious about Dex Walter’s. I remember it had a piano bar. Do you know anything about who played there? I am a professional player currently at the Caucus Club and I just can’t imagine a piano bar in such a small room in the middle of a neighborhood. I wish I could have experienced the place but I was too young at that time.

Used to go to Hec's on Gratiot at Grinnell during my construction worker days, they cashed paychecks and had good burgers, don't think it's still there.
    Currently, Marge's - Get the perch platter on Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Jazz View Post
    I don’t know if you are still active here but I am curious about Dex Walter’s. I remember it had a piano bar. Do you know anything about who played there? I am a professional player currently at the Caucus Club and I just can’t imagine a piano bar in such a small room in the middle of a neighborhood. I wish I could have experienced the place but I was too young at that time.
    I'm not the person who posted about it originally, but I remember Dex Walter's because my grandmother and step-grandfather used to live a few blocks away in the '70s and '80s and would go there regularly to play euchre. I was in there a few times with them. One of the old guys who was involved in running the place would occasionally play the piano and sing a song or two. I can think of a number of old east side bars that had pianos and even piano bars, although they had mostly gone out of use by the '70s. There used to be a lot of live music all over the area back then.

Marge's, not all that far away on Mack, and about the same size as Dex's was, still has live jazz a couple of nights a month.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-28-20 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Used to go to Hec's on Gratiot at Grinnell during my construction worker days, they cashed paychecks and had good burgers, don't think it's still there.
    Currently, Marge's - Get the perch platter on Fridays.
    I think you mean to say Gratiot and French road.The corner that the bar was on has a White Castle on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I think you mean to say Gratiot and French road.The corner that the bar was on has a White Castle on it now.
    Yes, you are correct, I thought about it after I posted. Grinnell runs into French just north of Gratiot. Used to work on Grinnell in the mid 70's to mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Pop's second home was Henry's Bar on Gratiot. He used to go with some of the neighborhood Dads to the Seven VO bar on Seven Mile.
    My dad and I drank at 7- VO when he wasn't drinking closer to home, either the M 97 or Forsberg's on Hoover north of State Fair.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast