Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Anyone remember the Curve Bar, on Van Dyke just North of Harper?

Ralph's Picture Bar, Cruise Inn, Milo's Sugar Shack, K-Andy's, Mel's, Kaysas, Dorthy's Sidetrack Saloon.

Every bar seemed to have its own identity and its own "regulars"

Ahhh, the memories.

Bit north of Detroit, but the Waldenburg Inn out in macomb County is a great place with refugees from Detroit still talking about the good old days. You can still get a "shot and a shell" which is the correct term for a shot and beer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Bit north of Detroit, but the Waldenburg Inn out in macomb County is a great place with refugees from Detroit still talking about the good old days. You can still get a "shot and a shell" which is the correct term for a shot and beer there.
    Do you come out shell shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Do you come out shell shot?
    Never been that way as I never mix drinks. I drink beer, I drink beer. I drink wine, I drink wine. I drink the hard stuff,I stay with it [[and usually don't shift brands and types while doing so). Just set in my ways [[and 80-plus years has given me the privilege.).

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    I liked Your Place Lounge and JY's, but both are closed.
    Your Place used to be Bob and Cy's and Pete's Bar was in the little brick building on the corner of E Warren and University. This was back in the 60's to early 70's.

The Detroiter bar on Warren just west of Southfield was where the finest drunks in Warrendale could be found. Sometimes passed out in the parking lot, but found nonetheless. Torn down a few years ago, just like more than a few of the houses in what was once a pretty nice neighborhood of Polacks, cops, and Mayor Gribbs's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by TR Anderson View Post
    Your Place used to be Bob and Cy's and Pete's Bar was in the little brick building on the corner of E Warren and University. This was back in the 60's to early 70's.
    If I remember correctly, Your Place was still there well into the 1980’s.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If I remember correctly, Your Place was still there well into the 1980’s.
    I believe Your Place was still there into the 90's. I never knew "Boomba" was Polish for Goblet of Beer, but I remember they always came in heavy goblets. I recall getting a Shell, which was a small 10 or 12 oz glass, and a Schooper was a big mug of beer.

I also remember a lot of the smaller breweries back in the day = Pfieffer, Hamm's, Drewery's, Blatz, Heilmann's, Schafer's, Carling, etc. Now your choices are Bud Light or some skanky craft beers that are flavored with citrus, cherries, or old socks.

We always called Pete's the "No-Name Bar" because the neon sign out front was broken and only said "Bar."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3