Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How come very few people know who Derek St Holmes is ?

Why Has Derek St Holmes never received more recognition in Detroit for his Music ? Almost everyone knows his voice but very few know who he is he did the vocals on almost every hit Ted Nugent had in the 70's Stranglehold, Snakeskin cowboy, Hey Baby, Stormtroopin, Just What The Doctor Ordered , Dog Eat Dog and did much of guitar work on the Album Cat Scratch fever.

I have never heard one rock and roll radio station in Detroit ever mention his name once and seen very little ever mentioned in the paper. Ted Nugent was asked once why Ted got all the Credit for Stranglehold His explanation: "There's only one alpha wolf, and that's me."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=31

Had he not been the hireling of an egomaniacal sociopath, or if he had done anything else of significance, he might be better known

Nowadays Nugent gives him his props, but back in the day he didn't seem to. His voice is far better than Ted's, that's for sure. Even though he was the singer, Nugent was the 'front man', and that's the guy who typically gets the recognition, especially when the band is named after that guy and that guy is the aforementioned egomamniac that he is.

Has anyone actually listened to a Ted Nugent record since the late '70s? [[Or since they got to be on the high side of 20?).

He seems now to be mostly the rockin' "bad boy" of the arrested adolescent semi-geriatric angry old white guys dudes who like to play with guns crowd, and playing his loud thudding idiot-rock with such "rebels" as Mike Huckabee.

Perhaps if Mr. St. Holmes had played with someone that anyone actually has cared about in the last 35 years he'd be better known.

I think you're confusing him with Derek Smalls and David St. Hubbins. Though I think Viv Savage is the real heart of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    I think you're confusing him with Derek Smalls and David St. Hubbins. Though I think Viv Savage is the real heart of the band.
    Damn, where is that thumbs up button?