Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Au Bon Pain under seizure

Au Bon Pain has signed posted on the door stating "UNDER SEIZURE BY THE STATE OF MICHIGAN."

the cafe is still open and running, anyone know what is going on? Looks like a tax issue - kind of surprising, the place is expensive yet always busy.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    Au Bon Pain has signed posted on the door stating "UNDER SEIZURE BY THE STATE OF MICHIGAN."

the cafe is still open and running, anyone know what is going on? Looks like a tax issue - kind of surprising, the place is expensive yet always busy.
    Which one? The one on Campus Martius?

Yep - sorry, I forget about the one at the DMC

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    Yep - sorry, I forget about the one at the DMC
    And the location in the Ren Cen.

lilpup Guest

It's not hard for a struggling business to end up in sales and/or payroll tax trouble. Those are easy to manipulate and short-change with the intent of making it up when business turns around...but sometimes that day just never seems to arrive.

What a... pain.

So what does Au Bon Pain translate to in English?

Dang foo-foo French language anyway. Only French I know is Jacques Plante and Hockee pock.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    So what does Au Bon Pain translate to in English?

Dang foo-foo French language anyway. Only French I know is Jacques Plante and Hockee pock.
    "To Good Bread", I believe.

If you're in there, tell 'em "Seizure later. It's been a pressure." [[Sorry.)

apparently they'll be back next week? The article states tuesday morning which i would assume means a week from now unless it is a typo
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009080.../90804066/1001
    interesting

Update here says they're reopening tomorrow. We'll see. Be another setback to lose it--I've enjoyed sitting there watching the skaters.

http://freep.com/article/20090804/NE...ampus-Martius-
    Last edited by texorama; August-04-09 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added link

I doubt au bon pain will re-open there, but I hope something does soon. It's a prime piece of real estate. Is it leased from the conservancy that runs campus martius? My optimism is low that it will re-open --- it will fall into the fate of Twingo's and the Mercury Bar. But something will survive there ...

bah the freep article now says wed. morning
    silly freep with their post editing making me look crazy, i had a feeling that was a mistake
    you'd think they'd catch more of those...