Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Re-zoning the neighborhoods

The midtown re-zoning thread has raised a question in my head. The common theory for the revitalization of Detroit is that when [[and if) the growth of midtown and downtown are enough, then it will spill into the neighborhoods. Do the neighborhoods themselves need to be rezoned to support more dense, urban housing? I truly do envision North End or the neighborhoods west of the Lodge [[Woodbridge, Briggs, and Core City), Corktown, or the Villages to become the closest thing to Brooklyn, especially Bay Ridge or Park Slope, in Detroit.

I don't know anything about zoning or zoning laws, but since Detroit was once a city of single family dwellings and we want to create a more urban landscape, I'm not sure the inner Grand Boulevard [[and North End) neighborhoods should be built the same way they were before.

Any thoughts? Insights?

Generally I like the idea of future-use plans and master-plans for zoning. Then local leaders are able to use this in making zoning decisions.

However, I've got a feeling that we'll need to be more dynamic in Detroit as it comes back.

The zoning's already there [[on the books) in most neighborhoods, specifically on the lower east side and SW Detroit.

But the neighborhoods have declined to the point that it's not really enforced...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves until anything substantial starts to reach beyond the 7.2. I think greenspace should be a consideration, and seeing as to how there's tons of it now due to unintended consequences, this should be a priority when the conversation does take place.

As for current zoning, [[which in Detroit historically has had no rhyme or reason, mixing industrial with residential), there are very few restrictions in the area you mention that are limited to single family dwellings, as there used to be tons of multi-family dwellings. I do like the idea being proposed in the Corridor for more mixed use, but once again, let's cross that bridge once expansion seems viable.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; January-27-15 at 05:46 PM.

Having been engaged with numerous east area business related non profits, I am jaded.

Pretty pictures and presentations just seemed to have gone no where! Some funded to the tune of 500K.

The little groups seem to get more done while underfunded.