Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Unjian Wood Speciality Co.

Would anyone know anything about "Unjian Wood Specialty Co." that was located on Oakman Blvd in Highland Park, across from the former Sander's factory?
    [[Though the address in the ledger is listed as Detroit)
    We purchased the building, and while tearing down walls, located a ledger in one of the ceilings. It was owned by a Harry Unjian and it's also noted that the company built a display case for Kresge in 1948.
    Later it appears the building was home to A & G Novelty Company....
    Very curious to find any history.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by citychick View Post
    ... while tearing down walls, located a ledger in one of the ceilings....
    Do you think it was hidden there? Why else would it be there? Do you have any theory as to why it would have been hidden there?

What a fascinating find!

It is a very intresting find, now more peeps are curious. I am also curious what your future plans are with your propery that you are working on in HP if the time is right and you wouldn't mind sharing. Many on this forum love hearing about the old buildings in the city's getting new uses.

Actually I'm curious about it too - why was it hidden, or was it löst? There was a space above the ceiling, maybe it was used for storage...there was a ledger and cancelled checks, etc.
    We're renovating the building into residential on one side and a workshop, artist space and gallery shop on the other side.

Congratulations on your new gallery! I will have to stop by when it opens.

maybe this is the same guy. second paragraph says "uncle harry unjian did all the carpentary and woodwork..."

http://www.stjohnsarmenianchurch.org...LCJUNE2013.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Congratulations on your new gallery! I will have to stop by when it opens.
    Thank you
    Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    maybe this is the same guy. second paragraph says "uncle harry unjian did all the carpentary and woodwork..."

http://www.stjohnsarmenianchurch.org...LCJUNE2013.pdf
    WOW - great find. Thank you - I think that is him.

Quote Originally Posted by citychick View Post
    WOW - great find. Thank you - I think that is him.
    your welcome. i didn't see the date of the article but i bet if it's recent, you could get a hold of the nephew. yes please keep us updated.

I am the grand daughter of Harry Unjian.

Welcome to Detroityes Lucee!

citychick's most recent activity was on September-01-15 02:16 PM so she might not see this.

Yeah, thought I would take a chance. Does anyone know if she still has that building?