Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Put WDET 101.9 radio back together again

Still trying to hang in and support my public radio station, but its getting hard. There's been a huge void since Craig Fahle left. Doesn't have the same pop it used to. And they keep ambushing me for more bucks with these spontaneous pledge drives almost when they feel like it. Hate that!!!

I like the pairing of Laura Webber Davis and Stephen Henderson but nowhere near the energy that Fahle brought to the mic in the mornings. They need to make Sandra Svoboda a full-time anchor. She's got great reporting chops and did an amazing job reporting on the bankruptcy. They also need a big star to pick up where Fahle left off. Either they lure one in or create one from their current group of reporters. Give Pat Batchellor his own show or dip over to the music side and give Ann Delisi a talk show. I love their interview styles and they have star power!

They need to expand the music programming and make it during the weekdays after say 5pm. DET still gets it right with their music shows led by my personal fave Ann Delisi's Essential Music and I absolutely love Chris Campbell's Progressive Underground show, extremely fresh and interesting. I've discovered more music from those two shows and their music takes me places. Jon Mosier's Modern Music still rocks! I love the Alpha broadcasts, but they replay the same ones over and over. Need fresh content!! The rest of the music shows play good music but the djs are forgettable save for Ed Love who just sounds tired.

I wish they would produce more local programming. So many amazing stories coming out of the "D," but all I get fed is a steady stream of national npr shows that all sound the same?? Not gonna cut it. And did I say that I hate the surprise pledge drives begging me for more money??

They've lost a step but nothing that can't be fixed. How do you piece 'DET back together Detroit Yes?
    Last edited by DetroitRocks; January-26-15 at 03:54 PM.

I switched to WUOM a long time ago.

Welcome to the forum DetroitRocks. Excellent first post and question.

I am a huge fan and long-time donor to WDET - donating $5 by mail in the very first fundraiser drive. It was primarily a classical music station then and I got over my hurt feelings when they moved away from that and a few other moves [even a small scandal] over the years and always support it.

Why? Because even in its lower moments WDET towers over all other non-public radio and who can beat NPR for national and world news?

Craig Fahle was a big loss but, in fairness to those filling his slot, it took him a couple of years to find his feet. After that it became the most informative show on Detroit that has ever been produced. His shoes are too big to fill and those that are, mainly people who came to be known on his show, are not yet up to his level.

Local news coverage has greatly improved recent years and I hope that aspect continues to grow.

BTW, I also toss in for WUOM occasionally which I also like but the Ann Arbor crowd keeps them well-funded and their pledge drives brief.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Welcome to the forum DetroitRocks. Excellent first post and question.

I am a huge fan and long-time donor to WDET - donating $5 by mail in the very first fundraiser drive. It was primarily a classical music station then and I got over my hurt feelings when they moved away from that and a few other moves [even a small scandal] over the years and always support it.

Why? Because even its lower moments WDET towers over all other non-public radio and who can beat NPR for national and world news?

Craig Fahle was a big loss but, in fairness to those filling his slot, it took him a couple of years to find his feet. After that it became the most informative show on Detroit that has ever been produced. His shoes are too big to fill and those that are, mainly people who came to be known on his show, are not yet up to his level.

Local news coverage has greatly improved recent years and I hope that aspect continues to grow.

BTW, I also toss in for WUOM occasionally which I also like but the Ann Arbor crowd keeps them well-funded and their pledge drives brief.
    I used to listen to Craig Fahle 's show on the Internet and I agree that he had all the good points of a great interviewer. I think that his research team may still be at WDET and it is a matter of finding a strong successor. Someone conversant with the city's business, Arts and other communities.

I've switched to CJAM99.1 for, ah, 99% of my radio listening. My studio is in the midtown dead-zone for 91.7 [[WUOM). 101.9 is my fallback, if the white noise is killing me. Most of the midday talk shows [[The Moth, Snap Judgement, On Being, The Takeaway) get on my nerves, probably from over-listening. Q is better now that Gian Gomeshi is gone. The back-to-back repeat of All Things Considered in the 4-6PM window is exhausting -- right when the day feels long, you hear the same news segment twice in a row?

As for the Detroit show, the new hosts are less polished, but also less grating than Craig was. Probably with time they'll get the hang of it.

I'll be the first one to admit to missing midday free form music- the kind that Ann Delisi and Rob Reinhart are playing on the weekends now. Remember when it was Judy Adams, Dave Dixon and Martin Bandyke that played whatever they felt like and it was jazz, bluegrass, progressive, country/ western, and pretty much anything under the sun? Sometimes, more often than not- they'd play something that I didn't necessarily like but it exposed me to a different genre of music and while not loving it, I did learn to appreciate it a little more.

I loved the fact that WDET has knowledgeable musical folks at the helm. They hear a helluva lot more music than I do and it's their responsibility [[and it also seems like their passion) to stitch together a good radio show. Why be pigeon holed into playing one genre of music all the live long day? I remember vaguely during the noon until 1:00 slot they'd play a very focused form of music programming such as Piano Jazz or Afro Pop- but it was only for an hour which for me was just right to hear it and appreciate it.

WDET is singlehandedly responsible for more of my personal music library than I care to talk about. Throughout the years they've introduced me to more unique forms of music that I know would never stand a chance on commercial radio. These folks do an amazing job and I make it a point to donate a few sheckels every time they come calling.

I have said it before and I will say it again. For my listening pleasure Radio Canada 2, 89.9 FM and ICI Musique, 103.9 FM. No dial twisting unless you are lucky enough to have an extremely accurate analog stereo receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'll be the first one to admit to missing midday free form music- the kind that Ann Delisi and Rob Reinhart are playing on the weekends now. Remember when it was Judy Adams, Dave Dixon and Martin Bandyke that played whatever they felt like and it was jazz, bluegrass, progressive, country/ western, and pretty much anything under the sun? Sometimes, more often than not- they'd play something that I didn't necessarily like but it exposed me to a different genre of music and while not loving it, I did learn to appreciate it a little more.

I loved the fact that WDET has knowledgeable musical folks at the helm. They hear a helluva lot more music than I do and it's their responsibility [[and it also seems like their passion) to stitch together a good radio show. Why be pigeon holed into playing one genre of music all the live long day? I remember vaguely during the noon until 1:00 slot they'd play a very focused form of music programming such as Piano Jazz or Afro Pop- but it was only for an hour which for me was just right to hear it and appreciate it.

WDET is singlehandedly responsible for more of my personal music library than I care to talk about. Throughout the years they've introduced me to more unique forms of music that I know would never stand a chance on commercial radio. These folks do an amazing job and I make it a point to donate a few sheckels every time they come calling.
    And that's one thing they don't get. As a sustaining member, I wanna hear MORE MUSIC! They need to stop the talk around 5 or 6 pm and have music for the rest of the night during the week and all music on the weekends. I wanna here music selected by knowledgeable hosts. I wanna hear more Ann Delisi, Chris Campbell, Jon Mosier. All that talk radio radio is for the birds. I can take it up to a point, but they don't get that and haven't gotten that since when they purged the station of its music personalities 7 or 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRocks View Post
    And that's one thing they don't get. As a sustaining member, I wanna hear MORE MUSIC! They need to stop the talk around 5 or 6 pm and have music for the rest of the night during the week and all music on the weekends.
    They're not ever gonna do this because 1) All Things Considered is on till 7 and is actively listened to and 2) Weekend shows like WWDTM, This American Life, and Radiolab are also just as popular as the music.

I have been listening to WHFR lately. What do the rest of you think of it?

http://whfr.fm/

HFR's signal has trouble reaching anything past the northwest side. I don't Know if CJAM's 99.1 signal just got stronger or if the new Ford has a more capable receiver, but i carry them up to 14 mile now. I do miss the days of DET's morning and afternoon music programming, but if I had to listen to Ann Delisi's rather soul-less programming I'd just as soon listen to non-stop blather.....over at the Ticket. Sorry, but DET has all but lost me accept for weekends after 5pm and Lozier.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post

Don't forget Ismael Ahmed with This Island Earth. I've been listening to his show since the WDTR days. If. he can't get you shakin' your bootie, no one can.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again. For my listening pleasure Radio Canada 2, 89.9 FM and ICI Musique, 103.9 FM. No dial twisting unless you are lucky enough to have an extremely accurate analog stereo receiver.
    I love the music and variety on 103.9, sure wish I had a clue to what they were saying.... oui?

When I can get it [[and reception is touch and go a lot of the time, depending on where I am) I listen to WEMU. Even though I find some of their programming more than a little unimaginative, they are really the only station to regularly play jazz in an area that has produced more important musicians per capita than pretty much any other in the country. Otherwise I listen to CBC stations.

I gave up on WDET years ago when they dumped most of their music programming, particularly during the daytime hours when I'm often out driving places. They once had such a wide variety of music programming, playing music that you didn't hear elsewhere. Many of those DJs knew their musical history stuff and were highly informative too [[and a few were old friends)

I and my Dad had given them money for years. But a public radio station in one of the most important music cities in the world that plays so little music makes no sense whatsoever and is a ridiculous shame.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-28-15 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I've switched to CJAM99.1 for, ah, 99% of my radio listening. My studio is in the midtown dead-zone for 91.7 [[WUOM). 101.9 is my fallback, if the white noise is killing me. Most of the midday talk shows [[The Moth, Snap Judgement, On Being, The Takeaway) get on my nerves, probably from over-listening. Q is better now that Gian Gomeshi is gone. The back-to-back repeat of All Things Considered in the 4-6PM window is exhausting -- right when the day feels long, you hear the same news segment twice in a row?

As for the Detroit show, the new hosts are less polished, but also less grating than Craig was. Probably with time they'll get the hang of it.
    I've never understood the fascination with The Moth, and On Being bores me to tears. I do a little better with Snap Judgement and the Takeaway, but don't want to hear them everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    When I can get it [[and reception is touch and go a lot of the time, depending on where I am) I listen to WEMU. Even though I find some of their programming more than a little unimaginative, they are really the only station to regularly play jazz in an area that has produced more important musicians per capita than pretty much any other in the country. Otherwise I listen to CBC stations.

I gave up on WDET years ago when they dumped most of their music programming, particularly during the daytime hours when I'm often out driving places. They once had such a wide variety of music programming, playing music that you didn't hear elsewhere. Many of those DJs knew their musical history stuff and were highly informative too [[and a few were old fiends)
    Yeah, that was a dark moment in 'DET's history. To get rid of knowledgeable hosts like Liz Copeland, Martin Bandyke, Chuck Horn was a travesty. They've recovered somewhat with Delisi, Campbell, Mosier, and Rob Reinhart who all cover a lot of ground musically. They know their stuff and should be on more than just the weekends.

I want a job at WDET.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I love the music and variety on 103.9, sure wish I had a clue to what they were saying.... oui?
    That is one of the nice things. I never get upset about the news or weather because I do not understand a word they are saying. The immersion [[sic) method seems to be working though because sumas is recalling her high school French and I can pick up a few words gleaned through my years with the Canadian Consulate General here in Detroit.

I'm glad you both enjoy the CBC French channel from Windsor, Ron and HonkyTonk. There is a program that features francophone music with translation to English on cbc2 entitled: A Propos. The host is Jim Corcoran, an Anglo Quebecker who chose to write in French throughout his long career. I listen to it once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm glad you both enjoy the CBC French channel from Windsor, Ron and HonkyTonk. There is a program that features francophone music with translation to English on cbc2 entitled: A Propos. The host is Jim Corcoran, an Anglo Quebecker who chose to write in French throughout his long career. I listen to it once in a while.
    I also a fan of Tonic with Tim Tamashiro, and listened to Jazz with Katie Malloch for years, before the show became Tonic. She was, what guy's my age call "A Looker"..... grrrrooowwwlll! I liked listening to Molly Johnson Saturday's, early a.m. I don't think she has the show anymore, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I also a fan of Tonic with Tim Tamashiro, and listened to Jazz with Katie Malloch for years, before the show became Tonic.
    The good thing about Tonic is that it's on 6 nights a week. With Edd Love, it's just Saturday night for a few hours.

Yeah, count me in with the 89.9 CBC Radio 2 fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    The good thing about Tonic is that it's on 6 nights a week. With Edd Love, it's just Saturday night for a few hours.

Yeah, count me in with the 89.9 CBC Radio 2 fans.
    Not to sure about George Stroumboulopous, though. I listen to an hour or so sometimes, then move on to WRCJ. Speaking of which, love Bob Parlocha's Jazz choices. I wish his show came on earlier. I can only catch bits and pieces when I have those sleepless nights.

Lots of folks forgot how much WDET was music-from six or seven at night until five in the morning. It was Martin Bandyke, Mosier [[one who worked at many radio stations), Ralph Valdez, Liz Copeland, Kim Sorice, Edd Love [[there was another jazz personality-was it Harris or Harring?), and oh, yeah, the famous Coachman.

I'm glad to say, I've been blessed to meet a lot of local radio D.J.s. Much of it involves being bold and eclectic. Yet, there was a huge "culture genocide" that occurred between 1999-2002. Things were better [[locally and nationwide) and stable like that for a long time. There's no reason folks had to ditch the good just to make room for new, standardized, slick, commercially appealing crizzap! Even classic rock stations played better stuff that had teeth.

Are you thinking of W. Kim Heron, with the Destination Out show?

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Are you thinking of W. Kim Heron, with the Destination Out show?
    Oh yes...thank you! I should know better, since I met the guy, helping out with one of their donation-fund-rasiers back in '97. I know Ed is still on, but sadly, for all he has given throughout the decades [[bless his heart), I would not expect to push the man past his current limits [[I'm just sad that it's now down to once a week).

It is good to see WRCJ giving a home to Dr. Dave, Goggin, Tony, and the rest-sort of picks up a lot of fragments of the kind of freedom that WDET once had going for it. The gap between what WDET was and any looser and daring format that any local college radio station [[CJAM, WXOU, WCBN, WHFR) had has gotten noticeably wider over the years. I barely remember the drastic changes [[and supposed "equivelant-to-stealing-a-stapler" scandal in news articles. Something to do with illegal promotions???) that caused many to leave WDET. I just knew we weren't given the full and accurate story of what transpired behind the scenes. It would be nice to know what can be done to improve and restore things behind the scenes within the currently established margins now.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast