Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit offers 50% off home discount to city workers

City of Detroit employees, retirees and their immediate families will receive half off homes sold in a city auction designed to save fixable homes in stable neighborhoods as part of a new incentive Mayor Mike Duggan's administration is to announce this morning.
    Current city workers — those on the city payroll or working on contract with the city — and retirees will be eligible for 50% off the final auction price of homes put up to bid through the Detroit Land Bank, spokesman Craig Fahle told the Free Press.

Factoring in immediate relatives — which include siblings, children and parents of the city's current and retired work force — adds a potential pool of buyers far beyond the city's current workforce of about 9,000, along with 23,000 retirees.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ives/22327567/

I like this program. Hopefully it will encourage more Detroit home ownership. People with city jobs have rather reliable employment, and retirees have a predictable fixed-income.

I hope it works out!

Great program! Look how well the incentive for Police Officers to buy homes, worked, from a few years back.

Sounds to me more like they are grasping at straws to fix a failing program.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...tion/22202417/

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post

Sounds to me like they are adjusting the program in order to improve it. Try something new; see if it works; if it doesn't work as well as expected shake it up a bit. How many of the 150 homes closed on and on the road to rehab would still be abandoned without this program? Most likely.....all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post

The auction program is not failing. It's selling houses like crazy. However, 90% of the auctioned homes are going to cash buyers, in part because many folks can't get a mortgage for the value of the home.

This adjustment to the program will encourage more home ownership, instead of investment properties.

I would much rather live next to a house that's owned by the person living there, instead of living next to someone who has little skin in the game and is only renting for a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    The auction program is not failing. It's selling houses like crazy. However, 90% of the auctioned homes are going to cash buyers, in part because many folks can't get a mortgage for the value of the home.

This adjustment to the program will encourage more home ownership, instead of investment properties.

I would much rather live next to a house that's owned by the person living there, instead of living next to someone who has little skin in the game and is only renting for a year or two.
    Do you own a home in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Do you own a home in Detroit?
    No, I do not. I work in Detroit, but I do not own a home in Detroit. I own a home that I live in Rochester Hills, and I own my last home [[not by choice) in Warren.

No, I do not. I work in Detroit, but I do not own a home in Detroit. I own a home that I live in Rochester Hills, and I own my last home [[not by choice) in Warren.
    I went to a friend's funeral in Rochester Hills about 2 month's ago. UNBELIEVABLE congestion. Especially Saturday on Main Street. I couldn't deal with it on a regular basis. You actually have to own property in Detroit, outside the Green Zone, to appreciate some of the remarks Detroiter's make on this forum. All these "new" ideas look good on paper, online, on TV. But until you actually deal WITH the problems, on a daily basis, you can't appreciate what people here are up against. On the surface, main thing that's being sold is hope. The carrot is always being dangled in front the mule. There are serious issues deeply entrenched, and it's going to take years to resolve, if, they ever will be. I wish this new plan the best of luck.

I don't understand the point of your post. If there is anyone waiting around for some magic bullet to come along and cure all Detroit's ailments rapidly then they are simply kidding themselves.

That being said, that doesn't mean this program is a fruitless effort. There are multiple fronts in the battle to fix Detroit. This is just one strategy aimed at just one of them. It has never been and shouldn't be viewed as some panacea for everything.

I went to a friend's funeral in Rochester Hills about 2 month's ago. UNBELIEVABLE congestion. Especially Saturday on Main Street. I couldn't deal with it on a regular basis. You actually have to own property in Detroit, outside the Green Zone, to appreciate some of the remarks Detroiter's make on this forum. All these "new" ideas look good on paper, online, on TV. But until you actually deal WITH the problems, on a daily basis, you can't appreciate what people here are up against. On the surface, main thing that's being sold is hope. The carrot is always being dangled in front the mule. There are serious issues deeply entrenched, and it's going to take years to resolve, if, they ever will be. I wish this new plan the best of luck.

They should offer this deal to others, regardless if they worked for or retired from the city. Open it up to all, if they can afford to purchase and rehab homes, and by doing that, it may get more homes back on the tax rolls, just don't make it inclusionary to just former or current city workers.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-26-15 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They should offer this deal to others, regardless if they worked for or retired from the city. Open it up to all, if they can afford to purchase and rehab homes, and by doing that, it may get more homes back on the tax rolls, just don't make it inclusionary to just former or current city workers.
    How do you make a auction half off to everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    How do you make a auction half off to everyone?
    You cannot. Everyone would just bid twice as much.

You cannot. Everyone would just bid twice as much.
    Then... They should have 90% off for everyone!

As a non "green zone" Detroiter, I can only say AMEN!! Does anyone remember the program Bing initiated for cops a few years ago? After all the publicity etc etc, did more than a handful participate? Detroit's problems can be summed up in four words; public safety & public schools. A fifty percent discount on a property you can never adequately secure in a neighborhood with schools you dare not send your children to is not a bargain - it's a dare.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Detroit's problems can be summed up in four words; public safety & public schools. A fifty percent discount on a property you can never adequately secure in a neighborhood with schools you dare not send your children to is not a bargain - it's a dare.

Public Safety? Isn't that like "CRIME" or something? Are you anti-cop?
    Public Schools? What are you? Anti teacher's union or something?

{sarcasm off}You really nailed Detroit's two main problems. Until these are addressed, Detroit can go nowhere as far as the 'hoods are concerned. No one wants to live and raise a family in an area with poor Public Safety and down right terrible Public Schools {Charters and Parochial not included}.

This is a chicken and the egg discussion. To fix those things at the level needed for families requires resources the city just doesn't have right now. So saying those things need to be step 1 is a fool's errand. You have to acquire those resources first.

The real step 1 of that process is simply getting properties of the city books and get people living in them. City-owned houses don't pay property taxes and they aren't filled with people paying city income taxes. Selling a property to someone who is going to pay their taxes and maintain their property is providing money to fund police, fire, schools, etc and neighborhoods that are well maintained act as a partial crime deterrent in and of themselves.

There is no magic bullet and there is no quick fix, but over time, hopefully the "Green Zone" will keep expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post

Public Safety? Isn't that like "CRIME" or something? Are you anti-cop?
    Public Schools? What are you? Anti teacher's union or something?

{sarcasm off}You really nailed Detroit's two main problems. Until these are addressed, Detroit can go nowhere as far as the 'hoods are concerned. No one wants to live and raise a family in an area with poor Public Safety and down right terrible Public Schools {Charters and Parochial not included}.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    This is a chicken and the egg discussion. To fix those things at the level needed for families requires resources the city just doesn't have right now. So saying those things need to be step 1 is a fool's errand. You have to acquire those resources first.

I really have to disagree about the chicken and egg analogy. I see is as more of a chicken and fox situation myself. If you want a field of chickens you need to get rid of the foxes or your chickens will all disappear.

A good way to get rid of the foxes [[criminals) is with a strong judicial system. Get rid of the judges that just turn criminals free with a slap on the wrists. Get judges that will be strong against crime. In the end that won't cost much as far as money is concerned. It is just getting replacement judges. When this happens even the police will try harder and then reward the good to great cops. These two things would do wonders for the crime situation of Detroit.

Now as to the Public School situation; Step one, the teachers unions. It is just too long of a process to write out here but do as Governor Walker of Wisconsin has done and break the power of the unions. BTW, this is a growing trend as this article in the USAToday shows. It is a fairly short article. Worth the read.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...lumn/18643307/

I really have to disagree about the chicken and egg analogy. I see is as more of a chicken and fox situation myself. If you want a field of chickens you need to get rid of the foxes or your chickens will all disappear.

A good way to get rid of the foxes [[criminals) is with a strong judicial system. Get rid of the judges that just turn criminals free with a slap on the wrists. Get judges that will be strong against crime. In the end that won't cost much as far as money is concerned. It is just getting replacement judges. When this happens even the police will try harder and then reward the good to great cops. These two things would do wonders for the crime situation of Detroit.

Now as to the Public School situation; Step one, the teachers unions. It is just too long of a process to write out here but do as Governor Walker of Wisconsin has done and break the power of the unions. BTW, this is a growing trend as this article in the USAToday shows. It is a fairly short article. Worth the read.
    .....Because nothing would help Detroit more than Walker-style budget deficits, fueled by tax cuts for the wealthy, and fewer middle class jobs. Perhaps Walker should bust the cop unions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    .....Because nothing would help Detroit more than Walker-style budget deficits, fueled by tax cuts for the wealthy, and fewer middle class jobs. Perhaps Walker should bust the cop unions as well.
    Well, we are talking money here. Before Walker reforms in Wisconsin Public School Districts were several million dollars in debt, now they have surpluses in the millions. Detroit is talking money and has just gone through bankruptcy. Hmmm....

BTW, if what I've read is true, the job market is growing in Wisconsin. Is it in the 'hoods of Detroit? Support the unions if you wish.

BTW It is budget SURPLUSES, not deficits in Wisconsin.

We've got our own Governor Walker in Rick Snyder, and I can't speak for Wisconsin, but the only job market growing here in Michigan, is minimum wage jobs, there's plenty of those.

So your first step towards better education is to go after educators? How about making sure they have the resources they need to be successful and pay them a wage that is dignified compared to the hours they put in and their level of education? I'm sorry, but you have that part all wrong.

Also, regardless of whether it's eggs, chickens, or foxes you are trying to rush several steps ahead without any real plan.

Yes, the end game for Detroit should be to have safe neighborhoods and good schools that will attract families to live there. However, for many parts of this city, that goal is a LONG time away and will require resources the city currently just doesn't have.

In the meantime, the city can take steps towards that. You can't attract families now, but you can attract young, single people who, in exchange for cheap housing, are willing take a chance. In exchange, you get a property off the city dime and contributing to the tax base with an owner who [[in theory) will maintain the place. The first step towards crime reduction is having a neighborhood that maintains its properties. Criminals don't like to operate as much in areas where the regular folks actually care about their community.

From there, property values rise and you start getting young professionals. Eventually they marry and start having kids. Inevitably, some will leave for the suburbs, but over time, some will stay. Eventually, the neighborhood achieves stability.

This process has been witnessed over and over in cities all across the country. I don't see why it can't happen in Detroit. In fact, it's already happening in Downtown and Midtown. There is no reason it can't keep spreading.

So your first step towards better education is to go after educators? How about making sure they have the resources they need to be successful and pay them a wage that is dignified compared to the hours they put in and their level of education? I'm sorry, but you have that part all wrong.

Also, regardless of whether it's eggs, chickens, or foxes you are trying to rush several steps ahead without any real plan.

Yes, the end game for Detroit should be to have safe neighborhoods and good schools that will attract families to live there. However, for many parts of this city, that goal is a LONG time away and will require resources the city currently just doesn't have.

In the meantime, the city can take steps towards that. You can't attract families now, but you can attract young, single people who, in exchange for cheap housing, are willing take a chance. In exchange, you get a property off the city dime and contributing to the tax base with an owner who [[in theory) will maintain the place. The first step towards crime reduction is having a neighborhood that maintains its properties. Criminals don't like to operate as much in areas where the regular folks actually care about their community.

From there, property values rise and you start getting young professionals. Eventually they marry and start having kids. Inevitably, some will leave for the suburbs, but over time, some will stay. Eventually, the neighborhood achieves stability.

This process has been witnessed over and over in cities all across the country. I don't see why it can't happen in Detroit. In fact, it's already happening in Downtown and Midtown. There is no reason it can't keep spreading.
    Meanwhile, those of us in the 'hood continue paying taxes, deal with the problems, and wait for reconstruction, while people in the Midtown area are yupping it up, and living the good life. They used to sell houses in Detroit for a dollar. That's how the neighborhoods got to the state you see them now. Same theory back then as they're trying to apply today. The only thing spreading is the B/S.

Never said it was a perfect solution and I never said it would be fast. But then again, things didn't go bad right away either.

Meanwhile, those of us in the 'hood continue paying taxes, deal with the problems, and wait for reconstruction, while people in the Midtown area are yupping it up, and living the good life. They used to sell houses in Detroit for a dollar. That's how the neighborhoods got to the state you see them now. Same theory back then as they're trying to apply today. The only thing spreading is the B/S.

We need to give educators the resources they need, AND hold them accountable. As to pay, I'm not sure what they get now, but I know several teachers that recently retired. The last few years they worked making 70K - 75K [[master's + 30) and they're going to get a sweet pension. It's not a bad deal for 30 years of working with summers off. I'm not saying they don't work hard, but I don't buy into that teacher's aren't compensated well.

I went through and worked at school districts that had teachers that needed accountability. Sub-par teachers are protected by unions with all available tools they have. Unions are required to do this.

There's also a lot of teachers that work really hard, really care, and get much more results than other teachers, and the sad part is the only reward for their efforts is an intrinsic one. There's no monetary motivation to work harder than the bare minimum. Your pay is defined by how long you've worked there, and whether you have your masters, masters +30, etc... Results don't matter.
    Last edited by Scottathew; January-28-15 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast