Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Editor's Note: The outstanding John Gallagher Freep Aritcle Dbest references below covers all of Roxbury's efforts deserves its own thread.

The first three posts below were appended to the Roxbury Group Re-Starts Book Caddy Garage Plans, Only Uglier thread and are copied here as a thread starter.

A little blurb at the bottom of this recent article pertaining to Roxbury's development projects down town says this about the project:

"Roxbury is also developing the Griswold, a residential project to be built atop the parking garage next door to the Westin Book Cadillac."

and this:

"The Plaza and the Griswold should both open in late 2016 or so."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...itch/22256813/

Thanks for the link Dbest...

The Roxbury has done a nice job on the Whitney, and will probably do a nice job on The Plaza.... but they sure sucked the historic feel out of the Globe Building.... any resemblance to a 19th century building is long gone... and for a good reason.... they tore down the Globe Building. All the discussions by the state about it being saved were not true. Check out the photo gallery....

http://detroitriverfront.org/riverfr...venture-center

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for the link Dbest...

The Roxbury has done a nice job on the Whitney, and will probably do a nice job on The Plaza.... but they sure sucked the historic feel out of the Globe Building.... any resemblance to a 19th century building is long gone... and for a good reason.... they tore down the Globe Building. All the discussions by the state about it being saved were not true. Check out the photo gallery....

http://detroitriverfront.org/riverfr...venture-center
    Haha, yeah... Thats a new building... I want to see their latest renderings and whether they are indeed going with that second look for the Griswold, hope not...

The Outdoor Adventure Center sure beats a rotting globe building. It's all in the eye of the beholder you can't make everyone happy all the time. The Roxbury Group is doing good work in the city, the renovation of the hammer and nail is going to be pretty exciting.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-25-15 at 10:49 PM.

Until I read John Gallagher's article I had not pieced together the significant role of Roxbury in the revival of downtown Detroit.

I stopped in at the Whitney on Tues. just to see the reno. While it`s a nice building, the main floor sure is sparse. I stood in the middle for about 10 seconds while the security guard and bartender stared at me. I wanted to holler just to see if it would echo but decided against it.

When will the Outdoor Adventure Center open? I had thought the opening date was sometimes last fall

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    When will the Outdoor Adventure Center open? I had thought the opening date was sometimes last fall
    Last I heard it was "2015", no month given.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Last I heard it was "2015", no month given.
    That's strange being that the office part is open already where the employees are getting a a pay check from a center that's not opened yet. Things that make you say "humm"

Building was completed last year with the office space ready for use, the display areas were completed to a whitebox to allow the display contractors to mobilize and start work. At that point the display contractors were brought in and their schedule has them opening in May 2015.

I love the fact that the Book Cadillac parking structure was designed so that apartments/condos could be built on top. It's a shame that more of them aren't designed this way, it's a smart idea. As far as judging the design I will wait till better renditions come out, it's still a huge positive that it can be built on the deck and it appears that it will happen sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    That's strange being that the office part is open already where the employees are getting a a pay check from a center that's not opened yet. Things that make you say "humm"
    You've whining about this for god knows how long. There's nothing strange about it, the employees in there staff the DNR's regional office so they should be getting a paycheck.