Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tigers: Mourning the expected loss of Max Scherzer

"Scherzer has agreed to a seven-year deal with the Nationals, according to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman.
    MLB.com reporter Jesse Sanchez later confirmed this report. Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports the deal is worth more than $180 million."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/01/18/max-scherzer-washington-nationals-contract/21965021/

So the Tigers lose Scherzer and probably David Price after this season. Tigers previously traded Fister and traded Porcello this past off season.

It appears that in 2016 our once top flight pitching staff will be... not good.

Good riddance! Now the Tigers will never win in the 2015 ALCS Championship.

It sucks, but the Tigers couldn't afford to bring on another potential albatross contract after already having JV and Miggy signed long terms in deals that will likely look bad [[JV's already does) by the end of it. I love Max's intensity and talent, but that is too much money at this point for the Tigers.

Additionally, Dombrowski has been pretty good at locating starting pitching over the years [[just look at how he got Fister, Sanchez, Scherzer, etc). I'm confident he'll keep a pretty good rotation. The bullpen, however...

By the way...credit to Scherzer. He bet on himself last offseason by rejecting the Tigers $144 million deal and won. Looks like he's landing a $180 million contract.

Max pitched great but his amazing won/loss record, 82-35, was deceptive as the Tigers gave him tons of support. 180 million for a guy who tires in the 7th? No thanks. Would love to see them sign Shields. If not they can go after someone at the deadline. There's a bumper crop of free agent pitchers at the end of this season and some will be available at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Would love to see them sign Shields.
    I'd like to see that too, but I doubt it will happen. DD seems content with what they have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I'd like to see that too, but I doubt it will happen. DD seems content with what they have right now.
    I don't know if I'd like that. I'd rather the Tigers go into the season with the starting rotation they have now and then, if necessary, find a guy at the trade deadline for the rest of the year. Hold onto the money for Shields to either a) sign Price to a long-term deal next offseason or b) find another high-level starter to replace Price.

Pitchers are way too fragile and have wildly different performances from year to year. Long term contracts for pitchers should be avoided like the plague.

RIP Don Kelly. The real casualty.

Because who can live on 180 million, Fox is now reporting the deal is for 210 million/7 yrs. to be paid as 15 mill/yr. for 14 yrs. This is already the best rotation in baseball. The Nats won 96 games last yr. so they'll get maybe one or two more wins if they're lucky.

Sure I would like to see him stay but not at that cost. As mentioned above he has been the beneficiary of run support, particularly in the 21-3 Cy Young season when he led the league in run support. Plus he has never pitched a complete game in his career.

The Tigers got great value for cost from him -- years for $28 million and 82 wins. Take the money and invest in the next Max Scherzer. And good luck to him and thanks for memories.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    By the way...credit to Scherzer. He bet on himself last offseason by rejecting the Tigers $144 million deal and won. Looks like he's landing a $180 million contract.
    Makes me wonder just how does a guy spend 180 million plus in a lifetime? Even with the tax bite. sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Makes me wonder just how does a guy spend 180 million plus in a lifetime? Even with the tax bite. sheesh.
    buy one of these after the 2nd year [[without squandering a lot of the first check of course)...

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/show_pi...n-mansion-.jpg

No mourning here. I'll give Max all the props for what he's done. He's earned himself a helluva pay day. Unfortunately it's not gonna be from Mike Ilitch's checkbook any more- but there was no way we were gonna spend what the Nats were willing to pay AND for seven years?

It got too rich for our blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    No mourning here. I'll give Max all the props for what he's done. He's earned himself a helluva pay day. Unfortunately it's not gonna be from Mike Ilitch's checkbook any more- but there was no way we were gonna spend what the Nats were willing to pay AND for seven years?

It got too rich for our blood.
    I agree. No way does Ilitch spend that kind of money. I'm shocked that the Nationals spent that kind of money.

so how much salary cap space does this clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Tigers paid him 15 million last year and 13 for the other four. What a deal. So I'm going to say it gives them 15. Of course they just did a one year for Price for 19. 5 more than last season.

The main starting contenders to replace Scherzer and Porcello are Alfredo Simon and Shane Greene, about 2-3 million total. Porcello was a trade for Cespedes, so that is pretty much a wash salary wise. I notice they picked up a veteran reliever Tom Gorzelanny who makes 2-3 mil. Great work if you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    There's no salary cap in baseball. It's the one damn sport where rich teams can still "buy" a championship.

And there wasn't any guarantee that the team was going to spend the same sort of money they did in 2014. What concerns me now is that Ilitch's window of opportunity to win the big one might have slammed shut and he ain't getting any younger. Our feeble farm system isn't helping to groom any up and comers either.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Max pitched great but his amazing won/loss record, 82-35, was deceptive as the Tigers gave him tons of support. 180 million for a guy who tires in the 7th? No thanks. Would love to see them sign Shields. If not they can go after someone at the deadline. There's a bumper crop of free agent pitchers at the end of this season and some will be available at the deadline.
    Shields isn't that great. His postseason record leaves a lot to be desired. I'd rather stick with what we have, and strengthen the bench. Tigers aren't a lock in the division this up coming season anyway as the White Sox have improved greatly, to go along with the Royals and Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I agree. No way does Ilitch spend that kind of money. I'm shocked that the Nationals spent that kind of money.
    They'll still be paying him way after he's in his wheelchair. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I thought he would get his money from someone but getting a contract longer than he has any shot of still playing surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    We're also guilty of that as well. We've also got Victor Martinez, Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander's contract hanging around our necks as well. Granted VMart's going to hopefully extend his career by being just the DH and when Miggy gets old and grey, he'll become the DH.

I've just never liked long term contracts for pitchers. They're just too damn delicate just by the sheer nature of the wear and tear on their arms. And Max Scherzer's got one of the more violent deliveries around. He's still going to be productive for maybe three or four more years, but unless he wants to suddenly become a screwball pitcher or just work out of the pen- his career as a starter just isn't going to be that long. As it was here, he'd barely last to the 8th inning.

As much as we all adore Verlander, we could see his game starting to lose a little zip last year already. Not saying he can't recoup some of it this year but that sheen of invulnerability's worn off a little bit. We can only blame so much on Kate Upton.

The Nationals got creative with financing. I'm pretty glad that the Tigers didn't fork over that kinda cash for an over 30 pitcher. It's gonna sting the first 2-3 years he's gone, but after that, I tihnk were gonna be happy we didn't give him that contract. It was the Prince Fielder scenario all over again.
    Now they can spread the wealth and go out and make some acquisitions that make more fiscal sense.

On a side note though. In the past Mike Illitch would have probably given the green light on a monster contract like that to chase that World Series ring he wants so badly. Anyone else thinking that maybe Mikey is slowly relinquishing control over to one of his sons and they are more into the financial aspect of running the team than the emotional? Just a thought...

Who cares ? They are way out of our league in salaries and benefits.

What kind of contract would DYes have been willing to give Denny McLain after his 30 win season in 1968? What kind of contract for Fydrich after his great season? That money would have been wasted in both cases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast