Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rediscovering My Dear Detroit

Quick personal Detroit history:
    Graduated Wilbur Wright 1956, enlisted Air Force, 1957.

Resided in Detroit from 1937-1957.

Yes, hit all the "big" places at the time-Eastwood Park, Jefferson Beach, Edgewater Park, Briggs Stadium, Belle Isle....

Which leads me to my first question..There was a utility building at entrance of Belle Isle bridge that had a huge stove on top that always caught my eye as a kid going over for a weekend swim...

is that stove still in existence someplace ?

Please don't tell me it was scrapped !

Have never been back since 1961 when discharged, and as MANY OTHERS - Headed to California hitching on with Flying Tiger Airlines-then North American where I went from mechanic to draftsman, and years later to retire from here at Boeing..

Some time ago have "returned" to Detroit via the net....

Ohhhh so SAD to see what has transpired !!!

Decided to join this web site, and hopefully perhaps bring something to the table in the coming days...

Hope you will accept me, poor grammer and all...

Sincerey,
    Oldtimer Mike

hello mike. looking forward to future posts. the garland stove burned down a few years ago.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit/piece-of-detroit-history-up-in-flames
    Last edited by Maof; January-23-15 at 07:45 PM.

As it looked on Sept. 11, 2008 - less than three years before its destruction:

Name:  Garland_Stove_9-11-2008.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  46.4 KB

Have you looked at Google Maps to see if your old house[[s) are still standing?

What are the chances the world's largest stove catches on fire due to a lightning strike... Only in Detroit this kind of luck could happen.

Oldtimer Mike.

I as at Wilbur Wright in '56, possibly we crossed paths. What curriculum were you in?

Welcome, OldTimerMike!!

A little background on the Garland Stove before the fire...
    http://www.michmarkers.com/startup.a...page=S0661.htm

http://detroithistorical.org/learn/e.../garland-stove

It didn't entirely burn. I saw a piece of it on display at the Detroit Historical Museum in the past couple of years.

Machine shop. beginning with heat treat which i hated !
    Favorite class was drafting..
    So sad to have seen all those dreadful pictures of WW prior to it's recent destruction...
    [[As with Tiger Stadium...It brought tears to my eyes as i spent many a game under center field 50 cent bleacher seats...and favorite pitcher was of course-Hal Newhouser..)
    Thank you for your reply-hope we can keep in touch !

Yes, and quite surprised they were still intact given all of those "Devil Night" fires in the past !
    And, that includes all the other neighborhood house....
    But, most all boarded up in terrible shape...so very sad, and of course-so THANKFUL I had departed back then..
    But thankful I had been there during the "vibrant" years...
    [[I get long winded here)...
    My family moved around quite a bit, so got to see a lot of the "working" Detroit, living just across from Packard plant, Highland Park Ford, and several job interviews at Dodge Main..
    And another home with Ford River Rouge plant in distant view...
    My heart breaks now looking at them now of course...
    [[I won't get into Tiger Stadium..
    Thank you for your reply...hope we can stay in touch, want to hear about your experience there..

Hello OLDTIMER Mike. I don't post very often but thought I'd say welcome.

I'm not an old timer, but one who has heard about the city from old timers such as yourself. They are the ones that give me hope that Detroit can be great again. No, it probably wont be anything like when you were in the city, but it can be reborn with a new and great identity all it's own. I live in NC now, but always say good things about the city and tell people all about the positives in the city. As you reintroduce yourself to the city keep an eye and ear open to all the redevelopment and positive energy. Detroit has a long way to go, but I truly believe it's coming back. My favorite project that is still going on is the rehab of the GAR. Check out gardetroit.org

Thank you for the reply, and that beautiful picture....
    Would have NEVER guessed Garland in a bi-zillion years...
    Now, will go through it's history from another reply...

Will do, and I appreciate your reply !

Meant to ask in my last reply, what curc were you in ?
    I just got a 56 year book [[surprised they are still available) and it was fun going through...
    Do you still have yours, and what were some of the teachers you had...
    OH, that day they installed juke box in lunch room !
    And, I think that little coffee shop on corner was lucy's, where all the "studs" hung out...Ha !

Quote Originally Posted by OLDTIMER MIKE View Post
    Will do, and I appreciate your reply !
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, OLDTIMER MIKE. That's just what we need. Welcome to the forum.

One suggestion: Try the "Reply With Quote" link in the lower right corner of the post to which you're replying. That would help folks better understand to whom you're replying. It avoids unnecessary misunderstandings.

Last edited by Jimaz; January-24-15 at 08:36 PM.

Welcome, OLDTIMER MIKE! It was perfectly clear to me who you were responding to. Keep it up!

I just got a 56 year book [[surprised they are still available) and it was fun going through...
    And, I think that little coffee shop on corner was lucy's, where all the "studs" hung out...Ha !
    Scroll to the bottom & enter Wilbur Wright in search forums for more comments about our school.
    I went there from 56 to 58 and have all three books if you need any information.

Default Wilbur Wright

OLDTIMER MIKE
    I was in the automotive. Misters' Walters, Peters Torres, Shmmelfening, all of the teachers were great. I don't remember a juke box. The store was Julies.

Welcome OLDTIMER MIKE! This is a fascinating board with knowledge that runs both broad and deep.

Quote Originally Posted by caldogven View Post
    OLDTIMER MIKE
    I was in the automotive. Misters' Walters, Peters Torres, Shmmelfening, all of the teachers were great. I don't remember a juke box. The store was Julies.
    Don't recognize those names-but sure we shared some of the elective teachers..
    Ahhhhh-Julies...thats what 59 years will do to a memory..
    Were you provided a job during your school time..[[2 weeks class, 2 weeks outside payed work) ?
    Fortunately, I was during senior year as a coil winder at a small shop on Hastings Ave..So nice bringing home a paycheck at a early age....
    Be nice to have schools like that today, or some kind of CCC for todays youth..
    On second thought, me thinks todays kids would not jump at the chance at getting off their duff to work unless pay with way over the top...WAY OVER THE TOP !
    [[What was I thinking ?)
    Surprised you don't recall juke box-IT WAS REALLY A BIG DEAL AT THE TIME, and favorite song was Davey Crockett because of the TV show at that time..
    Thank you for reply !