Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Urban coyotes

Default Urban coyotes

On NBC news tonight, they were reporting on coyotes living in cities like Chicago. I'm wondering if anyone has seen any in our city.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn.F View Post
    On NBC news tonight, they were reporting on coyotes living in cities like Chicago. I'm wondering if anyone has seen any in our city.
    They've been popping up lately in Trenton.

This guy showed up, dead, in the parking lot outside my studio at about noon on a Sunday back in April. Cass Corridor.

There was a brief attempt [[not by me) to find someone to taxidermy it, so it got shoveled into a box, and then dumped out of a box, which is why the posture is so unnatural. It appeared to have been shot, or hit by a car and then limped its way over to the middle of the parking lot.

I've also seen a couple of foxes [[alive.)

Name:  coyote.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  70.6 KB

There are coyotes in San Francisco. A number of the parks have signs warning people who are walking their dogs.

I've seen dead coyotes on the side of I-94 near the airport. So they are in the area.

I haven't ever seen any types of animals like that in Chicago but it wouldn't surprise me if there was I'm assuming if there are that they are roaming around the industrial areas on the far Southside or some of the ghettohoods on the Southside and Westside possibly but I haven't ever seen any myself.

We have coyotes here in Vancouver. They seem to prefer the most wealthy neighbourhoods.

This story's a few years old but it's informative: Coyotes make themselves at home in Michigan cities.

They were a good bit of sightings of them when I worked in Westland around the Mich Ave-Merriman area. We figured they liked being around the Rouge River as that's where we often saw them.

We have some up in Grosse Pointe--supposedly they had a burrow somewhere in the country club. I saw one when I was out on a walk at night last winter on Grosse Pointe Blvd. Not wearing my glasses, I thought it was just a German Shepard walking off leash, but when I got closer and he was still just staring at me I realized what it was. I was glad I did not have my moron dog with me because she totally would have gotten into a fight.

We also have foxes. They are freaking adorable. I see them at Pier Park sometimes when the kids are ice skating at night.

Common around my home in suburban Las Vegas [[Henderson). Also bobcats. Surprisingly, after 30 years here in the desert, I've yet to find a rattlesnake or scorpion. Which is just fine with me.

I was walking my dogs at the park at 13 and Dequinder across from red oaks water park, was scared to death was following my dogs and I, got to the parking ;lot and a sherriffs deptuy was there itold him a coyot was behingd me, he started laughing, then it crossed in front of his car, there are also red foxes at this park, but they dont come after you

I saw one on the street at Klenk and Alter one morning. Shocked the hell outta me.

At least I think it was a coyote....

http://nighttraintodetroit.com/2011/...-le-loup-garou

I will say, I'm not a fan of this urban coyote movement. I have had enough issues with urban dogs.

Wasn't there something about people seeing bears before?

I have seen two in the selfridge airforce base area but to the hunters in Oakland and St Clair county they know all to well they are out there if you wound a deer and it gets away for a few hours by the time they find them the coyotes have eating a good junk of it. I watched a special on PBS on urban Coyotes and they say there main highway for getting around is following railroad tracks

I've never seen them in Detroit, but obviously they're fairly common out here in the exburbs. I'm in Milford and their population seems to rise and fall quite a bit over the years. The last year or two I only see 1 or 2 per month, but there have been years when I'd see them multiple times per week. Nowadays I will often give them a free pass, but when I had chickens and dogs any coyote that wandered through the yard slow enough was taken care of. I vividly remember paying the multiple vet bills when my Weimaraner would tangle with one. Her ears were pretty scarred up over the years and we almost had to have one amputated as they would not heal very well.

We keep seeing this one in my neighborhood. He's been spotted with anvils and ropes and stuff up in trees and @ the edge of the block where the cliff is. No one's quite sure what he's up to.

Name:  Will E. Coyote.png
Views: 1454
Size:  59.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    We keep seeing this one in my neighborhood. He's been spotted with anvils and ropes and stuff up in trees and @ the edge of the block where the cliff is. No one's quite sure what he's up to.

Name:  Will E. Coyote.png
Views: 1454
Size:  59.8 KB

I think he recently retired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54d21XS_GbQ

Coyetes just follow the food chain. In this case rabbits. Having retired from my own landscape company, saw them a lot, but mostly along the lake shore.

I have seen them in the early morning hrs along Hines drive in the Dearborn Hgts area. One crossed the road in front of me carrying a small critter in it's mouth. Also read in the Observer a few years back that coyotes attacked a Poodle in that area.

I've had coyotes in my backyard. I live near John R and Auburn [[21 Mile).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I've never seen them in Detroit, but obviously they're fairly common out here in the exburbs. I'm in Milford and their population seems to rise and fall quite a bit over the years. The last year or two I only see 1 or 2 per month, but there have been years when I'd see them multiple times per week. Nowadays I will often give them a free pass, but when I had chickens and dogs any coyote that wandered through the yard slow enough was taken care of. I vividly remember paying the multiple vet bills when my Weimaraner would tangle with one. Her ears were pretty scarred up over the years and we almost had to have one amputated as they would not heal very well.
    Now that you mention it, my friend out in Farmington Hills, experienced her dog getting attacked by a coyote just this past November.

I've seen a number of coyotes in Lola Valley Park in Redford.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4088608,-83.2988049,16z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast