Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Electrifying Mojo - Looking for Playlists

I am assisting some bona fide scholars doing a Detroit musical scene study. They are trying to find some The Electrifying Mojo play lists from the Midnight Funk Association days.

They would also like to meet with him or know of his whereabouts. Any assistance would be appreciated.

As to be expected they are acquainted with his wiki and real name.

"When you're end the end of your rope - tie a knot. Hang on!"

Thanks.

For reference from previous Discussion:
    Midnight Funk Association
    Great Article I Found About The History Of Black Radio In Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I am assisting some bona fide scholars doing a Detroit musical scene study. They are trying to find some The Electrifying Mojo play lists from the Midnight Funk Association days.

They would also like to meet with him or know of his whereabouts. Any assistance would be appreciated.

As to be expected they are acquainted with his wiki and real name.

"When you're end the end of your rope - tie a knot. Hang on!"

Thanks.

For reference from previous Discussion:
    Midnight Funk Association
    Great Article I Found About The History Of Black Radio In Detroit
    Hi Lowell - there is an "Electrifyin' Mojo [[Midnight Funk Association)" page on Facebook. You might want to make your query there, as well.

Happy New Year

"ain't nobody bad like you!"

That was some great music times! He was one of the first to play song groupings for long periods commercial free!

Great wide-range variety show. Got turned on to Vinx, among others, through Mojo.

I just remember how he'd play things all across the map. If he liked it and it seemed proper he'd go into it. He also broke in a lot of underground acts that none of us would've ever heard on top 40 radio either.

I remember hearing things like Kraftwerk, the B-52's, and they'd be scattered amongst a Prince B-side cut that no one would dare play. He'd bust out Devo between a Pink Floyd ethereal song and a Michael Jackson mix too.

Mojo was great in the sense he didn't just play urban music. He'd play all sorts of things. He was free form and he worked at his craft. He would set a stage and play whatever flowed from one song to another. He was one of the few guys on commercial radio that I thought listeners would follow if he jumped from one station to another. He had a following. I loved the fact that he was knowledgeable about his music and he didn't give an eff if he was playing music of different genres or if they were done by black or white musicians. He just put on a helluva show that captivated a ton of us.

Even today, when my sister and I are talking, if one of us says "damn", the other says "don't say damn, say whoa".

Don't know about playlists, but there are several recorded Midnight Funk Association intros, with a few songs included, on YouTube.

It is worth reading "[[Pages from the) Mental Machine" by the Electrifying Mojo, if one doesn't mind any of the [[much needed) Ecclesiastical and Inspirational portions.