Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Did you get MLK day off ?

Excluding the big 3 and government workers did anyone else get a vacation day today ? I did not see one shop in my area closed today

Our company in the information/publishing sector is closed today.

Bankers holiday, business as usual tomorrow. Went to the movies this afternoon.

I work for a private company downtown, and we had the day off.

In Arizona our employer gave us one floating holiday a year to use whenever we wanted. It's a very practical idea in a large, diverse company.

I always took my "floater" on MLK Day just to thumb my nose at Governor Evan Mecham. That guy was such a total embarrassment on so many levels.
    Upon conviction, Mecham was removed from office....
    Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-19-15 at 07:14 PM.

At 76 years old, every day is a day off!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    In Arizona our employer gave us one floating holiday a year to use whenever we wanted. It's a very practical idea in a large, diverse company.
    I never really understand the difference between a floating holiday and a vacation today. I think it's silly to have these different pools.

My employer gives multiple floating holidays, as well as a good amount of vacation. The vacation accumulates up to a certain maximum, the floating holidays are use-them-or-lose-them within the calendar year.

nope........

Wall St closed - can't buy/sell/trade.....

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I never really understand the difference between a floating holiday and a vacation today. I think it's silly to have these different pools.
    Our company has the same policy. Basically we get 12 paid holidays [[which includes the floating holidays). This year we get 10 paid holidays and 2 floating holidays. Some years it is 9 paid holidays [[depending on when certain holidays fall) and 3 floating holidays. With such a diverse workforce, the floating holiday comes in handy for those who want to take days off for religious observances, e.g., Good Friday, Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, or their birthday [[a holiday in my book!). I usually take my floating holidays to add a day to my vacation or sometimes to just take a day off in the middle of a long stretch without any holidays or vacation. So this approach definitely works for me.

I think most schools had the day off also.

Default Exclusive: Newly Discovered 1964 MLK Speech on Civil Rights, Segregation & Apartheid

Total duration 59 minutes:
    In a Democracy Now! and Pacifica Radio Archives exclusive, we air a newly discovered recording of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. On December 7, 1964, days before he received the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, King gave a major address in London on segregation, the fight for civil rights and his support for Nelson Mandela and the anti-apartheid struggle in South Africa. The speech was recorded by Saul Bernstein, who was working as the European correspondent for Pacifica Radio. Bernstein’s recording was recently discovered by Brian DeShazor, director of the Pacifica Radio Archives.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-19-15 at 11:48 PM.

Did enough work in the morning to catch up with stuff that happened over the weekend, and then had a good long day off. Did some computer maintenance, made crockpot chili for the week, listened to some old Louis Armstrong records, went to get a corned beef sandwich, saw a movie, came home to look at the picture of my very young self and my father in the 1963 March to Freedom with Martin Luther King Jr. and thought about moral courage, and its rareness in this world.

My gal gets the day off, so we've developed a tradition of going up north for the weekend.

Up north is SO much better when the goodness isn't destroyed by traffic on the drive home.

Back in the late 1970s working for an S&L, we loved the month of February. We always had Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday off- the actual days, not a Monday.

Some years back, I read a pitch for "calendar reform" in which every quarter had a 31 day month and two 30 day months. At the end of the year was "Year Day" which wasn't a Sun-Sat, wasn't in a month, and didn't have a number. In other words, calendar days would fall on the same day of the week year in and year out and the thing was jiggered so that traditional holidays would alsways have a three day weekend. For leap years, you added a "World Day" between the end of June and the beginning of July. World Day was also not in a month or a week. Year Day and World Day would always be holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    Excluding the big 3 and goverment workers did anyone else get a vacation day today ? I did not see one shop in my area closed today
    I'm with dday, non union shop workers missed out on alot of holidays including combat veterans that had to work on veterans day!!!!
    Also spent my fair share of Christmas eve's working to finish production quotas. All as we lost more benefits every year.
    Sad times indeed.

Work day for me. Instead of taking holidays like MLK or Columbus day, the holidays are added around Christmas and 4th of July to give us a longer holiday weekend. I think most of us prefer it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WKL View Post
    Work day for me. Instead of taking holidays like MLK or Columbus day, the holidays are added around Christmas and 4th of July to give us a longer holiday weekend. I think most of us prefer it that way.
    I don't mind having MLK & Columbus day because no one else in my family has those days off, so I get a day all to myself on them. Columbus is always a good day to start Christmmas shopping.

My law firm was closed...did some work at home.

All in favor of more strictly observing this holiday while letting Columbus Day fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    My law firm was closed...did some work at home.

All in favor of more strictly observing this holiday while letting Columbus Day fade away.
    I also get MLK Day off.

In response to this, I would be in favor of re-naming Columbus Day "Native American Remembrance and Celebration Day" and make that a federal holiday. Remember the treatment we did to our native peoples and celebrate their history, traditions, customs, and contributions to American society.

Default Who speaks for MLK today??

He would weep if he could see what hateful destruction is being done in his name now. Looking around the world today, it’s hard to find something to celebrate about.
    Name:  MLK.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  38.0 KB

Yes I was off yesterday. I work in a hospital where we choose 15 holiday's [[from a very long list some of which I have never heard of) per year.

No, but I work in the service industry. Work all holidays, all hours.