Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Official Page of Detroit Skyscrapers Rehab/New Construction Development!

Detroit is seeing some momentum in development throughout the city, mostly in Downtown and Midtown. I wanted to make an official page for new and/or rehab skyscrapers, either planned/concept or soon-to-be constructed. I'm excited about Detroit's future and looking forward to seeing some minor changes in the skyline, hopefully dynamic and out the box designs.

I believe we need a diverse approach in the style of architecture planned here in Detroit, it'll make the environment less boring. We have a huge list of developments planned between 2015-18. Detroit will not look the same in the year 2020, no telling what other new developments comes along by that time. Only time can tell. Density should be key, I'm hoping for more infill midsize development also and a few new skyscrapers once our other vacant skyscrapers get rehabbed.

I've seen or heard of a few new 15-30 story skyscrapers planned in Downtown Detroit, including in the new "District" Red Wings Arena development. I'm looking forward to seeing the planned two towers and retail on the Hudson Site. Here's other plans for the D', if I miss some post it.

1. Monroe site - [[currently a surface parking in Campus Martius) [[No plans yet) [[Possible 25-50 story skyscraper is ideal)

2. Statler site - [[planned for residential, small 10 story building) [[deserves to be 15-30 story for such important site)

3. Future Adam Theater site - [[residential/office) nothing planned yet. [[possible 15-30 story building)

4. Former Bates Garage site - [[planned residential and retail) [[20-30 story skyscraper)

5. Former Ford Auditorium site - [[hotel planned, possible residential) [[30+ story skyscraper)

6. Soon-to-be former Joe Louis Arena site - [[planned 30+ story skyscraper hotel)

7. Capitol Park former strip club site - [[new construction, residential tower) [[10-15 story building)

8. Little Caesar Pizza new headquarters - [[10 story building next to Fox Theater)

9. The "District" - [[Newly constructed residential and hotel) [[10-15 story buildings in Midtown) [[Multiple location)

10. Henry Ford Hospital "South Health Park" - [[The south campus project includes ambulatory care, research and education; the north side we are planning a new ER, bed tower and potential expansion of our cancer center project.”

If I've missed any, list them. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Detroit, hopefully spreads into the neighborhoods and beyond. Also post pictures or examples of what type of development or styles of architecture will best fit here. Renderings are welcome!

http://cplinc.com/work/projects/nolo-stadium-place/#

http://www.thewaveseattle.com/

The wave apartments Seattle. 28 Floors something like this in the D would be pretty sweet. The Fitith condos in Royal Oak used a very similar construction technique, they are 18 stories with floor to ceiling glass, enclosed balconies and are stunning on the inside.

http://www.loftlivingroyaloak.com/lo...gan/the-fifth/
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-18-15 at 11:24 PM.

I think for a building to be an official skyscraper it has to be something where you can't get to the roof with a good extension latter.

If Detroit were ever to build a new signature tower to be taller than the Ren Cen, I think something with a spire/crown would be the best way to go.

http://www.wilshiregrandcenter.com/

Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    If Detroit were ever to build a new signature tower to be taller than the Ren Cen, I think something with a spire/crown would be the best way to go.

http://www.wilshiregrandcenter.com/
    I agree, I love it! This type of development can fit well on the Monroe Block.

Cleveland - nuCLEus - 657 ft. - proposed [[would be a new 4th tallest for cleveland)

thread link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214134

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=73539

Here's Seattle's future plans, I like some of them. Some will fit well in our skyline. Will love to see the Book Tower renovated soon, nothing will top that.

http://www.weberthompson.com/projects/323

I like Seattles plans as well. 2030 8th would have everything on my list. I really like the enclosed balconies on this one and the floor plans are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    5. Former Ford Auditorium site - [[hotel planned, possible residential) [[30+ story skyscraper)
    Do you have a link for this one? I tried doing a search, but maybe I missed it.

If it's go high or go home this one is going to be special for sure.

http://www.one57.com/#!

My dream scenario would be a 30-40 floor tower on the Tuller Hotel site integrated with a restored United Artist Building and theater. I also agree that something taller and more grandiose should be built on the Statler footprint. Unfortunately we are still in the take-what-we-can-get era.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Do you have a link for this one? I tried doing a search, but maybe I missed it.
    I'm not sure where I heard that information, but I believe it was one of the creditors from the bankruptcy deal. If I find a link I will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I'm not sure where I heard that information, but I believe it was one of the creditors from the bankruptcy deal. If I find a link I will post it.
    You're mixing up Ford Auditorium with the JLA.

i know im going to get some jabs for this, but just making an observation...and correct me if im wrong, but has anyone felt that the projects that have been proposed for detroit [[even rehabbed buildings or add-on projects to existing buildings) don't really possess a "wow" factor like many proposed projects you see in cities like chicago or miami. downtown miami is going through a MAJOR turn-around [[google Miami WorldCenter and Brickell CityCentre). I know money has alot to do with that "wow" factor, but its like come on detroit planners. is it that detroit has a really really strict guideline on what it will allow to be built, which is what makes the proposals so bland?...compared to other cities? Heck, even the proposed 657 ft tower to be built in Cleveland looks "wow" compared to anything being proposed in detroit. sorry for the rant. let the attacking begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp213 View Post
    i know im going to get some jabs for this, but just making an observation...and correct me if im wrong, but has anyone felt that the projects that have been proposed for detroit [[even rehabbed buildings or add-on projects to existing buildings) don't really possess a "wow" factor like many proposed projects you see in cities like chicago or miami. downtown miami is going through a MAJOR turn-around [[google Miami WorldCenter and Brickell CityCentre). I know money has alot to do with that "wow" factor, but its like come on detroit planners. is it that detroit has a really really strict guideline on what it will allow to be built, which is what makes the proposals so bland?...compared to other cities? Heck, even the proposed 657 ft tower to be built in Cleveland looks "wow" compared to anything being proposed in detroit. sorry for the rant. let the attacking begin.
    You make a good point actually.

And the answer is simple. Detroit's not Chicago or Miami.

While Chicago and Miami are growing and major tourist destinations with diverse economies, Detroit who's still dependent on the extremely cyclical auto industry just exited a bankruptcy proceeding and continues to bleed people. It's still questionable that there's even an actual comeback occurring.

It doesn't have a lot do with it, it has everything do with it. Cleveland is at least 5-10 years ahead of Detroit in terms of it's redevelopment to say nothing of cities like Chicago or Miami.

I feel like Detroit has pretty much owned rehabbing old towers over the past 5 years. What other city has done this to the scale that Detroit has?

As for new construction, I think the plan that they were floating for the Hudson's footprint a couple years ago was pretty interesting, but the others have been underwhelming [[like Meridian's plans for Campus Martius before it was scrapped). And if they actually go through with the plans to redo the Packard Plant that would be unparalleled in the entire country.
    Last edited by iheartthed; January-19-15 at 05:17 PM.

So is the idea to create a working list of all the development going on in Greater Downtown?
    Here’s a list off the top of my head:

Under Construction
    1. Olde Building Renovation
    2. Security Trust Lofts Renovation
    3. Former United Way Building Renovation
    4. Capitol Park Building Renovation
    5. Smaller Capital Park Renovations
    6. 1505 Woodward
    7. Cary Building
    8. Briggs House [[Former Park Apartments)
    9. The Ashley [[is it finished now?)
    10. The DAC putting something on its roof.
    11. Medical building just north of Whole Foods.
    12. El Moore renovation.
    13. Strathmore renovation.
    14. Cass Plaza renovation.
    15. Wayne State Research Building.

Announced
    1. New Hockey Arena
    2. New Little Caesar’s HQ
    3. New Buildings along Woodward in front of Comerica
    4. New building fronting Grand Circus between Adams and Madison
    5. Other arena district development?
    6. Statler City Apartments
    7. The Griswold [[apartments on top of Book Cadillac parking garage)
    8. Hotel/apartment at Cass and Canfield
    9. Tiger Stadium redevelopment
    10. Gabriel Richard Building into apartments
    11. Former Wayne County Office Building at Clifford and Bagley into apartments
    12. Former Fire HQ into hotel

On Gilbert’s To Do List
    1. Vinton Building
    2. Parking garage/residential/retail at Monroe and Randolph.
    3. Hudson’s site
    4. East side of Broadway across from Punch Bowl Social
    5. Various buildings on Woodward.
    6. East side of Griswold between Grand River and Clifford

Rumored/Announced with Very Little Detail
    1. Joe Louis arena redevelopment [[hotel/residential)
    2. State Savings Bank/Car Museum
    3. New parking garage for Penobscot tenants
    4. Wurlitzer Building
    5. Metropolitan Building

Hoped For
    1. Book Tower
    2. Monroe Block
    3. UA Building
    4. Detroit Life Building
    5. Park Avenue Building
    6. Additional Corktown infill
    7. Tuller site
    8. Free Press Building
    9. A better landlord for the Stott Building
    10. A better landlord for the Penobscot Building

What did I miss?

Generally the more attractive the architecture looks can be a sign of how lucrative the local real estate market is. Manhattan has one of the strictest regulations on what can be built, but they still manage some pretty high profile projects. So 99% does have to do with money and how much it costs relative to how much people will actually pay.

That 657 foot tower in Cleveland will eventually cost $300 million dollars to build. The last time Detroit built something that costed over $300 million [[$412 million when adjust for 2014 inflation) was Compuware's HQ. Of course, one of the main reasons that Compuware is half the height of Cleveland's tower is because it's wider than it is tall. If Compuware was 30 stories but had the same footprint, it would have cost twice as much to build. But I'm pretty sure even then, Compuware wasn't a company capable of supporting something that expensive.

Either Detroit needs a lot of wealthy folks to want to move downtown or a very large and profitable corporation wants to move in before anything has any amount of "wow" factor to it.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Generally the more attractive the architecture looks can be a sign of how lucrative the local real estate market is. Manhattan has one of the strictest regulations on what can be built, but they still manage some pretty high profile projects. So 99% does have to do with money and how much it costs relative to how much people will actually pay.

That 657 foot tower in Cleveland will eventually cost $300 million dollars to build. The last time Detroit built something that costed over $300 million [[$412 million when adjust for 2014 inflation) was Compuware's HQ. Of course, one of the main reasons that Compuware is half the height of Cleveland's tower is because it's wider than it is tall. If Compuware was 30 stories but had the same footprint, it would have cost twice as much to build. But I'm pretty sure even then,
    Compuware wasn't a company capable of supporting something that expensive.

Either Detroit needs a lot of wealthy folks to want to move downtown or a very large and profitable corporation wants to move in before anything has any amount of "wow" factor to it.
    Time will tell. Developers from anywhere including other countries develop based on market conditions, demand, cost etc. I can assure you that none of those developers build with cash, they sell the plan to the commercial loan guys and they finance based on risk, return, track record of developer etc. I will venture to guess that if we had stood in grand circus park a few short years ago and someone would have said that those big empty buildings on the edge of the park on both sides of woodward would be completely renovated and occupied we both would have said "wow".

First let me say that I'm 100% pro-Detroit and pro-development. And I applaud the enthusiasm of Dyes posters. However, I feel that many who post here obsess about skyscrapers. Sorry to throw a bucket of cold water, but skyscrapers are not needed in Detroit at this time. What we need is low-rise mixed use infill buildings to cover the many vacant parcels in and around downtown. This is especially needed in the parking desert west of Woodward and north of GCP. Once we achieve that, and if there's still demand for new office/residential space, then and only then should building new skyscrapers be on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I feel like Detroit has pretty much owned rehabbing old towers over the past 5 years. What other city has done this to the scale that Detroit has?
    No other city had completely abandoned "old towers" like Detroit does/did...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    First let me say that I'm 100% pro-Detroit and pro-development. And I applaud the enthusiasm of Dyes posters. However, I feel that many who post here obsess about skyscrapers. Sorry to throw a bucket of cold water, but skyscrapers are not needed in Detroit at this time. What we need is low-rise mixed use infill buildings to cover the many vacant parcels in and around downtown. This is especially needed in the parking desert west of Woodward and north of GCP. Once we achieve that, and if there's still demand for new office/residential space, then and only then should building new skyscrapers be on the table.
    I agree, if you gave me a hundred floors I would split it up into five to eight buildings in a heartbeat. I think we are just having a little fun and sharing some architecture. You have to crawl before you can walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I agree, if you gave me a hundred floors I would split it up into five to eight buildings in a heartbeat. I think we are just having a little fun and sharing some architecture. You have to crawl before you can walk.

Yes, and dreaming and planning are ways to become acquainted with the plusses and minusses of particular projects. I think if a project like Ren Cen were proposed today, there would be more checks and balances, but I also hope that people would be more vocal about what is important for the city, not just the owners and tenants of important buildings.

I am pretty enthusistic about new developments, but I think there has never been a more propitious time for detroiters to be demanding. People should have a say in how the city develops, and this doesnt mean we have to be in a Nimby Vs Mogul mode at all times. A bit of intake from various interested parties can help the city along.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast