Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    MAcc Guest

Default Controversy over male on female assault at Grosse Pointe North [[video)

Are we witnessing the fall of what was once the state's most elite public school system? Not good for the region.

Top 10 Michigan schools Avg. ACT score [[2014)
    1. International Academy [[Bloomfield Hills) 29.2
    2. Washtenaw International High School 27.3
    3. International Academy of Macomb 26.8
    4. City Middle/High School [[Grand Rapids) 26.4
    5. Community High School [[Ann Arbor) 25.4
    6. Northville High School 25.1
    7. Birmingham Seaholm High School 25
    8. Troy High School 25
    9. Rochester Adams High School 24.8
    10. Okemos High School 24.8
    Grosse Pointe South 23.8
    Grosse Pointe North 22

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27...-pointe-school
    Last edited by MAcc; January-18-15 at 03:37 PM.

I'll repost my comment from a recent topic:

Let's face it: Grosse Pointe North is one gun or gang incident away from being the next Ferndale Public Schools.

Metro Detroit's east side is suffering from serious racial tensions. I should know because I lived there for awhile and experienced it firsthand. Still, IMO, that video is much ado about nothing. That behavior that should be punished, but the news is clearly trying to stoke the flames here.

Living by 14 Mile and attending Warren Con, I was bullied and attacked a few times. That's just how school is. Even at 40 Mile there are bullies, believe it or not.

Oh brother, what drama! I was expecting some bloody, ass beat-to-a-pulp video. I saw much, much worse, several times a year when I went there decades ago. Sounds like racist parents trying to stir up some shit.

Why are Detroit boosters so anti-Grosse Pointe? I will never get it. They don't realize that Grosse Pointe's desirability is directly tied to Detroit's desirability, and any "slippage" in the Pointes relative to the Northvilles and Bloomfields of the world is an implicit referendum on the relative [[lack of) desirability of Detroit?

The Pointes are the canary in the coal mine. You cannot have a healthy downtown without healthy areas in proximity. If people are paying more to live in McSprawlsville Township, with none of the charm of the Pointes, then that's a referendum on the region's core.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why are Detroit boosters so anti-Grosse Pointe?
    Because the modus operandi here is badmouthing your neighbors to make yourself look better. Goes both ways - city to suburb and suburb to city. If one area is getting better than the another area must be getting worse. It's the same old stupid zero sum game, us vs. them mentality that makes for good populist politicking but makes the whole region worse off.

Schadenfreude uber alles!

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I'll repost my comment from a recent topic:

Let's face it: Grosse Pointe North is one gun or gang incident away from being the next Ferndale Public Schools.
    That's like saying you're one fatal car accident away from being just like the other 500 people who died in car wrecks last year.

There were troublemakers when I went to school. People who were there to learn just stayed away from them and did fine. We had bullies too, but there weren't "task forces" about it back then. You learned to avoid trouble, or got caught up in it.

MAcc Guest

Why are Detroit boosters so anti-Grosse Pointe? I will never get it. They don't realize that Grosse Pointe's desirability is directly tied to Detroit's desirability, and any "slippage" in the Pointes relative to the Northvilles and Bloomfields of the world is an implicit referendum on the relative [[lack of) desirability of Detroit?

The Pointes are the canary in the coal mine. You cannot have a healthy downtown without healthy areas in proximity. If people are paying more to live in McSprawlsville Township, with none of the charm of the Pointes, then that's a referendum on the region's core.
    I am not anti-GP, to the contrary, actually. I recognize it as an asset. I also recall growing up that it, along with Bloomfield Hills, were the most elite districts in the state. That is no longer the case. A school district in despair typically spells doom for the town. I can't think of any town that recovers from an influx of low-income trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    I am not anti-GP, to the contrary, actually. I recognize it as an asset. I also recall growing up that it, along with Bloomfield Hills, were the most elite districts in the state. That is no longer the case. A school district in despair typically spells doom for the town. I can't think of any town that recovers from an influx of low-income trouble.
    If the GP school district would disassociate itself from the Harper Woods portion of the district you would see a marked improvement in the test scores and the rankings district-wide. People are too afraid to say that publicly because the truth is not always politically correct. But the truth is the truth. People need to stop being so afraid of the loudmouth liberal PC agenda and do what is right for their own community.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; January-18-15 at 03:52 PM.

Oh my God, my town is doomed because of a dozen low lifes at the high school. Doesn't get any better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    If the GP school district would disassociate itself from the Harper Woods portion of the district you would see a marked improvement in the test scores and the rankings district-wide. People are too afraid to say that publicly because the truth is not always politically correct. But the truth is the truth. People need to stop being so afraid of the loudmouth liberal PC agenda and do what is right for their own community.

Let's get rid of the ghettoes altogether, and start looking out for the good of our greater community. Ghettoes are man-made and need to be broken by folks on either side of our fences, let's do that. Liberal PC agenda or Conservative induced paranoïa, which is better really?

Der oylem iz a goylen, Oy veh!

I seen it coming folks. Troubled black folks and their broken [[single families with no man present) coming to Richville Schools! According to Schooldigger.com There has been a influx of black students coming to attend Grosse Pointe North High School. Most of them had been attending Harper Woods elementary and Middle School. Not sure the Harper Woods High School is there since its was demolished and replaced by a new middle school.

When black folks [[mostly from Detroit) move in to Harper Woods by the thousands, its public school system went from 90% white in 1990 to 87% black in 2014. Poupard Elementary [[ which its part of Grosse Pointe Public Schools) is over 67% black students. Grosse Pointe North High School black student population stands at 26%. By 2020 it accelerate to 60%. As long as more black students attend Harper Woods Public Schools, trouble starts! Just like they did in Detroit Public Schools from the 1950s to the 1990s. Grosse Pointe South High will be next in 25 years. Race is going to be blame everywhere in America. Instead of dealing about it and blame each other on color. It's horrible and it's fused in human nature for generations. It's all part of history.

What would happen if more poor black folks enrolled to Unversity Liggett School?
    Last edited by Danny; January-18-15 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Oh my God, my town is doomed because of a dozen low lifes at the high school. Doesn't get any better than this.

Wait until shooting starts at Grosse Pointe North High School. Even some students who affiliated with the E. 7 Mile Bloods do their G-checking there.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Wait until shooting starts at Grosse Pointe North High School. Even some students who affiliated with the E. 7 Mile Bloods do their G-checking there.
    I'm not in high school anymore and neither are my kids. I have no clue what goes on there. But it doesn't "doom" the town.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    I'm not in high school anymore and neither are my kids. I have no clue what goes on there. But it doesn't "doom" the town.
    Keep telling yourself that while you count the for sale signs going up.

Poor Richville! having to deal a ghetto next door.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Keep telling yourself that while you count the for sale signs going up.
    None on my block. You need a new cause. Fix your own city perhaps?

I didn't think so.

Danny's actually right. Looking at the Schooldigger data, at least one of the feeder elementary schools to GP North is 70%+ black, and was essentially 100% white less than 20 years ago.

I knew there was some ethnic transition going on, but that's full-on white flight. But, at the same time, I don't think this is district-wide, but probably moreso the Harper Woods/GP Woods areas.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MI/sc...29/school.aspx

Danny's actually right. Looking at the Schooldigger data, at least one of the feeder elementary schools to GP North is 70%+ black, and was essentially 100% white less than 20 years ago.

I knew there was some ethnic transition going on, but that's full-on white flight. But, at the same time, I don't think this is district-wide, but probably moreso the Harper Woods/GP Woods areas.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MI/sc...29/school.aspx
    Right about what? I can hardly follow what he writes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler
    There were troublemakers when I went to school. People who were there to learn just stayed away from them and did fine. We had bullies too, but there weren't "task forces" about it back then. You learned to avoid trouble, or got caught up in it.

Rational thinking goes out the window when white parents see too many black kids at the local school. You know it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982
    Why are Detroit boosters so anti-Grosse Pointe?

I'm not anti-Grosse Pointe. I'm just disgusted with the so-called "decline" of the east side suburbs. The whites are in flight again. When does it ever end?

Only the northern part of Harper Woods sends kids to Grosse Pointe North. Most of Harper Woods feeds into its own school district and high school. And Harper Woods is pretty different from the Grosse Pointe comunities in terms of housing stock, socio-economic history, services, etc. It's really more like nearby Macomb County communities, like East Detroit [[ahem, Eastpointe) than like the Grosse Pointes. And it has a concentration of rental complexes around the Eastland area.

I really don't see any signs of decay at all in GP, GP Farms, most of GP Woods and GP Park. Kercheval is reasonably healthy, even with the changes that are impacting small retail commercial strips everywhere, as is Mack from Moross north. My cousins' kids go to GP North, GP South, and other GP public schools, and all are quite happy with them. Like pretty much everywhere around here, the housing market is a bit sluggish, but the GP Woods house of a recently deceased cousin of mine sold pretty well last year. I'm not entirely sure why all the panic here. A lot of it seems like shit-stirring for shit-stirring's sake.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-18-15 at 10:35 PM.

MAcc Guest

Rational thinking goes out the window when white parents see too many black kids at the local school. You know it's true.

I'm not anti-Grosse Pointe. I'm just disgusted with the so-called "decline" of the east side suburbs. The whites are in flight again. When does it ever end?[/COLOR]
    In 2015 I really don't think many college-educated people flee a race -- people flee alarming data. Data shows GP schools, especially North High and its feeders, have been in decline. I don't know why you used air quotes around "decline," the decline is very real and verifiable. Nobody pays top dollar for a home, expensive upkeep on an old house, and high taxes for shitty public schools. Further, nobody wants to be the one that holds on too long, and then lose their ass. A $50K-$200K swing on a home wipes out the kids' college fund or a large chunk of retirement.

White flight makes the trend too racially charged. Brain drain is the more acceptable and accurate term for what happens. College educated, two parent homes [[any race) make an elite school district. When you get an influx of single parents, lower income, some college, renters not buyers, it's troublesome.
    Last edited by MAcc; January-18-15 at 10:33 PM.

In 2015 I really don't think many college-educated people flee a race -- people flee alarming data. Data shows GP schools, especially North High and its feeders, have been in decline. I don't know why you used air quotes around "decline," the decline is very real and verifiable. Nobody pays top dollar for a home, expensive upkeep on an old house, and high taxes for shitty public schools. Further, nobody wants to be the one that holds on too long, and then lose their ass. A $50K-$200K swing on a home wipes out the kids' college fund or a large chunk of retirement.

White flight makes the trend too racially charged. Brain drain is the more acceptable and accurate term for what happens. College educated, two parent homes [[any race) make an elite school district. When you get an influx of single parents, lower income, some college, renters not buyers, it's troublesome.
    Is there another word for troublesome that would make this point more palatable to our constituents, lah-dee-dah...?

I especially like the renters not buyers part. My that is really scary. What is the world coming to?

But methinks single parents are next in line to satanists. There is probably a statistic somewhere for that too.

Still, IMO, that video is much ado about nothing. That behavior that should be punished, but the news is clearly trying to stoke the flames here.

Living by 14 Mile and attending Warren Con, I was bullied and attacked a few times. That's just how school is. Even at 40 Mile there are bullies, believe it or not.

Answer honestly: If it were a black female student getting assaulted by a white male student in Bloomfield Hills while other white students cheered and filmed, would your reaction and indeed the reaction of others in this thread be the same? Again, please be honest. And if the answer is "no", then why not?
    Last edited by aj3647; January-19-15 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I especially like the renters not buyers part. My that is really scary. What is the world coming to?
    In a wealthy community of single family homes, a transition to renters is basically the kiss of death. People specifically move to these communities for stable neighborhoods full of hyper-involved homeowners and parents. They're the kind of neighborhoods where not shoveling the snow in a timely matter is a grave offense to neighbors.

If they wanted to live next to transients they wouldn't be paying outrageous property taxes, and they'd be living somewhere more renter friendly [[Royal Oak, Midtown, Ann Arbor, wherever).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast