Elena Herrada
    Andy Linn
    Kourtney Neloms
    Jeffrey Robinson

Board of Education:
    [[I only chose 2)

Willie Burton
    Marie Thornton

So what do you think? Who are you voting for?

Monica Conyers for CC. Had a favorable reading in the Fox2 poll Sunday night. Come on Detroit, let's show the suburbs who we are!

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    Monica Conyers for CC. Had a favorable reading in the Fox2 poll Sunday night. Come on Detroit, let's show the suburbs who we are!
    Lord what fools these mortals be

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    Seriously, I was going to vote for her. I was reading in the Freep that she couldn't assume office under Michigan law even if she did win. Based on that I was going to vote for her because I was thinking we'll end up with 8 council people ripping us off instead of 9. The Freep busted my bubble when the artlicle went on to say that there would have to be a special election next year to fill the remaining seat.

Drats, foiled again ...!

Damn Cp. Leave it up to the Freep to destroy the execution of a well thought out plan.

MIRepublic Guest

Here's a genuine good luck offering to all Detroit voters who will continue the process of genuine electoral change they began earlier this year. I have a very good feeling about this, and can't wait to see the top 9 of the 18 who move forward, tomorrow. That'll say everything. The top 9 will have a very hard time not making it to council save for some huge implosion between now and November depending on how close the bottom 9 stack up to the 9th place finisher.

I can't vote. I am a citizen of Metropolitan Detroit.
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry when Monica and Martha make the first cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I can't vote. I am a citizen of Metropolitan Detroit.
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry when Monica and Martha make the first cut.
    Easy answer. Laugh if MonCon makes the top 9 because she can't hold office anyway. Cry [[or at least I will cry - loud and hard!) if Martha & the Vandellas make the top 9.

MIRepublic Guest

When you've got, what? 20% of eligible voters participating, and you take into account who that 20% are, I'd not be surprised to see Martha and Monica round out the 18 at numbers 17 and 18, respectively.

I wonder how many would get out and vote in a special election for a Council seat.

I also would like to see the "Vandella's" win while "Rose" goes back to being a slumlord.

No Bing nor Cockrel. The charter commission is the important one. Forget the school board vote for no one.

City Council:

Gary Brown
    Fred Hall
    Lisa Howze
    Saunteel Jenkins
    Matt Naimi
    David Cross
    Adrian Green
    Jai-Lee Dearing
    Andre Spivey

What, no one voting for that Chris Farley looking guy? If he is half the man he was in Black Sheep he would make an excellent council man. lol

I get really annoyed how the Freep constantly, and unnecessarily brings up the fact that 15 - 20% of Detroit Voters will turn out and vote. It's funny becuase they mentioned in the same article that three other cities in Metro Detroit are holding elections as well - Sterling heights, Hamtramck and [[I forgot the last one... was it Dearborn?). Either way, they said that it's only expected that 15-20% of those cities voters are showing up as well - yet the Freep, nor anyone else, makes a big deal out of it. Seems like there's an agenda in this region. Just drop the bickering about the turn out rate, or at least mention the other culprits as well. Either way, I'm doing my duty and voting today in the Detroit Primary. By the way, I'm confident that all of Detroit will vote for change today - no martha and no moncon, guaran...sheed!

Charles Pugh got the Detroit city council primary in the bag.

That will be more old and new black leaders in Detroit. But what I need is NEW LEADERSHIP.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    I get really annoyed how the Freep constantly, and unnecessarily brings up the fact that 15 - 20% of Detroit Voters will turn out and vote. It's funny because they mentioned in the same article that three other cities in Metro Detroit are holding elections as well - Sterling heights, Hamtramck and [[I forgot the last one... was it Dearborn?). Either way, they said that it's only expected that 15-20% of those cities voters are showing up as well - yet the Freep, nor anyone else, makes a big deal out of it. Seems like there's an agenda in this region. Just drop the bickering about the turn out rate, or at least mention the other culprits as well. Either way, I'm doing my duty and voting today in the Detroit Primary. By the way, I'm confident that all of Detroit will vote for change today - no martha and no moncon, guaran...sheed!
    Ok wait a minute... any of the other cities you mention have their mayors removed from office and serve jail time thus necessitating this ridiculous election season? Any other have a woman who is quite clearly insane [[I mean Martha Reeves in case you couldn't figure it out among the mental incompetents on CC...it can be a challenge) running? any of the other "culprit" cities have a convicted felon awaiting sentencing on the ballot-- who, if she wins [[which is a distinct possibility) would force YET ANOTHER special election to replace her?

It's news that the primary election turnout is so low because Detroit [[ahem...the state's only "Major City"...why you are even equating an election in Sterling Heights with Detroit is beyond me.) politics are so fucked up and so much is riding on this election. It's news because with all the evidence that the ridiculous primary ballot is made up of charlatans, criminals, various also-rans, re-tread failures, and incompetent imbeciles will virtually guarantee those with name recognition of any kind will make it through, which, in turn ensures that nothing will ever change in Detroit. And it's definitely news that barely [[maybe ...best case) 1 in 5 voters will show up to do anything about it.
    Last edited by bailey; August-04-09 at 11:27 AM.

I did my research and here are my selections:

Board of Education:
    [[I only chose 2)

Willie Burton
    Marie Thornton

Isn't Marie Thornton that batshit crazy woman who insisted she should still travel to San Diego even though the district is $300 million in the hole?

I was clueless who to vote for Board of Education - I did some more research last night and changed my two original selections.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Ok wait a minute... any of the other cities you mention have their mayors removed from office and serve jail time thus necessitating this ridiculous election season? Any other have a woman who is quite clearly insane [[I mean Martha Reeves in case you couldn't figure it out among the mental incompetents on CC...it can be a challenge) running? any of the other "culprit" cities have a convicted felon awaiting sentencing on the ballot-- who, if she wins [[which is a distinct possibility) would force YET ANOTHER special election to replace her?

It's news that the primary election turnout is so low because Detroit [[ahem...the state's only "Major City"...why you are even equating an election in Sterling Heights with Detroit is beyond me.) politics are so fucked up and so much is riding on this election. It's news because with all the evidence that the ridiculous primary ballot is made up of charlatans, criminals, various also-rans, re-tread failures, and incompetent imbeciles will virtually guarantee those with name recognition of any kind will make it through, which, in turn ensures that nothing will ever change in Detroit. And it's definitely news that barely [[maybe ...best case) 1 in 5 voters will show up to do anything about it.
    Your argument has two flaws -

A) I chose those cities for comparison due to the fact that they are having elections around the same time AND they contain people who have been crying out that Detroit's turnout is too low.

B) You are assuming that these calls of Detroit's voter turn out being too low has only recently popped up after the scandals. Now, is that the case?

Um.....I'm no longer in Detroit, but when I vote, I vote by secret ballot. Don't you?

Your argument has two flaws -

A) I chose those cities for comparison due to the fact that they are having elections around the same time AND they contain people who have been crying out that Detroit's turnout is too low.

B) You are assuming that these calls of Detroit's voter turn out being too low has only recently popped up after the scandals. Now, is that the case?
    A) your comparison is still ridiculous as those cities will simply elect the same mostly competent and basically harmless city managers, counsel folk, and dog catchers. Detroit has a motley group of repeat losers, unfit parents running for school boards and felons running for council. a 15% turnout in a milquetoast election in a suburb is not news. 15% turnout in a "real city" with the incredibly huge focus on "change" and "this one really counts"..is.

B) I never made such assumption. No it's not new.... however, abysmal turnout in a year with so much riding on the line will always be news as the only conclusion to draw is that in Detroit, with all it's huge problems and with proven imbeciles and felons in leadership positions, hardly anyone cares enough to change anything. THAT is the story this year and every year. Not whether more than 15% turned out in Sterling heights to elect a drain commissioner running unopposed.
    Last edited by bailey; August-04-09 at 02:30 PM.

Hate to say it dcm, but bailey is stealing your lunch here.

Well, I must admit that my negative post about the performance of Monica and Martha in the primary has been proven wrong. Happy to be mistaken!

Still looking forward to a Metropolitan approach to government, from both the great City and the suburbs.