Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 100% of Seniors at this Detroit H.S. accepted into college

100% of seniors at this SW Detroit Catholic school have been accepted by at least one college.

And four years running. Not bad!!!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/colu...lege/21834979/

DetroitBoy Guest

This is really great! An excellent example of how those who are serious minded and want to achieve will do so in the city of Detroit. You should see if you can post this to the CNN site and local tv so we can get the story out nationally. Thanks for sharing !

I think it's important to point out that Cristo Rey is a Catholic school in the city. So often, on this board, posters berate and deride the Catholic Church, often saying that the Catholic Church "abandoned" Detroit.
    I am as saddened as anyone that many Catholic schools were forced to close because they were not financially viable and, even after millions of dollars were poured into their individual budgets, the future trajectory was never improving.

This Cristo Rey model is a new one, and one that send to working. My own company has two Cristo Rey students and we can see them grow and become more confident and accomplished every week. They have long hours at school, early and late.
    You should see them arrive on their campus - just around 7:30 am and neatly dressed. Every morning they meet the principal at the door, shake his hand and then start the day with prayer and an assembly that reinforces the school's values and expectations.

This is great news. I hope they're all able to get a post-high education.

Viva Cristo Rey!! Beautiful to see DCR students coming and going around the corner of Vernor & Junction on the historic campus of Holy Redeemer Parish [[Go Lions!). Catholic college prep high school is alive and kicking in southwest Detroit!

Impressive.

Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I think it's important to point out that Cristo Rey is a Catholic school in the city. So often, on this board, posters berate and deride the Catholic Church, often saying that the Catholic Church "abandoned" Detroit.
    I am as saddened as anyone that many Catholic schools were forced to close because they were not financially viable and, even after millions of dollars were poured into their individual budgets, the future trajectory was never improving.

This Cristo Rey model is a new one, and one that send to working. My own company has two Cristo Rey students and we can see them grow and become more confident and accomplished every week. They have long hours at school, early and late.
    You should see them arrive on their campus - just around 7:30 am and neatly dressed. Every morning they meet the principal at the door, shake his hand and then start the day with prayer and an assembly that reinforces the school's values and expectations.
    My parents forced me to go through 12 years of Catholic schooling, and I hated every minute of it. As I got out on my own and started going through life, I became and remain forever grateful.

The School that my daughter goes to has a 100% graduation rate also.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/e...llege/26468552

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    The School that my daughter goes to has a 100% graduation rate also.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/e...llege/26468552

Congratulations getmoore, good job! I've seen the school coming and going from Eastern Mark-Up but had no idea what it was.

MAcc Guest

All due respect, getting accepted to college is largely meaningless. Show me the average MME or ACT scores. Very easy to pass kids through and get them into colleges that accept everyone. The lack of MME or ACT mentions in the article suggests they're likely sending a bunch of unprepared kids to college. Unprepared kids are highest risk to drop out and default on their loans, so I'm not big on pushing them into college. It's just patting yourself on the back as you pass the buck and hope they're late bloomers. It's a gross misuse of human capital, often doing more harm than good.
    Last edited by MAcc; January-19-15 at 02:08 PM.

Great news getmoore.MAcc, if you think it's no great feat to have an entire class graduate and be accepted to a college, you are delusional. There is real effort on the parts of the students, teachers and parents to achieve these goals. Yes, not all of them will graduate from college, or even attend after being accepted, but simply finishing high school in the challenges of an urban environment is an accomplishment. More of a challenge for some than others. When I went to college, it was not free to apply. You needed to pony up some bucks just to show that you were interested in higher education. There may be smaller schools [[community colleges) that don't have an application fee, but EMU, Wayne State, and UofM all charge just to apply.

Sorry, but putting any negative spin on this is ridiculous. Maybe they're not all going to Harvard or U of M, but at least they all graduated. Detroit Communication And Media Arts is a Detroit public school with a graduation rate in the high 90s [[last I checked). It's the old St. Marys of Redford high school building [[my HS alma mater).