Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default And you thought Detroit was that much empty!

This newly-released map shows us that the city isn't really vacant after all. Everything that's yellow is occupied. The only noticeable vacant swaths I notice are the lower east side, along Gratiot and around I-94 and I-96.

http://detroitography.com/2015/01/16...d-foreclosure/

A friend just pass this link along which not only shows a lot of people live here but who and where from the 2010 census. Click image below to go to site for full USA.

Willi Guest

Other people see it differently
    -- read the whole thing.
    It is definitely about Detroit.

http://transitdetroit.blogspot.com/2...paces.html?m=1

That's only structures. So an empty multi-family is being counted as 1 structure even if it has 14 housing units which is skewing the numbers up.

Occupancy for current housing stock is probably between 70 and 80%.

The feeling that the city is empty comes from you add the empty housing stock to the vacant lots, most of which used to be housing stock.

And as pointed out on the map, 54% of tax parcel's in the city don't have structures, if half that was originally residential, then the number of occupied residential parcel's zoned as residential is far lower.
    Last edited by Shai_Hulud; January-16-15 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    That's only structures. So an empty multi-family is being counted as 1 structure even if it has 14 housing units which is skewing the numbers up.

Occupancy for current housing stock is probably between 70 and 80%.

The feeling that the city is empty comes from you add the empty housing stock to the vacant lots, most of which used to be housing stock.

And as pointed out on the map, 54% of tax parcel's in the city don't have structures, if half that was originally residential, then the number of occupied residential parcel's zoned as residential is far lower.
    I think you read it wrong. As I read it, it says that 54% of parcels have occupied structures.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I think you read it wrong. As I read it, it says that 54% of parcels have occupied structures.
    Yes, you're correct. 54% have an occupied structure. Which is, sadly, pretty quite empty.

I don't really see the bright side of those numbers. They say to me that about 20% of our current, already highly diminished, building stock is vacant. And that over 40% of our land is either empty or has empty buildings on it. And those are the official, numbers, which I think are on the low side.

Anyone who has lived in this city long enough to remember even the '80s, to say nothing of the '60s or '70s, knows that much of this city contains barely a shadow of what once stood here. As inconceivable as it now, it bears remembering that almost every residential street in this city was once solidly lined on both sides with houses.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I don't really see the bright side of those numbers. They say to me that about 20% of our current, already highly diminished, building stock is vacant. And that over 40% of our land is either empty or has empty buildings on it. And those are the official, numbers, which I think are on the low side.

Anyone who has lived in this city long enough to remember even the '80s, to say nothing of the '60s or '70s, knows that much of this city contains barely a shadow of what once stood here. As inconceivable as it now, it bears remembering that almost every residential street in this city was once solidly lined on both sides with houses.
    I would estimate that by the end of the fifties, less than two percent of residential lots were vacant.

When I drive the neighborhood streets and see the beautiful brick single family and multi-family housing that is still standing but burned out or vandalized or stripped it's enough to make me cry. Then, when I look at the crap they've put up to replace it I want to cry even worse.

You would have to be naive or just a hater to not be a believer that the worst of the vacancy rate is behind us. Finances getting straightened out, a good economy and effective leaders are really making a noticeable improvement in this city. I used to look forward to see what the changes would be like in a few years and now I'm looking forward to just this summer to see improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    You would have to be naive or just a hater to not be a believer that the worst of the vacancy rate is behind us. Finances getting straightened out, a good economy and effective leaders are really making a noticeable improvement in this city. I used to look forward to see what the changes would be like in a few years and now I'm looking forward to just this summer to see improvements.
    I take it you missed the foreclosure maps [[61,000 properties HEADED INTO foreclosure)

You would also have to be naive or just wearing rose-colored glasses to think we've hit the bottom in terms of population numbers and abandonment...

[[of course, I'm discussing the entire city, not just Delt...I mean GilbertTown).
    Last edited by 313WX; January-17-15 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I take it you missed the foreclosure maps [[61,000 properties HEADED INTO foreclosure)

You would also have to be naive or just wearing rose-colored glasses to think we've hit the bottom in terms of population numbers and abandonment...

[[of course, I'm discussing the entire city, not just Delt...I mean GilbertTown).
    No I hear you and I am not claiming the problem is solved. I watched the "why don't we own this" site fairly close last fall and noticed a few things like primarily that when the shit was ready to hit the fan...suddenly, magically the taxes were paid up enough to get them off the block. I am taking everything into the equation, including the rate of demolition which is happening now at the fastest rate ever and will continue to increase and the stabilization in property values, improvements in city services etc. The obvious diffirence between 2010 and 2015 is the money is no longer terrified. People are willing to invest now, buildings and homes will continue to change hands that is going to be part of the future for sure but I think that abandonment to zero value already has slowed down. Still a lot of work to do but the corner has turned. Not everyone believes I understand, negative minded people tend to live there lives that way and never change.

No I hear you and I am not claiming the problem is solved. I watched the "why don't we own this" site fairly close last fall and noticed a few things like primarily that when the shit was ready to hit the fan...suddenly, magically the taxes were paid up enough to get them off the block. I am taking everything into the equation, including the rate of demolition which is happening now at the fastest rate ever and will continue to increase and the stabilization in property values, improvements in city services etc. The obvious diffirence between 2010 and 2015 is the money is no longer terrified. People are willing to invest now, buildings and homes will continue to change hands that is going to be part of the future for sure but I think that abandonment to zero value already has slowed down. Still a lot of work to do but the corner has turned. Not everyone believes I understand, negative minded people tend to live there lives that way and never change.
    And other people continue to live with Mom in the 'burbs, believe in fairy tales, and post crap on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And other people continue to live with Mom in the 'burbs, believe in fairy tales, and post crap on the internet.
    Or they claim to be a part of a city's comeback while using Mom's address in the suburbs to avoid paying the taxes and insurance in said city and living in an area of said city served exceptionally well by federally-subsidized University policing...

Or they claim to be a part of a city's comeback while using Mom's address in the suburbs to avoid paying the taxes and insurance in said city and living in an area of said city served exceptionally well by federally-subsidized University policing...
    People who cheat on taxes and insurance are common unfortunately. Only good legislation from the state level will help like

this:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...hole/21768471/

More is needed tho, the state needs to collect city income taxes and return to the muni and insurance regulations need a update badly.

Question for honky why does everyone you disagree with live in their moms basement? Just curious, I guess if they actually did they would feel insulted but when they don't it just makes you sound, well you know, stupid and ignorant to them. Like if you disagree you have no arguments or counter points just your nonsense saying about moms basement. Kinda childish.

Question for honky why does everyone you disagree with live in their moms basement? Just curious, I guess if they actually did they would feel insulted but when they don't it just makes you sound, well you know, stupid and ignorant to them. Like if you disagree you have no arguments or counter points just your nonsense saying about moms basement. Kinda childish.
    Here's a question for ABitterMacomb, why does everyone who comes after me need a remedial reading course? I never said you lived in your Mom's basement, just that lived with your Mom, in Macomb, which you do, because you've posted before that you did. But Thanx for owning up to the basement part, I had no idea. Please continue to enlighten me with your vast knowledge about what really is happening on in the City of Detroit, how it works, and where our money should be spent, I'm spellbound.

People who cheat on taxes and insurance are common unfortunately. Only good legislation from the state level will help like

this:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...hole/21768471/

More is needed tho, the state needs to collect city income taxes and return to the muni and insurance regulations need a update badly.
    But the state won't do anything about it, because deep down, they know if one weren't able to get away with tax and insurance fraud, so many of the people who have moved into downtown and midtown would move back out the next day...

It's one of those "unspoken rules" things...

Here's a question for ABitterMacomb, why does everyone who comes after me need a remedial reading course? I never said you lived in your Mom's basement, just that lived with your Mom, in Macomb, which you do, because you've posted before that you did. But Thanx for owning up to the basement part, I had no idea. Please continue to enlighten me with your vast knowledge about what really is happening on in the City of Detroit, how it works, and where our money should be spent, I'm spellbound.
    Lol! You calling someone else "bitter" turn that frown upside down honky!

But the state won't do anything about it, because deep down, they know if one weren't able to get away with tax and insurance fraud, so many of the people who have moved into downtown and midtown would move back out the next day...

It's one of those "unspoken rules" things...
    The governor was more than willing to speak about high insurance cost in Michigan a few state of the states ago because everyone in the whole state is getting screwed period. The residents of Detroit are just getting screwed the most. It has more to do with useless legislators.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...surance-rates/

The states inability to collect city income taxes has more to do with tea baggers that refuse to act on anything that's related to tax. There unwillingness to do anything about road funding is the proof of that. Kick the problem at the voters in a referendum because they refuse to make hard decisions.

where our money should be spent,
    It's Detroit. It's all of our money, no matter where we live in the state.

Lol! You calling someone else "bitter" turn that frown upside down honky!
    Will do, ABitterMacomb.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    It's Detroit. It's all of our money, no matter where we live in the state.
    Nice try, but the last time I checked my paycheck stub, there were additional taxes paid for living here, higher property tax, and additional taxes for working here.

Nice try, but the last time I checked my paycheck stub, there were additional taxes paid for living here, higher property tax, and additional taxes for working here.
    Don't forget the elevated auto/home insurance rates.....