Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit bistro owner claims racism is prompting eviction

"Resurget Cineribus. The second half of Detroit's motto translates into "It shall rise from the ashes" and it's happening. The City of Detroit is transforming and nowhere is that more evident than Downtown. Except for one business who says they're being forced out because they're black.

At the heart of Detroit's rebirth, a racial battle is brewing.

"It's very painful. We were just trying to do good business and wanted to make things nice for the people for Detroit," Marilyn Hall said.

Hall had big dreams for her restaurant. She sunk her life savings in to this place, leased the space, and in November 2013, she and her son, Gerald Watson, opened Mo Better Blues on Adams in Detroit. But she says, new building owners came in and now Mo Better is no more.

"They allowed us to build this place out, spent over a quarter million dollars in it, and then wanted to get us out and put somebody else in it," Watson said.

From article...
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27...pting-eviction

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Resurget Cineribus. The second half of Detroit's motto translates into "It shall rise from the ashes" and it's happening. The City of Detroit is transforming and nowhere is that more evident than Downtown. Except for one business who says they're being forced out because they're black.

At the heart of Detroit's rebirth, a racial battle is brewing.

"It's very painful. We were just trying to do good business and wanted to make things nice for the people for Detroit," Marilyn Hall said.

Hall had big dreams for her restaurant. She sunk her life savings in to this place, leased the space, and in November 2013, she and her son, Gerald Watson, opened Mo Better Blues on Adams in Detroit. But she says, new building owners came in and now Mo Better is no more.

"They allowed us to build this place out, spent over a quarter million dollars in it, and then wanted to get us out and put somebody else in it," Watson said.
    Sign short term lease on property. Invest long term in property. I say they were being evicted because they were stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Sign short term lease on property. Invest long term in property. I say they were being evicted because they were stupid.
    Naive or inexperienced would be much better adjectives, Wesley. I do agree that major investments with a short lease was not the prudent way to proceed.

I wish people wouldn't go straight to the race card. Completely destroys any credibility of their claim. I mean, it sounds like they have a legitimate complaint but now they just sound nuts. Racism is a terrible thing to claim so I would hope they have some strong evidence or they could be facing a slander/libel suit.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I wish people wouldn't go straight to the race card. Completely destroys any credibility of their claim. I mean, it sounds like they have a legitimate complaint but now they just sound nuts. Racism is a terrible thing to claim so I would hope they have some strong evidence or they could be facing a slander/libel suit.
    An attorney for Rivertown points to a judge's ruling that Smith demolished 75% of the inside of the building, leading to his eviction.
    Its right there in the article...they were evicted because they destroyed 75% of the interior in the "remodel". Before you start moving walls, might want to get the land lord's permission.

"Something bad happened to me and I'm black, must be racism."

I don't see anything that supports the claim of racism.

Stupid was intentionally pejorative, as is the use of the 'race card'. I hesitated to write that, but then I decided it was appropriate. The race card does seem to be played mostly after making a stupid move, it seems to me. [[Although some just play it all day long, e.g. Sharpton.)

It's just like Nolan Finlay said from Gilberttown to Midtown, " Where are the black people?"

Racist rich white yuppies kick them out.

It's a sure sign that white folks want Detroit back. No more Africantown!
    Last edited by Danny; January-16-15 at 04:12 PM.

how many downtown buildings-- not businesses-- are african-american owned, either individually or major shareholders?

I signed a short-term lease on a commercial space, decided to knock down a bunch of walls, got into a spat with my landlord and stopped paying rent, and now my landlord wants to evict me???

That's a cheering image. Interesting to find it on this site......
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-17-15 at 03:31 AM.

Hah. You wont see Sharpton rolling into town on this one. There's nothing in it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Stupid was intentionally pejorative, as is the use of the 'race card'. I hesitated to write that, but then I decided it was appropriate. The race card does seem to be played mostly after making a stupid move, it seems to me. [[Although some just play it all day long, e.g. Sharpton.)

That's a compelling point. I was wondering what they were thinking regarding that!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Its right there in the article...they were evicted because they destroyed 75% of the interior in the "remodel". Before you start moving walls, might want to get the land lord's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That's a compelling point. I was wondering what they were thinking regarding that!

Perhaps it is a compelling point regarding the eviction of Darnell Smith
    , the owner of the Tangerine Room next to Atwater Brewery, whose troubles are covered in the article along with the Himelhoch tenants.

It is NOT a compelling point regarding the eviction of Hall and Watson of Mo Better Blues since it is not something that they did. Before everyone keeps referencing that "75%" figure they should read the article again.

If you buy a building and you have a plan to fill it with rental apartments, perhaps you think that a late-night enterprise such as a blues club in which the entertainment starts at 8 pm will be too loud or eat up too much parking, or something. It's your building to configure as you like. Maybe you want a florist shop and a sushi carry out.
    I do think it's going to happen that certain themes that resonated previously, like soul food and sexy jazz [[as Mo Better Blues advertised) won't be helpful building amenities for some rental building owners to promote. I could consider living downtown, but not on top of a nightclub. The owner complains: "They" let us spend a lot of money on a build-out and now "they" want us out." But earlier the article states that the building has new owners who want the space back- so likely it was the previous owners who allowed the build- out. It's a bummer, but if you have a new landlord who wants the space and your lease is up you probably aren't being discriminated against.

I haven't been there, but I have read from several friends [[and friends of friends) on social media that Mo Better Blues suffered from bad food, bad service, and questions about the sustainability of their business [[dependence on VIP/bottle service and lack of customers). Combined with the issues that forced Shield's Pizza to back out of the location...I have to wonder how much of this is the proprietor trying to save face?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    ...snip.... It's a bummer, but if you have a new landlord who wants the space and your lease is up you probably aren't being discriminated against.
    Racism is not detected these days by fact, but by feelings. You have to turn up your feelings to understand that racism exists. You'll see that its out there.

Well, so wise-sounding to suggest that "turn up my feelings." But helpful in evaluating the Mo Better Blues situation? I think not. I have been in the business world for many years and I think overall, business is where one should tone down feelings.
    I understand that I am considered a person with a lot of moral fiber by my co -workers, so you can be sure that I am not suggesting that callous is good business behavior, but decisions should rarely be emotional and onlookers should try to see them in that light as well, although I grant that some things are hard to accept.

I'm just suspicious of "feelings" as they are transient, mutable, often influenced by misperceptions or a world-view in which the "feeler" is the center, however erroneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    I haven't been there, but I have read from several friends [[and friends of friends) on social media that Mo Better Blues suffered from bad food, bad service, and questions about the sustainability of their business [[dependence on VIP/bottle service and lack of customers).
    If that's the case, I'm surprised they're still in business.

In any normal city where the normal laws of capitalism apply [[and mediocrity is not accepted), their poor management would have led to their downfall long ago...
    Last edited by 313WX; January-17-15 at 08:35 PM.