Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Target Closng All Canadian Stores

Think retailing is easy? Target spent hundreds of millions enlarging former Zellers locations and opening 130 Canadian stores including 4 within a few miles of each other in my area [[and one in Windsor).

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...nada/21798255/

this is a mistake. it leaves Canada vulnerable to further invasion by Wal-Marts. Also lots of jobs are now lost, forever.

Without looking - anybody know who won the Grey Cup, didn't think so......

Willi Guest

Canadian Tire is in their blood the past 50 years.
    Did about 13 Billion dollars in sales last year
    Retail in Canada is alive and well.
    Name:  Screenshot_2015-01-15-14-55-20~2.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  24.3 KB

One of Canada’s most powerful retailers, Canadian Tire, is a concept that is completely foreign to U.S. retail, and its market position and "hold" over the Canadian consumer is often both misunderstood and underestimated. The company sells products ranging from spark plugs and tires to sporting goods and apparel, with food offered in some of its locations.
    Last edited by Willi; January-15-15 at 03:04 PM.

Target blew their entry, expectations were outsized, and the Canadian Dollar is at 83 cents and falling [[was near par 2 years ago).

Target looked at the new reality, and realized best to lose the battle to win the war.

Target stock up 2% today, so the top 1% of labor [[municipal union members) pension funds are doing better today.

There was a telling story posted by Gawker last year from someone claiming to be in Target Canada management.

http://gawker.com/why-was-target-can...ter-1579554288

To sum it up, an arrogant US company went all in in entering Canada while thinking that the US way of doing things would automatically work in Canada. It didn't.

Based on their experiences in US stores, especially in border cities like here, Canadian customers expected to find great prices and unique items at Target's Canadian stores. They found neither. Instead they found uncompetitive prices and sometimes would be lucky to even find some basic items on store shelves.

Smirnoff.....
    Stamps beat the Ti-Cats 20-16 in Vancouver. Bo Levi Mitchell [[Eastern Washington State University) lead Calgary to victory. 2015 Grey Cup to be in Winnipeg.....

As to the point at hand, it's not like the announcement was unexpected. Target's Canadian operation never made money, and it had been long expected that they would either close or sell the Canadian venture.....

I live in Canada and never sent foot in any of the local Targets that opened up here in the last two years. Right from the beginning there were reports of high prices and empty shelves. I figured I'd wait until those problems were fixed and they never were.

Willi Guest

Got any Canadian Tire money laying around ?

Name:  Screenshot_2015-01-15-18-36-46~2.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  55.3 KB

Hardcore retail loyalty.
    Last edited by Willi; January-15-15 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Got any Canadian Tire money laying around ?
    Hardcore retail loyalty.
    LOL, it used to be.

At one time we'd get $3 of CTM back on a $60 purcuase. That dropped to $1.80, then to $0.85, and now it's $0.30. Now to get one of those $2 coupons you have to spend $500 cash!

At least Canadian Tire has stuff. The light bulb inside my clothes dryer burnt out. Home Depot [[where I bought the dryer) did not sell replacement bulbs. But CT across the street did.

Coincidentally, I was listening to this story on the news on CBC radio yesterday. A woman was interviewed who stated that Target was way overpriced and cited an example of a toilet seat costing $25 at Target, while the same one was only $10 at Canadian Tire.

Is this relevant because there is a target in Windsor?
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-16-15 at 07:49 PM.

I wonder what effect this will have on Windsor's Devonshire Mall? Target's leaving. Sears is also leaving Canada, which may or may not be replaced by Nordstrom like in Toronto's Eaton Center. We may have two large voids. Marshall's is opening up in the plaza across the street in the vacant Home Depot building [[so they'll have no interest in it). I heard the Bay will be reinventing their stores as Saks Fifth Avenue, so I don't know if there's gonna be a local interest for them staying in this city anymore. Ever since Tecumseh Mall lost their two large anchors, Zeller's and Sobey's, I haven't set foot there more than once. There are already two Walmarts and three Canadian Tires in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Is this relevant because there it a target in Windsor?
    ABetterWindsor...lol

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I wonder what effect this will have on Windsor's Devonshire Mall? Target's leaving. Sears is also leaving Canada, which may or may not be replaced by Nordstrom like in Toronto's Eaton Center. We may have two large voids. Marshall's is opening up in the plaza across the street in the vacant Home Depot building [[so they'll have no interest in it). I heard the Bay will be reinventing their stores as Saks Fifth Avenue, so I don't know if there's gonna be a local interest for them staying in this city anymore. Ever since Tecumseh Mall lost their two large anchors, Zeller's and Sobey's, I haven't set foot there more than once. There are already two Walmarts and three Canadian Tires in the city.
    A former Sears in downtown Vancouver's also being replaced by Nordstrom.