Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Moving from Suburbs of New Orleans to suburbs of Detroit.

Lived in suburbs of New Orleans my whole life. Familiar with at least one shooting a day on the news. I know which streets to avoid and how to be safe in New Orleans. Is livings near Detriot the same? Looking into Grosse Points area. Relocating for husbands job. One son who has Aspbergers. Thanks in advance!

I think you will quickly get the hang of it for the reasons you mentioned, and that you will develop many interesting comparisons and contrasts between the two cities.

I love N.O. and particularly the intactness of many of its neighborhoods and especially its central quarter. That will be one of the main ways in which Detroit is different-- it's even more of a patchwork quilt. But it is also bigger and has greater economic magnitude, and it's legacy of being one of the country's largest and richest cities at one point will show through.

Grosse Pointe is an excellent choice for proximity to the city, some of the best public schools, and generally nice/historic neighborhoods. I grew up there and continue to see its merits today. I suggest reading up on it, even via wikipedia and then via other sources. One thing to know is that it's a fairly cohesive/connected swath of five individual towns, but the character changes from SW [[closest to Detroit) to NE [[furthest from Detroit, though still not distant). People have varying opinions, but the sections closer to Detroit-- the Farms, City, and Park-- have the most character and the better neighborhood layout and schools, in my view.

Welcome to the forum Berly2300.

Our family made that move in 1966. The most stark contrast was the climate of course.

Folks will probably ask for more details about your preferences before offering advice. What are the most important factors to you in choosing a place to live?

As far as shootings go, CrimeMapping.com is one good resource.

Grosse Pointe schools have really great programs for children with special needs. If you can find a house in the Kerby Elementary or Brownell Middle School district [[Grosse Pointe Farms) your child will definitely be in good hands. The teachers are really great and have experience with or support for working with children on the spectrum.

The Farms also has a great lakefront park and a great new dog park if you are into that sort of thing. It is a nice, somewhat sleepy place to bring up a family.

To the OP, read up on the GPs before you decide to move here. The proximity to Detroit attracted me here but is a deterrent for some. City services are excellent. There is high police visibility especially at the cities' borders which helps deter crime but this is not the suburbs so take reasonable steps [[lock cars and houses and keep valuables out of sight) and if your kids are of driving age make sure they watch their driving [[in town) and are aware of areas kids should not hang out. If you don't like seeing police on your streets this may not be your cup of tea.

Consider parking when you select a home. Many places have no option except street parking and it becomes a mess when it snows because they can't plow. Other places have parking on one side only. If possible select a home on the other side of the street. Nice place to ride bikes but mind traffic signals and such. This isn't Ann Arbor.

I like walking in town, there are nice little downtowns and there's Mack and Kercheval with places to eat etc, many walkable.

Review the sentiments toward GP on this and other forums before deciding to move here. It tends to be a lightning rod and, although that hasn't caused too many problems you never know. For that reason if I had it to do over again I would look for something in the Farms or Woods.

Housing runs the gamut from $60k in the Woods to obscene near the lake. I would pass up the $30k tear downs in some areas.

I have no advice on schools. I never picked homes based on schools anyway. My kids are long grown, weren't sheltered and did fine anyway. Ask around, people with kids may be more helpful.

This is may seem negative, but you need to know before moving here. Been here a few years now, and don't regret it yet but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    To the OP, read up on the GPs before you decide to move here. The proximity to Detroit attracted me here but is a deterrent for some. City services are excellent. There is high police visibility especially at the cities' borders which helps deter crime but this is not the suburbs so take reasonable steps [[lock cars and houses and keep valuables out of sight) and if your kids are of driving age make sure they watch their driving [[in town) and are aware of areas kids should not hang out. If you don't like seeing police on your streets this may not be your cup of tea.

Consider parking when you select a home. Many places have no option except street parking and it becomes a mess when it snows because they can't plow. Other places have parking on one side only. If possible select a home on the other side of the street. Nice place to ride bikes but mind traffic signals and such. This isn't Ann Arbor.

I like walking in town, there are nice little downtowns and there's Mack and Kercheval with places to eat etc, many walkable.

Review the sentiments toward GP on this and other forums before deciding to move here. It tends to be a lightning rod and, although that hasn't caused too many problems you never know. For that reason if I had it to do over again I would look for something in the Farms or Woods.

Housing runs the gamut from $60k in the Woods to obscene near the lake. I would pass up the $30k tear downs in some areas.

I have no advice on schools. I never picked homes based on schools anyway. My kids are long grown, weren't sheltered and did fine anyway. Ask around, people with kids may be more helpful.

This is may seem negative, but you need to know before moving here. Been here a few years now, and don't regret it yet but we'll see.

I'd say that's a pretty honest assessment.

I think the GP schools are pretty darn good and will continue to be. As good as when GP was in its heyday? Probably not. But the complaints are way overblown. Some people will make you think Grosse Pointe North is a bad high school. Ridiculous. Standards are high, and while in many ways that's a good thing, it can cloud people's judgments. I'd take Grosse Pointe North over any of the high schools in Warren, which is where I grew up.

Consider parking when you select a home. Many places have no option except street parking and it becomes a mess when it snows because they can't plow. Other places have parking on one side only. If possible select a home on the other side of the street.
    It take it this is a generic comment. Very few homes in Grosse Pointe come without driveways and garages. I have lived in GP Park since 1958. Our streets and sidewalks are always plowed promptly.
    Last edited by GPCharles; January-15-15 at 09:49 AM.

Also, just FYI, you could also look into the Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, and south Royal Oak area for housing. That's another nice, walkable area right outside the city.

Otherwise, the only other semi-walkable area near the border of Detroit is Dearborn - which I happen to love - but it's a bit rough around the edges in places. Well, there's also River Rouge and Ecorse, but the modus operandi is to essentially pretend those cities don't exist. Both are pretty urban [[especially RR), but are very polluted and on a noticeable decline.

Just to give you the full scoop, so you know all the options.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Also, just FYI, you could also look into the Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, and south Royal Oak area for housing. That's another nice, walkable area right outside the city.
    Yes, relatively nice and walkable, but probably a worse option for a family with school age children. Ferndale schools [[which includes Pleasant Ridge) stink.

I think the schools in Ferndale are fine. Not amazing, but not horrible. Ferndale is suffering from a change in image, from a family-orientated city to more of a hip, urban city. That's all. People see 9 Mile and Woodward and think they couldn't possibly raise a kid there. Still, I think you'd have to be a real snob to refuse to raise your kid in Pleasant Ridge.

A lot of the schools that get a bad rep score high on diversity. I wonder why that is? For me, diversity is a big selling point. I really appreciated the demographics of Warren Mott. Blacks, old school American whites, Chaldeans, Eastern European immigrants, Indians, Vietnamese... it was a great experience and I think it's made me more understanding and tolerant of others.

I think the schools in Ferndale are fine. Not amazing, but not horrible. Ferndale is suffering from a change in image, from a family-orientated city to more of a hip, urban city. That's all. People see 9 Mile and Woodward and think they couldn't possibly raise a kid there. Still, I think you'd have to be a real snob to refuse to raise your kid in Pleasant Ridge.
    Ferndale schools have student performance that is far below the state average, and the state is below average for the nation, so most parents with options are not going to send their kids to Ferndale schools.

The schools are overwhelmingly poor families, so I doubt there are many kids from Pleasant Ridge in the school system. I don't think it's coincidental that Pleasant Ridge is probably the most heavily gay town in Michigan. It's filled with childless couples of all types.

I think, if the choice is Grosse Pointe or Ferndale, and there's a school age child in the mix, the choice is obvious. You have one of the best suburban districts vs. one of the worst. And I far prefer this side of the metro. If you want better restaurants, more central location, more stuff in proximity, obviously Ferndale, but for schools, no way.
    Last edited by Bham1982; January-15-15 at 10:38 AM.

Yep, who knows what might happen to your precious child if they have to interact with... [[shudder) the poors.

Yep, who knows what might happen to your precious child if they have to interact with... [[shudder) the poors.
    You can laugh but most people don't want their kids attending schools where there have been shootings and gang incidents. There are plenty of good schools in the area, why would someone willingly choose failing schools?

Charlie LeDuff lives [[or lived?) in Pleasant Ridge with his family. Imagine that!

Charlie LeDuff lives [[or lived?) in Pleasant Ridge with his family. Imagine that!
    And does he send his kids to Ferndale schools? There are plenty of good private schools nearby. Schools of choice might also be an option.

Good advice, above. The weather may be your biggest challenge. If you could bring some of the charm from Royale Street, or Kermit Ruffins' recipe for bbq turkey, it would be appreciated.
    First visits: DIA, Belle Isle, the Guardian Building.

Bham, haven't most of the problems in Ferndale's schools been at the alternative high school by 8 Mile? IMO, what Ferndale is attempting with the Digital Learning Center is very laudable and it's a shame people like you want to punish the district for attempting to provide underprivileged kids with a better education.

Very broad socioeconomic spectrum at Ferndale Schools.

What I've noticed is that kids with stable homelife and money [[Pleasant Ridge on the one extreme) do fine, make friends and go on to college/success as they would in Northville or GP. Kids with an unstable homelife and no money [[Royal Oak Township on the other extreme).... well I'm not sure.

But what I have also noticed about Ferndalian youths is they seem to be very confident in general, and comfortable around a wide variety of people. Parents seem to helicopter a bit less there too. Overall, a bit more 'grit' or what have you. Often the hothouse flowers coming out of exurban compounds or public ivys can't deal with life outside the safe zone.

In general - as long as the school is safe and the teachers aren't complete muppets, the pre-existing home situation is really determines where they go after high school. GPA chasing is often cover for polite racism [[not always, not always).

To the OP welcome to the forum and Detroit There are many different options on suburbs with different flavers. The first thing that I would consider is what the commute times would be from job/jobs [[ something this forum would be able to be great help with) and factor housing cost with school districts. As has already been noted above the school districts performance around here is not equal, some are exellant and some not so much. I'm sure I speak for most of the forum that we would be happy to help with any advice we have, just ask away.

Rolfsy: I get the sense that Bham is a bit behind the times in his comments, as well. He's like the guy that perpetually shows up to the party 10-15 years late.

Rolfsy: I get the sense that Bham is a bit behind the times in his comments, as well. He's like the guy that perpetually shows up to the party 10-15 years late.
    Which is ironic in that Ferndale schools were average 10-15 years ago, and now suck.

Probably families of means from Pleasant Ridge did send their kids to Ferndale schools back then. Now the district is overwhelmingly poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfsy View Post
    In general - as long as the school is safe and the teachers aren't complete muppets, the pre-existing home situation is really determines where they go after high school. GPA chasing is often cover for polite racism [[not always, not always).
    There have been multiple shootings in Ferndale schools in recent years. It has nothing to do with "polite racism"; the schools suck. There was a shooting just a few months ago. There was another a few years ago.

http://oaklandcounty115.com/2012/02/...hool-shooting/

http://www.dailytribune.com/general-...-school-office

In addition, Ferndale High kids have been murdered in incidents outside of school hours in recent years. Middle class parents don't even have Ferndale schools on the radar.

See, you're picking on the Digital Learning Center alternative high school. Well, that's great man. Keep tearing down Ferndale for trying to provide solutions. If you have your way, pretty soon you'll be tearing down Birmingham, too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast