Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The most innovative cities in America

Detroit comes out at #5:

Need is often a prime driver of innovation -- and Detroit needs a lot.

There's a new land bank charged with helping get people back into the city's thousands of abandoned homes. The land bank itself is part of a broader plan to reimagine all of Detroit's unused space -- a plan that's won points from experts.

Start-up incubators abound, with a vibrant technology district downtown. In the city's Midtown section, light manufacturing is making a comeback and other high-tech industries are taking hold, helped by funding from regional and national foundations. The two neighborhoods will soon be connected by a new light rail line -- a collaborative work between the public and private sectors.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technol...vative-cities/

Of all the lists that Detroit has been honored on lately, I think this one is the most deserved. We're probably a bit far out from becoming a "top vacation destination" as some press has claimed, but there is a lot of innovation and entrepreneurship going on right now.

I truly believe struggle and the type of suffering that builds character [[as opposed to self-imposed mascochism-which is suffering pointlessly and needlessly) has always created innovation, creativity, and originality. I've seen cultural expression here I've never seen elsewhere. To quote the titular character from John Carpenter's Starman "You know what I love about you humans? You are always at your best, when things are at their worst."

If I were a non-Detroiter looking for a city to visit/vacation, and I had watched ten episodes of "Hard Core Pawn", Detroit certainly would not be on my list.

You folks ought to start a riot to get that show cancelled. It really puts the town in a bad light.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Of all the lists that Detroit has been honored on lately, I think this one is the most deserved.
    And something to be proud of too.