Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Personally I don't care how many times a 51 year old gets slapped around by the cops for pointing a gun at women and CHILDREN. Call me whatever you want, I know what I am and what I'm not and it isn't going to change my mind one bit.
    Apparently you are person with ideas about appropriate police behavior which differ from accepted standards. And, judging from the comments on this thread, you are not alone.

I find it surprising that people seem not to recognize that we have a system in which the idea is to divide the duties of apprehension of suspects, the determination of guilt, and the punishment of criminals between different sets of people, and that the system was set up this way for good reason.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Happy Birthday, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.!

For those who think its ok for the professional law ENFORCEMENT officers who are duty-bound to enforce the law, to also break the law, what if they had arrested the wrong guy? What if the suspect had let someone else "borrow" the stolen car. It happens. Would it have been ok for the officers to smack, knee or curse at the person who had not violently carjacked the car? I'm not talking about the punches and kicks that preceded the placing of handcuffs on the suspect. Just the smacks, knee in the back and profanity. Is that your idea of what a PROFESSIONAL anybody should be sanctioned to do?

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Apparently you are person with ideas about appropriate police behavior which differ from accepted standards. And, judging from the comments on this thread, you are not alone.

I find it surprising that people seem not to recognize that we have a system in which the idea is to divide the duties of apprehension of suspects, the determination of guilt, and the punishment of criminals between different sets of people, and that the system was set up this way for good reason.
    Oh, you have me all wrong. I fully recognize that we have a system where the systems you have described have different duties. My point is that if a criminal inflicts violent crime, rape, beatings or death by gunfire on children and the police catch them in the act then I don't care at all if the perpetrator gets bitch slapped, his face shoved in snow or yelled at in the face by the police. I still expect the judge to throw them in prison AND let the rest of population in the prison know what he does to children. This is why we build prisons, to protect women and children. You are completely missing that I have zero empathy for people who hurt or kill children.

Did this guy resist arrest, or not? That's all that matters. Cops should not be abusing people. But if you resist arrest, you then open yourself up to whatever is necessary to subdue you. This is such an easy concept. It is not brutality for police to be extremely forceful in getting your cooperation. But if you are compliant, then you should receive absolutely respectful action from a cop.

Brutality is unacceptable. Extreme force in getting resisting suspects to jail and then off to prosecution and court is not brutality.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post

Guess what? Those "different sets of people" especially the last two, do not include couch potatoes who watch 5 seconds of video and go out and burn shit.

Oh, you really haven't lived until you've been handcuffed in the back of a cop car, while a fat ass cop has been choking you until you can't breathe, while his partner is calmly sitting in the front passenger seat. As soon as he was done with his fun, I asked his partner "did you see that?". I got Dan Wesson's answer: "Didn't see a thing."

This happened back in the 80s in Detroit. I was suspected of committing a drive by near by. Granted, I didn't even own a car, and I had just gotten home from Army boot camp to visit.

Some of you have no fucking clue. Seriously, what in the hell is wrong with you? What if this was the wrong guy, as has happened God know how many times?

So you are all cool now that if the cop knows that you did something wrong, they get to beat you after arrest? What if you're hauling ass back to the burbs after downing a few tall boys at the Joe and you get pulled over? You're committing a crime, should the police get to sucker punch you after they put you in cuffs? Which crimes should be on the list as crimes that the police get to hit you after arrest?

It's a fucking slippery slope that fortunately most of the dumb ass posters above will never have to experience first hand.

Police should arrest suspects without emotion and with professionalism, no matter what the crime. What if this asshole gets off now because of those few kicks and punches?!? Seriously, use some goddamn common sense.

And before you start parroting "well, look what he did!", the crime has absolutely nothing to do with a cop's ethics and professionalism. But hey, you police apologists sound like you'd be completely fine with police opening CIA "black sites" all over Detroit, and snatching every hoodlum off the street to do with what they will. They all deserve it right?

God Bless America, the land of freedom and human rights. Yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Oh, you really haven't lived until you've been handcuffed in the back of a cop car, while a fat ass cop has been choking you until you can't breathe, while his partner is calmly sitting in the front passenger seat. As soon as he was done with his fun, I asked his partner "did you see that?". I got Dan Wesson's answer: "Didn't see a thing."

This happened back in the 80s in Detroit. I was suspected of committing a drive by near by. Granted, I didn't even own a car, and I had just gotten home from Army boot camp to visit.

Some of you have no fucking clue. Seriously, what in the hell is wrong with you? What if this was the wrong guy, as has happened God know how many times?

So you are all cool now that if the cop knows that you did something wrong, they get to beat you after arrest? What if you're hauling ass back to the burbs after downing a few tall boys at the Joe and you get pulled over? You're committing a crime, should the police get to sucker punch you after they put you in cuffs? Which crimes should be on the list as crimes that the police get to hit you after arrest?

It's a fucking slippery slope that fortunately most of the dumb ass posters above will never have to experience first hand.

Police should arrest suspects without emotion and with professionalism, no matter what the crime. What if this asshole gets off now because of those few kicks and punches?!? Seriously, use some goddamn common sense.

And before you start parroting "well, look what he did!", the crime has absolutely nothing to do with a cop's ethics and professionalism. But hey, you police apologists sound like you'd be completely fine with police opening CIA "black sites" all over Detroit, and snatching every hoodlum off the street to do with what they will. They all deserve it right?

I agree with what you've said. Do you agree that if suspect resists arrest, and might be armed and dangerous -- it is OK to use necessary force to restrain?

If so, then we can debate what is necessary. Otherwise, you're just preventing Detroit from achieving peace, freedom, and prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I support beating on tied up and handcuffed carjackers.
    Why am I not surprised?

Agreed 1000%. We are [[supposedly) living in a civilized society. The cops have no right to do anything that isn't "by the book" and should be punished severely if found guilty of doing anything violent to a suspect.

There's no "free pass", not even if you're completely certain you're arrested a child molester or something. That's for the courts, not uniformed vigilantes.

Please keep in mind that just because someone is on the ground and/or has someone on top of them does not mean that he or she is "subdued", "apprehended", etc. To think otherwise is along the same lines of the misinformed "just shoot him in the leg" mindset.

Once the handcuffs are fully applied, all physical measures should stop, however, I also realize that there can be some lag time due to the momentum of adrenaline.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Please keep in mind that just because someone is on the ground and/or has someone on top of them does not mean that he or she is "subdued", "apprehended", etc. To think otherwise is along the same lines of the misinformed "just shoot him in the leg" mindset.
    This is true, though I assume this is allowed per police guidelines. If it's found that the suspect was not yet subdued, then I think the cops followed the rules.

But, to me, based only on this crude video, it looks like the suspect was subdued [[though obviously a grand jury will make that decision).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This is true, though I assume this is allowed per police guidelines. If it's found that the suspect was not yet subdued, then I think the cops followed the rules.

But, to me, based only on this crude video, it looks like the suspect was subdued [[though obviously a grand jury will make that decision).
    I don't think a slap and a knee in the back is going to convene a grand jury. it would be nice if the permanently outraged got some perspective here.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't think a slap and a knee in the back is going to convene a grand jury. it would be nice if the permanently outraged got some perspective here.
    You're probably right, but it will trigger some sort of internal investigation. I really do think cops should be held to an extremely high standards in these sorts of incidents.

There is a huge element of the community [[especially black community) that thinks that "the issue" with the American underclass is relentless police brutality, rather than rampant intergenerational dysfunction. Reasonable people know this is nonsense, but I think we can help combat this by having the highest standards of conduct for our officers, and by showing that no deviation from the rules will be tolerated.

Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Guess what? Those "different sets of people" especially the last two, do not include couch potatoes who watch 5 seconds of video and go out and burn shit.
    The sad thing is that we have elements on this board who support criminals and want to give them special rights. Nobody wants to talk about the victim. They want to talk about the bad police who punched some knucklehead that had a gun and was trying to carjack people. God forbid we touch the carjacker. Let him free. I'm ashamed I even breath the same air as these people.

It's LOL at people thinking that cops can't show emotion. No matter who you are, if someone hits you, points a gun at you, etc... You aren't going to go around "Sir, please stop so we can handcuff you and let me know if they are too tight". You'll be beating this guy's ass until you know, he can't hurt you.
    Last edited by Cliffy; January-16-15 at 03:07 PM.

I support beating on tied up and handcuffed carjackers. Detroit is the shape that its in because a segment of the population is pro criminal. End of story.
    Why stop there? Why don't we let the cops handcuff then beat the snot out of anyone suspected of any crime?

The sad thing is that we have elements on this board who support criminals and want to give them special rights....
    Unless you can cite specific posts, we'll have to assume you're merely shadowboxing with contrived, imaginary adversaries. Why would you need to do that?

Sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Unless you can cite specific posts, we'll have to assume you're merely shadowboxing with contrived, imaginary adversaries. Why would you need to do that?

Sincerely.

I think Cliffy and Willi live in the same bungalowni. That is why they serve us the same kind of baloney.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5