Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    If you want to burn Detroit for a carjacker this place is more fucked up than I ever thought.
    You're correct, GP. It sure is. The stupidity of the comments in this discussion defending this career criminal and encouraging a protest is unbelievable. Total barbarism.

Best line I have read so far on this matter...

"I didn't see a thing."

The video raises questions, but to me, doesn't prove anything either way.

It's good and healthy to ask questions. They guy is probably scum, but that doesn't mean the law shouldn't protect him.

For me, the biggest eyebrow raiser is the knee he gets when he's cuffed any laying there. I don't think it's a huge deal, but the cop should probably get a slap on the wrist for that, or if he has a history, something worse.

The perspective of the video isn't the best, it blocks a lot of what the bad guy is doing.

Also take note of what this guy is accused of, that certainly give credibility that he may not have been the most cooperative subject.

I have to wonder how many of the responders here have ever struggled attempting to arrest someone. That person does not want to be arrested and will end your life if they get the chance.
    Something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    You're correct, GP. It sure is. The stupidity of the comments in this discussion defending this career criminal and encouraging a protest is unbelievable. Total barbarism.
    The stupidity is on your part. What you can't seem to comprehend is this has nothing to do with the carjacking. When the carjacker is arrested, that whole situation is over. Okay? Done. The victims get closure in having the criminal caught. The situation AFTER the guy is in cuffs is totally irrelevant to the situation BEFORE he is in cuffs.

The severity of the crime does not make a difference in what the police are supposed to do AFTER the criminal is arrested. Even if he is a convicted murdered, rapist, terrorist, whatever... that doesn't give the police justification to use force when it's unnecessary such as when he's lying down on the ground in cuffs. That is true EVERY TIME someone is arrested no matter the situation.

It is not a defense of the criminal, it's a restraint on police force.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Oh no, the Jesus cursing! How DARE that officer use foul langauge! Fire him immediately and give this carjacker a six figure civil judgement for having his innocent virgin ears inundated with the officer's mean language! If you want to critique the level of force used, fine, but to bitch about the cop "cursing?"
    It was the criminal who was doing the jesus cursing. It's the cop who got upset about it.

If the cop did anything wrong, he should be prosecuted, and if found guilty, fired and jailed. That doesn't excuse anything from the carjacker's perspective, though.

I do find it sad that the African American community [[generally speaking) doesn't seem to care about rampant violence in the community, and only seems to get outraged and organized when there's an allegation of a white officer doing something wrong to a black criminal, but, in any case, there should be no excuses for officers. They don't get a "free punch", even if the criminal is struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I do find it sad that the African American community [[generally speaking) doesn't seem to care about rampant violence in the community, and only seems to get outraged and organized when there's an allegation of a white officer doing something wrong to a black criminal, but, in any case, there should be no excuses for officers. They don't get a "free punch", even if the criminal is struggling.
    If you don't hear the protests by Black Americans about violence in Black communities, it isn't because they're not happening -- it's because you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ta Nehisi Coates @ that second link
    To the extent that killings by the police generate more outrage, it is completely understandable. Police in America are granted wide range of powers by the state including lethal force. With that power comes a special place of honor. When cops are killed the outrage is always different than when citizens are killed. Likewise when cops kill under questionable terms, more scrutiny follows directly from the logic of citizenship. Great power. Great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    If you don't hear the protests by Black Americans about violence in Black communities, it isn't because they're not happening -- it's because you're not paying attention.
    Where are these protests? There was a big group of people protesting in the Pointes yesterday, over a possible punch given to a carjacker.

There are murders almost every day in Detroit, almost always an African American, yet I don't see any protests. Doesn't excuse police misconduct, but I really don't think people care about the daily carnage in the hood.

People rally against police misconduct, but what I think they're really mad about is the drug war, private prisons, and the erosion of our civil liberties. These incidents are just the proverbial smoking gun protesters need to get people fired up.

Where are these protests?
    Doesn't follow link. Doesn't read stories about protests. Continues asking questions that are by now clearly seen as right-wing talking points and not actual questions.

Here's another link to not follow nor read.

http://www.alternet.org/5-reasons-pe...ck-black-crime

The kicks and the smack after the cuffs are on were a bit much, but probably only deserving of minor repercussions. This certainly isn't a case of criminal charges or firing, but I think some discipline is probably deserved [[suspension, fine, etc.). The cop's history of issues could affect how severe that is.

Yes, there were protests in Grosse Pointe Park today.

Meanwhile, south of the border, there was some rioting, but not race-related.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ticle_20150113

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    People rally against police misconduct, but what I think they're really mad about is the drug war, private prisons, and the erosion of our civil liberties. These incidents are just the proverbial smoking gun protesters need to get people fired up.
    I think it is more that police misconduct is the visible aspect of the increased militarization of our penal system. Most people who rally against police misconduct probably don't think that much about the for profit jail system, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger4me View Post
    I have to wonder how many of the responders here have ever struggled attempting to arrest someone. That person does not want to be arrested and will end your life if they get the chance.
    Something to consider.
    Something to consider before you decide to take the job in the first place. Or maybe you consider beating on handcuffed persons to be one of the job perks.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Given the state of crime in the city, we should be supporting the police to do whatever they need to do to regain control and take the streets back from those who have no respect for themselves or anyone else. God forbid you are ever carjacked and assaulted like this grandmother. You might feel differently if someone like him aims a gun at you and your children.
    Be careful what you wish for Detroit boy. I still have fresh memories of the good old days of the Big 4 in Detroit. I've been knocked around, dragged out of vehicles, punched in the gut and had loaded guns stuck in my face by those guys without ever uttering a word to them. I was never arrested by them for anything in Detroit. They might have been a deterrent to crimes but their actions were unwarranted. Hell, I was robbed 3 or 4 times in Detroit and the people that robbed me were more pleasant than those cops.

I don't really feel one way or the other about that video because I wasn't there and obviously, like you, don't know the entire story. I have to say it doesn't look very good.
    I think most cops do a decent job and I like to feel safe on the streets. But when you say they should be able to do anything they need to do, you merely create a greater divide between the police and the citizens. I don't think that's fair for either party.

If the cop did anything wrong, he should be prosecuted, and if found guilty, fired and jailed. That doesn't excuse anything from the carjacker's perspective, though.

I agree completely. I am also sick of the looser rules that prosecutors apply when analyzing a case of police brutality, which informed the insane grand jury presentation in St. Louis and probably Staten Island too.

The protesters are being matter of fact though-- they simply want action against the officer. The extra punches and the knee warrant a disciplinary proceeding and probably suspension, IMO. On the one hand, there is the fact that making an arrest of a dangerous suspect is dangerous, until he's frisked and in custody. e.g., http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...brooklyn/?_r=1 On the other hand, this situation here was pretty much in control, and I think what we are seeing is officers get carried away with a perhaps natural 'rush' that they felt upon apprehending someone dangerous. Even a real pro's heart would be pounding, but that cannot translate into unjustified physical abuse of someone rendered helpless. Restraint sufficient to overcome ones urges is required, and in this regard I think the citizen's video and the news coverage is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    It's become a trope at this point.

Folks that bring it up don't actually give a shit about black murders, it's just a way to try to shut up conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Yes, there were protests in Grosse Pointe Park today.
    The protesters threatened the city. I believe terroristic threats are mentioned in some recent laws. And people wonder why police departments buy military equipment.

And by the way, most of us were too busy WORKING to attend the protests.

Everyone has their button of what disturbs them, I get it, this is mine todays paper:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...home/21797595/

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...llet/21807841/

Kids, even toddlers over and over...It makes my stomach roll every time I read this and trust, I've read a hundred different versions over the years. Personally I don't care how many times a 51 year old gets slapped around by the cops for pointing a gun at women and CHILDREN. Call me whatever you want, I know what I am and what I'm not and it isn't going to change my mind one bit.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-15-15 at 08:58 PM.

The Free Press had a much different MO than the Detroit News.

DetroitBoy Guest

Since no one has mentioned the victim's perspective today, here's what she thinks while people are busy marching to protect another Detroit thug from coming to justice:

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Carjacking victim: 'We're backing the cops'

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rest/21781937/

Carjacking victim of suspect beaten by cops, calls it justified

http://wjbk.m0bl.net/r/22jcqm
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; January-15-15 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Yes, there were protests in Grosse Pointe Park today....
    Yes! This is the time on DetroitYES! when we watch protesters begin to protest protesting! Attachment 25552
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-15-15 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Something to consider before you decide to take the job in the first place. Or maybe you consider beating on handcuffed persons to be one of the job perks.
    I support beating on tied up and handcuffed carjackers. Detroit is the shape that its in because a segment of the population is pro criminal. End of story.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast