Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by runnerXT View Post
    Wait lol. You wrote a book of an opinion without looking at the video?

Like I said it depends on the type of society you want to live in.
    Dont worry, this perp will walk and carjack again because of this video, and the videographer will be the hero. Who loses? The next unarmed person [[and their kids) who have the car he wants. Apparently that's the "society we want to live in".

Nice work, media.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Dont worry, this perp will walk and carjack again because of this video, and the videographer will be the hero. Who loses? The next unarmed person [[and their kids) who have the car he wants. Apparently that's the "society we want to live in".

Nice work, media.
    Unfortunately, you are very correct.

Nice work, police too. Be careful what we wish for. It can be argued we're heading into a police state at the national level. And I'd NOT be surprised if it's championed and instituted by the same who claim to be rescuing us of from 'misconduct' of the current local and state policing systems.

But that's the way of it: a crisis mitigates a RESPONSE -- lest the crisis go to waste!

Certain properties and political interests will be always be protected [[notice I did NOT say citizens). Some believe policing services should be suspended as punishment for ANY criticism of our current policing, leaving the 'criminals' and the populace [[unable to leave) TO THEMSELVES. Even that will have blow back as there is permeability of borders of ascribed quarantine.

Or maybe an even 'stronger' force will be applied to mitigate any such permeability? I feel it only gets much tougher from here.

Nice work, media.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-14-15 at 06:08 PM.

It weren't much of an ass whupping. I got worse from the Hamtramck Cops back when i was young, dumb and full of...

Alcohol
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; January-14-15 at 12:01 PM.

aj3647
    I'd wager Lowell watched the video, and I did.....about 3-4 times before I even saw this thread.
    I counted 6 blows to the head, & the three kicks by the other cop. How far along the handcuff process was then, I don't think we can know for sure. Yup, those 3 kicks were surely a needed thing, right?

But the two push to the head into the ground & the knee in the back was certainly post cuffing.

Wait until some ruthless cops have you down on the pavement one day, after 30 minutes of BS good cop, bad cop routine, that you KNOW are pummeling you because of who you are, not anything you did. Check back with me. It was not racial, but geographical.

I worked on the streets of Detroit for 7 yrs. in the 70's, somewhat alongside cops as a utility worker. Even being a young lets rock 'em kinda guy in my early years, what I saw left me astounded. A whole lot of judge, jury & executioner BS going on. It's not getting any better, it's getting worse IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Did you even bother watching the video? He was not "manacled and subdued" as they were punching and kicking him. They were attempting to handcuff him at that point. The physical force was employed as part of that process. Until those cuffs are secured and until that gun is secured, he's a deadly threat. And yes, the police are allowed to use physical force to include body blows to effect an arrest if the subject is employing active resistance, and especially if that subject is carrying a gun. It's hardly a "punishment."
    I did. I watched it several times. I clearly understand that use of physical force employed while securing and cuffing the suspect appears justifiable -- the punches and kicks.

But after that, unless there is some clear act that would endanger a law enforcement officer or indeed anybody, any abuse is not legal. That is when the knee in the back furthering blows, albeit lesser, and the Jesus cursing occurred.

As I also added I truly hope there was justification for what occurred after he was manacled. At the time he is still a suspect. I don't want the police to get in trouble and I don't want videos like this to inflame hatred toward them that would endanger them and and enrich the perp with some legal settlement.

An unrelated mystery is why, since he was reported to be reaching for his gun, he was not disarmed immediately. It is four minutes later when the firearm was discovered. My assumption is that they considered him secured enough but then weighs agains what happened when he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I did. I watched it several times. I clearly understand that use of physical force employed while securing and cuffing the suspect appears justifiable -- the punches and kicks.

But after that, unless there is some clear act that would endanger a law enforcement officer or indeed anybody, any abuse is not legal. That is when the knee in the back furthering blows, albeit lesser, and the Jesus cursing occurred.

As I also added I truly hope there was justification for what occurred after he was manacled. At the time he is still a suspect. I don't want the police to get in trouble and I don't want videos like this to inflame hatred toward them that would endanger them and and enrich the perp with some legal settlement.

An unrelated mystery is why, since he was reported to be reaching for his gun, he was not disarmed immediately. It is four minutes later when the firearm was discovered. My assumption is that they considered him secured enough but then weighs agains what happened when he was.
    He was a suspect up until the time the Police found a concealed weapon, [[even though it wasn't an automatic, just a .38) and "needles" on him. [[I'll give him the benefit of a doubt that he's a diabetic) Just out of curiosity, what would you have done in their instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "needles" on him. [[I'll give him the benefit of a doubt that he's a diabetic)
    HT, I think you're being generous. Out on the street like that, I would consider a needle of any kind just as much of a weapon as a gun.

Cops beat up folks all the time, especially black folks. It's a every day trend in this so-called free country. What you folks going to do? protest! It's not going to work.

Folks when the police stop for something, obey their direct protocol. Don't go out in the streets looking like Trayvon Martin, Eric Brown and Eric Garner.

Don't go out into the streets looking like a criminal. Cops love to hunt them down to keep them busy and earn big bonuses and promotions.
    Last edited by Danny; January-14-15 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    He was a suspect up until the time the Police found a concealed weapon, [[even though it wasn't an automatic, just a .38) and "needles" on him. [[I'll give him the benefit of a doubt that he's a diabetic) Just out of curiosity, what would you have done in their instance?
    He could have had a CCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    [/COLOR]
    The big lesson the world is learning is that everyone has a video camera. One must assume he or she is being videoed in a sensational situation, often from several view points.
    This is what I thought when I watched the video. Anyone with a phone can video you for anything. Look at YouTube for examples. It's all legal, so everyone best watch their step regardless of what you're doing because things can be twisted in a flash, especially by some bystander who thinks they know the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Doubtful, but that really doesn't matter. Whether he had it legally or not, the presence of the gun is the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Doubtful, but that really doesn't matter. Whether he had it legally or not, the presence of the gun is the threat.
    That doesn't make sense. That would mean that cops can beat the shit out of anyone with a CCW who gets pulled over for a traffic stop.

That doesn't make sense. That would mean that cops can beat the shit out of anyone with a CCW who gets pulled over for a traffic stop.
    I'm talking about in this specific incident.

Nice work, media.
    Yeah because of the video and not the poor police work!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I'm talking about in this specific incident.
    It doesn't make sense when applied to this either. Nobody is disputing that the cops had just cause to detain him. The dispute is how the cops conducted themselves after he was clearly detained. Finding a gun on someone after they are detained doesn't give the cops the right to smack the person up.

The issue I worry is that too much focus is being put on the part of the kicking and punching which occurred before the suspect was arrested. That's more or less legal and the police will win that in saying it's just.

The focus should be on the actions after the suspect was arrested. The cop clearly got upset at the suspect, puts his knee into the suspect's back, and hits him with the back of his hand a few times. There's no justification in that. Regardless of the crimes committed prior to the arrest, the cop has no justification for his actions post-arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I am constantly amazed by people who are so critical of every step taken by police, and have little criticism for criminals.
    For the record, this doesn't exist.

Some things don't need to be stated as they take away from the relevant issue. In most of these cases, the issue is police conduct. A criminal doing wrong is obvious and doesn't change the issue or provide the police with a free pass to do wrong, as well, despite objections from some posters here. Criticizing police behavior does not mean condoning criminal behavior.

If he didn't have a "CCW" or a CPL, he'll have a CCW now.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    The issue I worry is that too much focus is being put on the part of the kicking and punching which occurred before the suspect was arrested. That's more or less legal and the police will win that in saying it's just.

The focus should be on the actions after the suspect was arrested. The cop clearly got upset at the suspect, puts his knee into the suspect's back, and hits him with the back of his hand a few times. There's no justification in that. Regardless of the crimes committed prior to the arrest, the cop has no justification for his actions post-arrest.
    Watching the video, the suspect's arms are clearly visible, and in that time, the cop on top of him is very clearly NOT handcuffing him, but hitting him while the other cop kicks him. The cop who was on the suspect stops hitting him and gets off, showing a clearly handcuffed person. Please feel free to watch that sequence and show me exactly where the one cop stopped pummeling the suspect long enough to put handcuffs on him

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    ...and it seems like the cop gave him another slap across the face. It's not necessarily a beating, but not exactly professional conduct either. At most that would just be a very minor offense on the cops but not worth anyone getting upset over unless they already have a bias against cops.
    Excuse me? I'd be very upset if I were slapped across the face. What if that were your mom; would it still be not worth getting upset over?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Watching the video, the suspect's arms are clearly visible, and in that time, the cop on top of him is very clearly NOT handcuffing him, but hitting him while the other cop kicks him. The cop who was on the suspect stops hitting him and gets off, showing a clearly handcuffed person. Please feel free to watch that sequence and show me exactly where the one cop stopped pummeling the suspect long enough to put handcuffs on him
    So you're basically saying that the cuffs were on the suspect before the video started?

Well, according to the witness recording the video, the cops were chasing the suspect, the suspect fell, the cops got on top of him, and then the witness started recording. There's no way to determine how long it was from when the suspect fell and when the cops got on top of him, but in the video, you can hear what is presumably the clicking sounds of the handcuffs which is right before the cop gets off of the suspect.

The only other possible explanation would be that the suspect was running while his hands were cuffed. Which actually would still justify the police actions as the suspect would then still be resisting arrest but to which degree, I don't know. But honestly that would require other evidence that isn't from the video.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; January-14-15 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Excuse me? I'd be very upset if I were slapped across the face. What if that were your mom; would it still be not worth getting upset over?
    if my mom had just put a gun in the face of a woman and kid...stole the car, evaded and resisted arrest to the point she needed to be tackled and physically restrained whilst still armed.... I'm not sure her getting a slap from a frustrated cop is top of the list of things I'd be upset about.

The point is, once they had the guy on the ground and under their control, they should cuff him, remove his weapon, and take him in.

They were just beating him because they were pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    If the perps Mom slapped him in the face when he was young, he might not be in the situation he is now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast