Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Favorite Detroit Eccentrics

What are some of your most memorable eccentric characters from Detroit [[forum posters respectfully excluded as topic material)? They can be locals, street people, T.V. personalities, musicians, artists, chefs, bartenders, politicians, socialites, or parade filler. Were they at bars, waiting at line at the banks, a regular fixture at the 4th St. Fair or Dally in the Alley?
    One off the top of my head would be Bob the Singing Bass Player. I'd see him come into the Gold Dollar with his beat-up puffy hat [[swore I thought I saw a hint of tin foil sticking out from under it). Ever environmentally vigilant, he'd sing songs like "Additives Schmadditives!" I still have a copy of "Waiting for Goddard".
    I also remember Terry "The Electric Lung", who would walk around Wayne State or in front of the State Theater [[oh, uh, Fillmore) with his beat up 4-string guitar with all the stickers on it. He'd take requests and launch right into a Zappa, Funkadelic, Motown, or Sabbath song, reciting the lyrics precisely at double time. Real class and soul there. No lie.

A lot of them in the old days hanging around downtown and local events. Like Greektown Stella, Dancing Gus, Polar Bear Gus, Stinky Dinky, and The Brow, of course. And some people who would only be remembered by those involved in certain activities, like the "Fort and WHAT?" guy who used to ride the buses late at night, or the "look at my eyes" guy who used to show up at west side rock shows with eyes painted on his hands. One of my favorites was the very quiet guy who would stand by Kennedy Square passing out home-printed obscene religious tracts.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-13-15 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Like Greektown Stella....
    DetroitYES Home » Discuss Detroit » Stella of Greektown found! RIP, Stella.

Ollie Fretter was my first thought until I thought of the big one, Henry Ford!

I was thinking Lem Barney and his doiby, Mel Farr and that red cape he always had on. [[and he can not fly either)

There is a video doing the rounds on Facebook of a guy that walks up and down Grand River and other roads in a Spider Man costume. Tons of people claim to know him or to have seen him.

In my short time living near Third Street, there were some interesting characters. They all loved Tomboy Market. Not sure why, except the owners were foreign and maybe didn't know to get people to cut the crap.

Anyway, there were two dudes that rode some weird bicycle contraption with a boombox on the back. They'd go around Midtown asking for cigarettes. There was another guy that'd go on rants about being a "working woman" and not having time for whatever behavior was bothering him that day,

Were there strongmen type of characters in Detroit? I'm thinking of a local Guy here who was thought homeless called "Thé Great Antonio. He used to pull busses on downtown streets, must have weighed 400 lbs and had long hair and beard and was awfully dirty.
    Last edited by canuck; January-13-15 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Were there strongmen type of characters in Detroit? I'm thinking of a local Guy here who was thought homeless called "Thé Great Antonio. He used to pull busses on downtown streets, must have weighed 400 lbs and had long hair and beard and was awfully dirty.
    Good call! Have him contact the Detroit Transit Authority, I think we can use him.

How about the "Quarter Lady" who worked the downtown area?

"Got a quarter?"

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good call! Have him contact the Detroit Transit Authority, I think we can use him.
    He's long gone... I found a bit about him. I didn't know he was known outside Montreal but he was once a wrestler etc....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Antonio

Bill Kennedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    He's long gone... I found a bit about him. I didn't know he was known outside Montreal but he was once a wrestler etc....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Antonio
    Good read, he WAS quite the character.

Bill Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    DetroitYES Home » Discuss Detroit » Stella of Greektown found! RIP, Stella.

Ollie Fretter was my first thought until I thought of the big one, Henry Ford!
    Popped my skull when I saw an old weathered Fretter sign in a strip mall in east Somerville, MA [["home of the American Flag"-so they say); there was one that had just opened there right before his chain went under, the locals told me. Some of them even remembered his on-air coffee promise.
    Supposedly Ford used to always have an axe handy in his house-absolutely afraid of being locked in, I guess.

Tsk Tsk Tsk... how soon we forget.... Sonny Eliot!!

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

"Got a quarter?"
    Except I think it was "gotta quatta?" as she sprung from behind a potted plant.

"Got a quarter?"
    When I saw this thread I immediately thought of her! One of my colleagues at NBD informed me that she had an account with the bank, and could be seen making deposits of her daily take at the headquarters branch on the main level.
    Last edited by Chloe; January-14-15 at 09:10 AM.

Santa Claus.

"Got a quarter?"
    I worked in the Lafayette Building from 1976 to 1981...always saw the Quarter Lady on Lafayette during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I worked in the Lafayette Building from 1976 to 1981...always saw the Quarter Lady on Lafayette during the day.
    I used to walk the gauntlet each morning from my parking garage to work. Used to run into her and other panhandlers on Congress both early in the a.m., on the way in, and later, on the way out. The most annoying panhandler was a guy who would approach you with "Oh Great White Father, Can you spare.....etc." I absolutely hated that phrase. I too heard rumors about her deposits and property she supposedly owned, but never saw anything concrete. I never gave money, after a few years she never asked me for any.

I have a friend that once gave her a dollar, not having any change.

The next time their paths crossed it was "Got a quatt..dollah?"

Jimmy Doom. Used to work at Maria's Pizzeria, The Shelter, and Gusoline Alley. Posed naked for the last Orbit Magazine, and used to sing for the band Almighty Lumberjacks of Death. He is now an Actor now hitting Hollywood: Imdb Site

Nick Feldman comes to mind. Known as Santa Claus to some, he rode his bicycle often from the Harper Woods area to Belle Isle. A nice, kind man.
    This one is a stretch: Do any forum contributors remember "Tabu", who lived on Prentis and was a fixture in the North Cass Corridor area for years, in the late sixties/seventies?

How about the guy who has been handing out his rap CD downtown for years? Guy is a complete character.

Does anybody remember Pepe the self proclaimed "best dressed bum downtown" and his dog. Haven't heard or seen him in many many years. He used to hang out in and around Capitol Park. Always wore a raggedy suit, always had his dog with him, and anytime I would see him in the liquor store he insisted he buy me a beverage.

I have found Detroit and the metro area to be the angriest place in the United States. And a lot of that is obvious on this forum. The hate between the city and the suburbs is unparalleled compared to any other major city. May be something that has been passed down through generations.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast