Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default More major retail coming to downtown Detroit

1505 Woodward is already halfway through a gutting so it's pretty likely that whatever retail Gilbert announces will be located there.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...rily-naked.php

I'll give Gilbert credit. He continues to get stuff done. I sympathize with the people that lament the 'corporatization' of Detroit's downtown. A big part of the appeal of Detroit for some people was that it was sort out of the system's grasp, while Gilbert would undoubtedly love to bring in a Cheesecake Factory and all that jazz.

Still, I can't deny that downtown is better now than before. In a way, I wish he'd pull out of Cleveland to really focus himself on Detroit. Seems like he could have the biggest impact and legacy there. Imagine if he would've sold the Cavs and bought the Pistons, moving the team downtown. But, at the same time, you have to appreciate diversification. Plus, making moves like that aren't so easy in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    1505 Woodward is already halfway through a gutting so it's pretty likely that whatever retail Gilbert announces will be located there.

Maybe that's where Restoration Hardware is going. Did anymore details about that leak out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

I don't really think that's an indicator, they have buildings in the area that are tenant ready

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I don't really think that's an indicator, they have buildings in the area that are tenant ready
    What does tenant ready mean exactly? All Gilbert has to do is renovate whatever space for a specific tenant it'll be ready. And that's usually done after they make a deal and long before Gilbert announces anything about it. That's what happened with John Varvatos's store announcement.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...vatos_ope.html

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Maybe that's where Restoration Hardware is going. Did anymore details about that leak out yet?
    Restoration Hardware is rumored to be coming to the Kresge building at 1201 Woodward.

Source: Crain's.

Could Fromms Hardware be returning to Detroit? Remember "You'll find it at Fromms".

A nice little extra from the Freep interview is that Gilbert will place a few Robb Report employees in Detroit.

I really hate announcing that there is going to be an announcement.

What does Dan Gilbert consider "big-name retailers?"

When I hear "big-name," I think Macy's or Target or Dillards [[not Restoration Hardware)...
    Last edited by 313WX; January-12-15 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    A nice little extra from the Freep interview is that Gilbert will place a few Robb Report employees in Detroit.
    hmm... i'll check out their website.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What does Dan Gilbert consider "big-name retailers?"

When I hear "big-name," I think Macy's or Target or Dillards [[not Restoration Hardware)...
    You seem to be confusing "big-name" with "big box". Not every big name is a big box store.

Yes. I don't consider Macy's a big deal. There's already a few around here and I haven't been in one in years. Middlebrow or lower, pretty much. Downtown should be beautiful shops of special things.

Yay Gilbert!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I really hate announcing that there is going to be an announcement.
    Agreed.

And lets not all go thinking it's a Macy's or Target or Apple store. "Major retailers" recently have been Punch Bowl Social and a John Varvatos store. Not exactly catering to the masses with those two. So lets see what exactly he has up his sleeve.

DetroitBoy Guest

Probably be a Target store at the location of where Hudson"s used to be. What goes around comes around!

There is no way it would be that. Trust me, if something that big was happening, there would have been rumors months ago and something would have leaked.

DetroitBoy Guest

There is a flagship Target store in downtown Minneapolis in a former multi-level department store serving urban residents. Target now has grocery and produce at some stores which would meet the needs of downtown residents.

Never say never.

You're not reading my post. I didn't say it can't happen. It's that it could happen and we not have heard even some rumor about something that major. Every serious major project in Detroit just about had some kind of rumblings before the formal announcement, often months before particularly when people are trying to finance stuff and sign tenants. It's hard to keep that under wraps. Sometimes, the developers, themselves, leak something to the press.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    You're not reading my post. I didn't say it can't happen. It's that it could happen and we not have heard even some rumor about something that major. Every serious major project in Detroit just about had some kind of rumblings before the formal announcement, often months before particularly when people are trying to finance stuff and sign tenants. It's hard to keep that under wraps. Sometimes, the developers, themselves, leak something to the press.
    r
    Maybe this is the beginning of the rumblings you mention. It's no secret downtown residents need a place to buy groceries. Most of them grew up with Target stores in their communties. Target wants more stores in urban markets and has enough money to do test concept stores if not a full service store. No financing needed

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/bu...pers.html?_r=0

BTW, lots of rumors have proven to be false. The are pulling out of Notelan. Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    You seem to be confusing "big-name" with "big box". Not every big name is a big box store.
    On the same token, I wouldn't consider places that 99% of people have never heard of [[I.E. John Varvatos and Restoration Hardware) "big-name retailers" either...

The fact is as much as we may praise and bow down to Sir Gilbert for what he has accomplished, he has a terrible habit of overhyping things [[remember how he played up the announcement of the relative unceremonious opening of Punch Bowl Social?), which is why I said what I said. I'm expecting to be underwhelmed when these announcements are made.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-13-15 at 08:25 AM.

On the same token, I wouldn't consider places that 99% of people have never heard of [[I.E. John Varvatos and Restoration Hardware) "big-name retailers" either...

The fact is as much as we may praise and bow down to Sir Gilbert for what he has accomplished, he has a terrible habit of overhyping things [[remember how he played up the announcement of the relative unceremonious opening of Punch Bowl Social?), which is why I said what I said. I'm expecting to be underwhelmed when these announcements are made.
    I don't think John Varvatos was overhyped. That is the biggest thing to happen to Detroit's retail scene since Hudson's closed.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I don't think John Varvatos was overhyped. That is the biggest thing to happen to Detroit's retail scene since Hudson's closed.
    Define "Detroit."

Since Hudson's closed, I'd say Bel-Air Centre [[opened in the mid 1980s), the Kroger store on 7 mile & Gratiot and The Shoppes at Gateway Plaza were much bigger "things" to many more folks than the John Varvatos store.

Except to a handful of people, while it's nice to see any retail on Woodward Avenue and downtown, a small start-up luxury boutique is hardly a big deal nor a place people would go out of their way to shop

Define "Detroit."

Since Hudson's closed, I'd say Bel-Air Centre [[opened in the mid 1980s), the Kroger store on 7 mile & Gratiot and The Shoppes at Gateway Plaza were much bigger "things" to many more folks than the John Varvatos store.

Except to a handful of people, while it's nice to see any retail on Woodward Avenue and downtown, a small start-up luxury boutique is hardly a big deal nor a place people would go out of their way to shop
    It's not a start-up luxury boutique.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast