Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit City Council slims candidate list to 17... Who would YOU pick?

Pick one from the list below and let's see if we can pick the appointee

The months-long process to replace Saunteel Jenkins on the Detroit City Council advanced in a major way on Friday, as the list of candidates to fill the seat was narrowed from 135 to 17. Council members had until 5 p.m. on Friday to submit up to three names from the pool of 135 applicants to advance to an interview round. The council is expected to interview candidates the week of Jan. 19 before voting to appoint Jenkins' replacement for the at-large seat.
    The candidates who advanced to the interview round are:
    Janee' Ayers; John Bennett; David Bullock; Dustin Campbell; Tyrone Carter; Kenneth Donaldson; Fred Durhal; Adam Hollier; Frazier Kimpson; Paula Humphries; Roy McCalister; David Nathan, Bernard Parker; Wanda Redmond; Robert Thomas; Beverly Kindle Walker; and Debra Walker.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ancy/21525273/

Well, kudos, hopefully the best person will get chosen in the end, and hits the ground running, ready to work.

I really thought Adam Hollier was going to beat Mary Sheffield, and was disappointed when he didn't. Because he already ran and ran a fairly strong campaign, I'd like to see him chosen. If I had to guess, however, my gut tells me some stalwart family is going to use his or her connections to wriggle their way in. The Jones/Cushingberry faction will get what it wants if it's able to keep its very narrow coalition together. Because of this, I imagine the likes of Fred Durhal, David Nathan or Bernard Parker are probably out ahead.

Whoever gets the seat has to run in this year's general election to fill out the rest of the former members term.

I think all of the candidates should be given a test to determine who the best fit is. Sample question:

It's 2:30am. You have just left a seedy Detroit strip club where you have been partying all night. Your car reeks of marijuana smoke and you have open containers of alcohol in your vehicle. In your rear-view mirror, you see the lights of a DPD cruiser and hear the sirens, indicating to pull over. Do you:

A) Pull over and declare "DO YOU KNOW WHO THE FUCK I AM?!!"
    B) Demand that a high-ranking supervisor come out to the scene to address your concerns and punish the beat cops just doing their jobs
    C) Wait until the next day, then play the race card to deflect all personal responsibility
    D) All of the above

Anyone who's not on the take

Adam Hollier!!!

Adam Hollier!!!

I liked Hollier on paper. But when I watched him side-by-side in a debate with Sheffield, I felt he didn't measure up, IMHO. However, in competition against the other 16 to fill the vacancy, I think he might be the best candidate.

Whoever gets the seat has to run in this year's general election to fill out the rest of the former members term.
    Dexlin, can you confirm this? I thought the appointment would be for the remainder of the current term. Council doesn't run for re-election until 2017.

Someone with a business background, without a bunch of friends and family in the area.

the final vote should be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Dexlin, can you confirm this? I thought the appointment would be for the remainder of the current term. Council doesn't run for re-election until 2017.
    Yeah, I made a mistake; I was thinking about the old city charter. It seems the charter revision sought to cut down on special elections, so I guess they just fill the seat by appointment.

How about an IQ test?

... how many staffers are allowed to work in each councilperson's office?

Charlie Pugh didn't make the cut-off, wha....?